The technology thread

Bada-Bing!

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Hong Kong
Club or Nation
British Irish Lions
For anything on new laptops, smart phones, desktops, broadband and tech related.

Apple announced new iMacs yesterday. New IPad Pro looks insane with M1 chip. don't like the Chin though.

Bought myself an Air with M1 chip in January. Crazy how the M1 chip has superseded Intel and AMD chips.

Will probably get at least two of these, as I'm already within apple ecosystem. Constantly losing my keys and would be useful to put in the car. But know for non-apple there is the equivalent - Tiles.

Upgraded to iOS 14.5 last night on iPhone . Tried out the Face ID with mask on not realising also need to update apple watch to watch OS 7.4. Still, it works on iPhone, but not on ipad.

So Tesla announce they are no longer accepting bitcoin as payment, citing environmental concerns.
I wonder how much Bitcoin Elon/the board owned before they announced they'd accept it, which caused the price to skyrocket?
It lost £10k off the value when they announced they'd not accept it (bounced back by £4k now, but still massively down) - odds on them selling their bitcoin before announcement, then buying back in the slump?

Will probably get at least two of these, as I'm already within apple ecosystem. Constantly losing my keys and would be useful to put in the car. But know for non-apple there is the equivalent - Tiles.

If you're losing your car I don't think these will help :p

So Tesla announce they are no longer accepting bitcoin as payment, citing environmental concerns.
I wonder how much Bitcoin Elon/the board owned before they announced they'd accept it, which caused the price to skyrocket?
It lost £10k off the value when they announced they'd not accept it (bounced back by £4k now, but still massively down) - odds on them selling their bitcoin before announcement, then buying back in the slump?

Very high I'd imagine, I'd say they are on dodgy (dogey) market manipulation ground but do the laws apply to cryptocurrency?

Aye
Crypto is a crazy investment but damn it's scary how much influence one person has over them.

Further losses on Bitcoin after China cracks down on it.
On the one hand, a method of moving money around without being reliant on big financial institutions and getting charged for using their archaic systems seems great, power to the people. On the other, something that has encouraged people to burn an Argentina's worth of power has an unacceptable cost and can die in a non-carbon producing grease fire.

Does anyone understand this well enough to explain what happens when all the Bitcoins have been mined? The way it's been explained to me (a couple of documentaries), at this point, there will be no incentive for anyone to maintain the blockchain, so the whole thing will collapse. Obviously this isn't the case, but I'd be interested to learn why not.

Did anyone see the episode of Dragon's Den a few weeks ago featuring the web browser that paid you to use it (Gener8)? It's based on the Chrome browser and works by replacing adverts in a webpage with their own ads, then paying you a percentage of the revenue as point which can be used to buy things in their store. You can earn extra points by referring people, so if you're interested in trying it out, I'd be grateful if you would use my referral link:

https://refer.gener8ads.com/r/Pgo8h9

The points earned for subsequent referrals drop off, so I'm more than happy to delete my referral link once I've referred someone so that someone else can post their link.

Latest posts