• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Ulster Thread

My thoughts on Ulster's season.

We were consistently good in the Pro14, except against Leinster, but disappointing in the Heineken Cup, and catastrophic in the Rainbow Cup.

Coetzee announcing he was leaving was I think the turning point, and then his (possibly diplomatic) injury ending his time at Ulster. We weren't the same after that. Timoney is showing signs of becoming a quality number 8, but he's a different kind of player. The team was set up with Coetzee's qualities in mind, and without Coetzee, the game plan didn't work so well.

Cooney's injury against Leicester was another turning point. We were in control of the game until he went off, and then collapsed, and continued that collapse in the Rainbow Cup. We need him in the big games. Mathewson can't keep the game ticking against better teams the way Cooney can. I assume Mathewson was signed on the assumption that Cooney would be away on Ireland duty and we'd need cover, but as it turned out two scrum halves was enough, and I think Shanahan would have done as well as Mathewson.

I think we missed Billy Burns when he was away with Ireland, and when we got him back his confidence was damaged. I like Burns, I think he's a talented player with good distribution and a great attacking kicking game, but I'm not sure about his big game mentality. Ian Madigan is not as good a distributor or tactical kicker, but he's a machine as a goal kicker and does have big game mentality - he has nerves of steel and his confidence is undentable.

Michael Lowry had a wonderful season at full-back, one of our most exciting players to watch. It was good to have Rob Baloucoune back from injury, but his handling was a bit unreliable - probably rusty from being out so long. I think Rob Lyttle is an underrated player. If James Shume keeps playing the way he is, he'll be in the Ireland reckoning soon enough. And having Addison back next season will as good as signing a new player.

Ulster squad for next season announced.

Compared to last season's squad, it's seven out and seven in, but all the seven in are promoted from the Academy, and six of them have already appeared for the senior team.

Out:
  • Kyle McCall (prop, out of contract)
  • Adam McBurney (hooker, off to Edinburgh)
  • Marcell Coetzee (back row, back to Sith Ifrica)
  • Bill Johnston (out-half, loan to Ealing Trailfinders made permanent)
  • Alby Matthewson (scrum-half, out of contract)
  • Matt Faddes (back 3, out of contract)
  • Louis Ludik (back 3, retired)
In
  • Callum Reid (prop, 5 appearances for the senior team)
  • Tom Stewart (hooker, no appearances for the senior team)
  • Cormac Izuchukwu (second row, 6 appearances for the senior team)
  • David McCann (back row, 6 appearances for the senior team)
  • Nathan Doak (scrum-half, 2 appearances for the senior team)
  • Ethan McIlroy (back 3, 15 appearances for the senior team)
  • Aaron Sexton (back 3, 1 appearance for the senior team)
Position-wise, we're up one second row, and down one out-half. Izuchukwu reinforces the second row, and Johnston isn't replaced, but Angus Curtis is fit and I assume Michael Lowry will get more game time at 10 next season, so we have four in that position, which is enough cover.

Missed this last week.

Missed this last week.
And three of them - McKee, Saunderson and Sheridan - are from my old school, Sullivan Upper in Holywood. We were always rubbish at rugby when I was there, and I'm only aware two old boys who became professional players, Dave Erskine and Darren Cave. Now we've got three in one year!

Had one of Louis Ludik's burgers earlier today grilled by Gareth Milasinovich. Not a world beater, but a decent burger.

Had one of Louis Ludik's burgers earlier today grilled by Gareth Milasinovich. Not a world beater, but a decent burger.
They're decent, at the very least a different taste to the other kinds we have over here. I'm a fan just for a change

Duane Vermeulen signs for Ulster. Delighted with that!

Vermeulen has Covid after being with the BaaBaas so his arrival in Belfast is even further delayed.

Not great news but hopefully only a couple of games missed. Definitely not ideal but as long as he's ready to go over the December period (are they still interprovincial heavy this year?) Then that's the main thing

Supposedly chased big Kitshoff - which may mean they don't expect Jack McGrath to make it back... or at least regain the form he once had.

Supposedly chased big Kitshoff - which may mean they don't expect Jack McGrath to make it back... or at least regain the form he once had.

He was warming up all night on Saturday with the Ulster subs. Could be back soon enough.

Hopefully. Be a big shame if he ended up out of the game so relatively young.

Jared Payne away at the end of the season.

That'll be a big loss I think.

Latest posts