The tip/ spear tackle

Olliekooga

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
Hi guys
Once again this subject has raised its ugly head complete with broken neck and dislocated shoulders.

I think even the most ardent Welsh fan would be hard pressed to argue Bradley Davies didnt deserve a red card let alone yellow, but what about Ferris'. I didnt see a problem with it at the time (and still dont) and thought the ref had blown for something else until I saw the replay which showed the tackle from Ferris.

Obviously some voices will be heard speaking of inconsistency and the problem of players knowing what is and isn't permitted. Here is the IRB stance

Law 10.4(j) reads: Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player’s feet are still off the ground such that the player’s head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play.
A directive was issued to all Unions and Match Officials in 2009 emphasizing the IRB’s zero-tolerance stance towards dangerous tackles and reiterating the following instructions for referees:
- The player is lifted and then forced or ‘speared’ into the ground (red card offence)
- The lifted player is dropped to the ground from a height with no regard to the player’s safety (red card offence)
- For all other types of dangerous lifting tackles a yellow card or penalty may be considered sufficient

with this in mind and applying strictly to the Ferris tackle
1. Did he lift him off the ground - Yes (only just is good enough)
2. Did his (Evans I think) upper body come into contact with the ground - Yes

Does this mean Ferris should have seen a red card as well.

I personally believe the context of the game has to be taken into contact and the perceived intent but I am a humble prop and would like to know what the illuminatus of the rugby world (you guys) think

Ollie

Well in Bradley Davies case he should of been sent off no excuses there it was a terrible tackle but was it a tackle or was it just two men fighting in retliation on the foul on Adam Jones prior to this incident, but I think Steven Ferris case I think the yellow card he recieved was sufficent as Ian Evans foot was still on the ground also takng Evans heigth into this by the time he tilted over it probably looked wore than it was.

Latest posts