• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Thin Blue Line

I'm a fan of the Peter Bleksley (ex undercover met officer and "celebrity policeman") episodes of JaackMate's Happy Hour. In one of them he is candied about the proportion of the Met who were abhorrent racists during his time there. He also mentions that he was thrown out of the former officers' association!

And still prevalent.

Two of them have been jailed for 12 weeks but bailed pending an appeal. "Just banter" according to them.

No wonder the Met police get such a bad rep.

What a surprise...

It doesn't shock me wife stories of the Ambulance Service are bad enough if the type of people who do it, why and what they get up to.
I remember listening to a podcast about how the police/sheriff departments in the states work, basically they dont even talk to each other let alone have any oversight. So there are loads of stories where a cop is accused (and sometimes proven and fired for) of a crime...and they just go to the next town or county over and sign up with the next department...multiple times..so dodgy

Gets worse.
I'm a big supporter of the Police in general and still believe that the large majority are well meaning and try their best in difficult circumstances.

But this is just awful. The 'minority' of rotten officers is way too big. An absolute failure of leadership going back years.

I'm a big supporter of the Police in general and still believe that the large majority are well meaning and try their best in difficult circumstances.

But this is just awful. The 'minority' of rotten officers is way too big. An absolute failure of leadership going back years.
Part of the issue appears to be and certainly in the Met is the mentality in 70's got swept up and hidden rather than possibly other forces who did properly clean up their act.

I'm not saying other are better but does feel like the Met has a far bigger problem than others and complete lack of self awareness. I've said before part of the issue is the kind of people police forces want to recruit and do think unlikely the military their reluctance to provide a career track to university educated people is massive issue.

I know for one I would trust a met officer in my life I'd be incredibly sceptical of anything they told me.

Still as kid who never had a reason to worry about "The Law" I do think as I get older I get this song more and more.

Policing in the 70's in particular CID and regional crime squads were very much a cross between "life on mars" and the "Sweeney". The police operated under Judges rules and it was a very different ball game. Changing to PACE 1984 was a massive wake up call the Police needed then.

A number of forces now train along side universities so that probationary officers obtain a degree in policing. Most other degrees can't prepare people for front line policing at PC level. Communication skills are certainly the most required skill in policing. Especially as a beat cop or as response officer.

I'm not convinced that once you get past or near Chief Inspector level, you need to have been a PC and risen through the ranks. Hence why they had direct entry trials at Inspector - superintendent level. As these are more budget setting strategies based roles rather than day to day blue lighting it.

A number of forces now train along side universities so that probationary officers obtain a degree in policing.
This is more what was getting at no different to paramedics or nursing. I just think there needs to be a direct route in conjunction with the force that is a potential 'fast track' through the earlier stages of an officer career.

There are plenty of smart people out there who would make excellent police officers (I would be terrible at it) but currently its not really a path open to them. They are far more likely to have adjacent careers rather than be part of the force itself.

The real life Sargent Angel:

They get such a bad rap. Good to give one credit.

Last one should be prosecuted. He may think it's funny and people may say it's harmless but for someone in need it could be the difference between life and death.
That one really was taking the ****. And yes should be prosecuted. Sad really that people like that have nothing better to do.

Latest posts