• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The World Cup format, going forward

your kidding right? We are talking 1 extra game per team every four years!!

Yes. I love the French talking about international games raising player workloads - without a hint of irony. Cancel one exhibition game outside of the season (eg Sharks vs Toulon) - and there is no added number of games.

I don't see why the state of world rugby should be at all dictated by the introverted French leagues and mentality.

I don't see why the state of world rugby should be at all dictated by the introverted French leagues and mentality.

Its not, the fact jsut is that in france , club pays players, not the federation, so the fight is between clubs and federation over calendar etc. Clubs are fed up to pay for players they cant use half of season.
But be sure france has no influence at all on how wc goes on, we had the same calendar as japan or fidji, so...

Come on, now, teams have 2-3 warm-up matches before the World Cup anyway. With 24 teams in 6 groups of 4, with 2 fairly easy matches for the Tier 1 teams, you can cut on warm-up matches.

The question is what do you want from a World Cup: a "carnival" of showcasing the game around the world, or a hyper-elite tournament like the Champions Trophy in cricket or hockey. Elite teams will prevail anyway, be it 12-team or 24-team World Cup. But I just think there are enough Tier 1 matches in any given calendar year, and the World Cup is about something else.

Come on, now, teams have 2-3 warm-up matches before the World Cup anyway. With 24 teams in 6 groups of 4, with 2 fairly easy matches for the Tier 1 teams, you can cut on warm-up matches.

The question is what do you want from a World Cup: a "carnival" of showcasing the game around the world, or a hyper-elite tournament like the Champions Trophy in cricket or hockey. Elite teams will prevail anyway, be it 12-team or 24-team World Cup. But I just think there are enough Tier 1 matches in any given calendar year, and the World Cup is about something else.

And that is where we disagree!

I have been really really impressed with the tier 2 teams. They are getting much much better. No beatings above 70. Any talk of excluding them or having a secondary competition for them would be wrong. The more they play the tier 1 teams the better.

I have been really really impressed with the tier 2 teams. They are getting much much better. No beatings above 70. Any talk of excluding them or having a secondary competition for them would be wrong. The more they play the tier 1 teams the better.

The biggest misconception amongst many in the Rugby World is that the T2 countries are still amateur. The only real amateur team in this competition now is Uruguay. Canada and the US have a healthy smattering of players in the European leagues as do the Pacific Islands, Japan is 100% professional, Georgia and Romania to a lesser extent have a large number of players in France while the Romanian league is now professional. It's a lower level probably closer to Italian Excellenza level but the players train everyday. Even Namibia have a large number of players playing professionally.

No need to change the format at this stage but if you want to increase to 24 teams just add one team to each pool and then add one week to the competition.

For qualification so we get a fair draw, this would be my way of doings things. For qualifying, I would combine the Asian and Pacific qualification process as opposed to previous qualifiers. And then I would guarantee one team from each region. Then based on how the other teams in each region go in qualifying, I would allocate 4 Repechage spots. For this there could be 4 Repechage qualifying pools of say 4 teams. So lets take an example.

Lets say from this world cup the Pools end up finishing like the following (just random guesses):

Pool A - Australia, Wales, England, Fiji, Uruguay
Pool B - South Africa, Scotland, Japan, Samoa, USA
Pool C - New Zealand, Argentina, Georgia, Tonga, Namibia
Pool D - Ireland, France, Italy, Romania, Canada (unless Romania and France win today)

So through go the Australia, Wales, England, South Africa, Scotland, Japan, New Zealand, Argentina, Georgia, Ireland, France, Italy.

Then the regional take place. Lets say the regional qualifiers are:

Europe: Romania, Oceania/Asia: Samoa, Americas: USA, Africa: Namibia

Then you take the next best four teams from each region. So for example (based on what we saw last time):

Europe: Russia, Portugal, Spain, Belgium
Oceania/Asia: Fiji, Tonga, Hong Kong, Korea (I assume the other Pacific Nations wouldn't mount a big challenge).
Americas: Canada, Uruguay, Chile, Brazil
Africa: Zimbabwe, Kenya, Madagascar, Tunisia.

Then you allocate them a Repechage Pool based on their World Ranking. Do this in a random draw. So the tiers for these pools would be similar to that of the actual World Cup Draw.

So according to the rankings today, the tiers would be like this:

Tier 1: Fiji, Tonga, Canada, Uruguay
Tier 2: Spain, Russia, Chile, Hong Kong
Tier 3: Korea, Belgium, Zimbabwe, Kenya
Tier 4: Portugal, Brazil, Tunisia, Madagascar,

So for example the Pools could be:

Pool A - Fiji, Hong Kong, Belgium, Brazil
Pool B - Canada, Russia, Korea, Madagascar
Pool C - Tonga, Spain, Kenya, Tunisia
Pool D - Uruguay, Chile, Zimbabwe, Portugal

These games can be played at a random venue - possibly in Japan this time around as they are hosting the world cup. Then the winner of these Pools each go through to the World Cup. Then when you want to expand the tournament to 24 teams, the top two from these Pools will go through.

Finally, when everyone has qualified, the draw will for the World Cup will be done. This can be done a year before the tournament and when everyone has qualified. The rankings of every single team can be taken into account, so teams like Fiji (who are ranked 10th in the world but probably won't gain automatic qualification) can be put into the 3rd tier for the draw.

I hope this isn't overly complicated haha.

After some thought, if we truly want to use the RWC to promote the game, why not look to take it to the "minnows" countries?

After Japan, let's go to Georgia or the USA rather than the Tier 1 countries?

The impact it would make would be fantastic, and far more than the odd international game, and I really have little doubt that the TV and spectators would follow in their droves!

That would have a significant impact in expanding the game!!

After some thought, if we truly want to use the RWC to promote the game, why not look to take it to the "minnows" countries?

After Japan, let's go to Georgia or the USA rather than the Tier 1 countries?

The impact it would make would be fantastic, and far more than the odd international game, and I really have little doubt that the TV and spectators would follow in their droves!

That would have a significant impact in expanding the game!!

Arent you 1 world cup late on that suggestion?

I agree though. I don't think it will be that long before the RWC is held in the USA.

I think 7s at the Olympics will be a catalyst for rugby expansion around the world too. I mean if you see what is going on in places like Brasil it actually already is!

"Arent you 1 world cup late on that suggestion? "

Probably knowing me but can I ask why?

I was in favour of Japan being the hosts before the 2011 stitch up that meant it went to NZ!!

"Arent you 1 world cup late on that suggestion? "

Probably knowing me but can I ask why?

I was in favour of Japan being the hosts before the 2011 stitch up that meant it went to NZ!!

Sorry, I just meant with the RWC in Japan in 2019 it has already been given to a country outside of the tier 1s. Hopefuly that continues though. One would think USA is the next logical choice.

How would Argentina go hosting a RWC? That would be cool and perhaps a chance for a 3rd S.A. nation to compete?

According to Wiki both Argentina and USA were considered likely bidders for 2023 but both have pulled the pin. Perhaps one or the other can get a bid together for 2027? By then I would hope the tournament will have expanded by a couple teams or more as well.

No probs! I just thought that the 2023 and 2027 could go outside Tier 1 teams too!!

Why not spend some of the huge profits to assist these countries as part of the development programme?

No probs! I just thought that the 2023 and 2027 could go outside Tier 1 teams too!!

Why not spend some of the huge profits to assist these countries as part of the development programme?

Yeah agred. Looks like 2023 will go to a tier 1 though. Bids in from France, Italy, Ireland and SA.

Hopefuly Italy gets it!

2027 - I really hope it goes to either Argentina or USA and with that in mind I hope team numbers are increased by 2023 so that come 2027 a few of those teams will be competative to a point!

arg is the only tier ona who hasnt host a wc and ut look we willnever will. japan? gets it before us what a bunch of crap. and how many times did the british host it? if usa gets a rwc before us ill will start to follow polo.

arg is the only tier ona who hasnt host a wc and ut look we willnever will. japan? gets it before us what a bunch of crap. and how many times did the british host it? if usa gets a rwc before us ill will start to follow polo.

I think It's because Argentina is far from Everyone.... except Uruguay...

@petite - Easy there Tiger!!

For a start Italy hasnt hosted the RWC yet either.

More to the point though, you have to bid to host. Have you ever bid to host the RWC? I'm not sure you ever have :(

You certainly didnt bid for the 2019 RWC so you weren't gonna get that one over Japan were you!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Argentina have expressed interest in the 2023 World Cup but in the declined to bid didn't they.

Yup - they pulled their bid for 2023 - so unless petite puts his own bid in I figure he's gonna be angry a little while longer!

I think It's because Argentina is far from Everyone.... except Uruguay...

yes.. cos` new zealand is nearby

- - - Updated - - -

sorry i used to be a flanker.. didnt know they pulled the bid for 23 italy?? jaja really

Latest posts