• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Ulster Thread

Really devastated to hear this news tbh. Apparently it was a police car chase (not involving him obviously). Heard he was a fantastic character and I loved watching him play. Sad.

McGrath and Reidy among five players to depart Ulster at end of season https://the42.ie/5775043

Jack McGrath a rehabbing free agent but not retiring. That hip injury really did a number on him.

McGrath and Reidy among five players to depart Ulster at end of season https://the42.ie/5775043

Jack McGrath a rehabbing free agent but not retiring. That hip injury really did a number on him.

Reidy carried us for a number of (very dark) years - pretty much doing the work of the full back row at times. He's dropped down the pecking order now for whatever reason - prob best for him to move on. Goes with my thanks and gratitude.

JMcG's hips have destroyed him. Tbh, I'm not sure whether its in his long term interests to keep trying at it.

Another one I'd be concerned with the long term future of - Jordi Murphy. Last week he wasn't in the match squad, but was there for the pre-match warmup and stayed on the field after the match squad went in to the changing rooms - he then did a number of "sprints", whether it be cool down or a fitness test or whatever.

But fuk me. The fella wasn't running knee deep in water, he was running knee deep in superglue! There was heavy strapping on one knee and maybe that contributed - but it was alarmingly slow. I quite possibly could still run backwards as fast as he was sprinting*... and my knees and hamstrings are completely fuked.

*I'm genuinely not exaggerating here. 15 years ago I'd be quite confident of running backwards quicker than that!

Reidy carried us for a number of (very dark) years - pretty much doing the work of the full back row at times. He's dropped down the pecking order now for whatever reason - prob best for him to move on. Goes with my thanks and gratitude.

JMcG's hips have destroyed him. Tbh, I'm not sure whether its in his long term interests to keep trying at it.

Another one I'd be concerned with the long term future of - Jordi Murphy. Last week he wasn't in the match squad, but was there for the pre-match warmup and stayed on the field after the match squad went in to the changing rooms - he then did a number of "sprints", whether it be cool down or a fitness test or whatever.

But fuk me. The fella wasn't running knee deep in water, he was running knee deep in superglue! There was heavy strapping on one knee and maybe that contributed - but it was alarmingly slow. I quite possibly could still run backwards as fast as he was sprinting*... and my knees and hamstrings are completely fuked.

*I'm genuinely not exaggerating here. 15 years ago I'd be quite confident of running backwards quicker than that!
All lads for all provinces not in match day 23 do that work

All lads for all provinces not in match day 23 do that work
The cool down or be a support group on the warmup?

Either way - doesn't change where I was going with it - he's so slow its definitely going to affect quick supporting of rucks and running an openside's support lines.

The cool down or be a support group on the warmup?

Either way - doesn't change where I was going with it - he's so slow its definitely going to affect quick supporting of rucks and running an openside's support lines.
He may have been going through motions like if not part of 23 you would do additional shuttle runs etc when 23 go in before game and after game assist with warm up

He may have been going through motions like if not part of 23 you would do additional shuttle runs etc when 23 go in before game and after game assist with warm up

Body language was not of a man going through the motions* unfortunately.

*clarify: By this I mean - he was pumping as hard as he could. Easy to see in the body language.

Body language was not of a man going through the motions* unfortunately.

*clarify: By this I mean - he was pumping as hard as he could. Easy to see in the body language.
Hopefully not as I like Jordi. Do know he had a child recently too so maybe the new routine isn't a smooth transition

Marty Moore stood down for concussion. JTA signing good timing...

Dan McFarland gone.

Not a surprise really. We've slid backward badly the past couple of seasons. It's become pretty clear that the gem in the coaching team was Jared Payne. Since he's gone, its been more or less downhill with a few sporadic performances.

Dunno who will come in now, Richie Murphy will have it till season's end after the U-20s. Maybe Payne himself.

The task is considerable - and it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say much of it is beyond the scope of the senior 1sts head coach. Demographics and the high-level of organisation in Leinster means the other 3 provinces are always going to be scrambling; but we can definitely do better than mid-table drudgery.

Dan McFarland gone.

Not a surprise really. We've slid backward badly the past couple of seasons. It's become pretty clear that the gem in the coaching team was Jared Payne. Since he's gone, its been more or less downhill with a few sporadic performances.

Dunno who will come in now, Richie Murphy will have it till season's end after the U-20s. Maybe Payne himself.

The task is considerable - and it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say much of it is beyond the scope of the senior 1sts head coach. Demographics and the high-level of organisation in Leinster means the other 3 provinces are always going to be scrambling; but we can definitely do better than mid-table drudgery.
I think Richie Murphy is the next in line. Has all the signals.
He has alot of new guys brought in to the U20 coaching team that spells out succession.

Would be interesting to see the coaching team as a whole.
Roddy Grant I think has gone stale there and Ulster forwards should be producing alot more.

Kind of get the feeling Murphy might not necessarily want it on a permanent basis. Seems to love the 20s gig

Kind of get the feeling Murphy might not necessarily want it on a permanent basis. Seems to love the 20s gig
He does but his ambition was to get the Leinster backs coach gig, I think he will want to go to senior level.

Latest posts