• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The World Cup Project - Playable demo

This might just be the most frustrating game Ive played in ages. The amount of times it just refused to pass the ball on to a free man on the wing was ridiculous, opposition gets so many more turnovers than you, even on the easiest setting, and in the last min or so, they'll score 2 or 3 tries because it's impossible to tackle as them as they break through everything or your players just refuse to tackle them...
My fly half randomly booting it dead off a penalty was a bit annoying too. Need to fi the whole not being able to pass until the defence is set. Apart from those, the basis of a tidy rugby game in the future.

This might just be the most frustrating game Ive played in ages. The amount of times it just refused to pass the ball on to a free man on the wing was ridiculous, opposition gets so many more turnovers than you, even on the easiest setting, and in the last min or so, they'll score 2 or 3 tries because it's impossible to tackle as them as they break through everything or your players just refuse to tackle them...
My fly half randomly booting it dead off a penalty was a bit annoying too. Need to fi the whole not being able to pass until the defence is set. Apart from those, the basis of a tidy rugby game in the future.

Thanks for the feedback.

Press the pass button untill the passing animation starts for best results. It is frustrating at first but once you get better you should be able to thrash the ai on rookie.
On the lower difficulty settings the rucks are actually weighted in your favour. But ultimately they will mostly be one by the team he gets men their early. So you can lurk around the tackle area to improve your chances of winning the ruck.

Try to stick with it until you get a win on rookie. That should give you enough time to get the hang of timing and flow of the game.
We designed this to be tough but fair(we think!), and frustration comes along with that, but we can always tone things down on rookie if people
are finding it too frustrating.

Both sides will likely be suffering from fatigue late in the game which results in things opening up, particulary with missed tackles. The
AI will also become much more aggressive if they are losing and time is running out.

You should be able to pass before the defence is set. Each ruck takes a certain amount of time before the ball is available, sometimes this
is quick and sometimes long. It is not linked to the defence setting even though it may appear that way sometimes.

With regards to your fly half kicking it dead.....the goal kicking penalties etc are all automatic at the moment. A small hang up of converting
a non-playable manager into a playabe game. These will all be user controlled in the future/final release.

Thanks for the feedback, we appreciate you guys taking the time to check out the demo.

EDIT: I might try putting togther a tutorial video over the next few days, this might help a bit.

You guys are among the first to play this. GPred and myself have been playing it for so long that it is second
nature to us! So you feedback is important.

Last edited:
Cheers for the replies guys I always get frustrated at sports games when I first play them so hope i dont sound too harsh :p nice to see someone having a crack at a new rugby game anyway! I'll keep at it though!
One question, what made you go for A (on the Xbox controller) as the sprint button? Quite different from most rugby and football ***les I've played, that took some getting used too!
One thing I do like ery much - sniping with the Scrum Half, especially off a scrum.

Cheers for the replies guys I always get frustrated at sports games when I first play them so hope i dont sound too harsh :p nice to see someone having a crack at a new rugby game anyway! I'll keep at it though!
One question, what made you go for A (on the Xbox controller) as the sprint button? Quite different from most rugby and football ***les I've played, that took some getting used too!
One thing I do like ery much - sniping with the Scrum Half, especially off a scrum.
No worries. We expect plenty of criticism. Especially when we have done things a little differently like you say (and of course because there is a lot to improve!).
I think the main reason for using A as sprint was that we wanted to preserve the shoulder buttons for passing Jonah Lomu style (the old School Jonah Lomu Rugby game).

Another cool thing is that we are the guys doing the work. So any specific feedback we can actually directly address and try and change. One thing we probably won't change is the fact that it will be challenging. That's the reason we made this game....we didn't find other Rugby games challenging enough.

There will be a lot of people who don't like that and will prefer a quick fix of awesome graphics with Sonny Bill style magic around every bend. There is already a game that does a fantastic job of that.........Rugby Challenge!

No worries. We expect plenty of criticism. Especially when we have done things a little differently like you say (and of course because there is a lot to improve!).
I think the main reason for using A as sprint was that we wanted to preserve the shoulder buttons for passing Jonah Lomu style (the old School Jonah Lomu Rugby game).

Another cool thing is that we are the guys doing the work. So any specific feedback we can actually directly address and try and change. One thing we probably won't change is the fact that it will be challenging. That's the reason we made this game....we didn't find other Rugby games challenging enough.

There will be a lot of people who don't like that and will prefer a quick fix of awesome graphics with Sonny Bill style magic around every bend. There is already a game that does a fantastic job of that.........Rugby Challenge!

I play rugby challenge a lot due to me loving rugby and having no other game to play. There are a couple of main things that anoy me.

1. Is the way the opposition score trys! If i choose to play how a real rugby team would play it is fun and gaps do open up or you get 2 on 1 type situations but the opposition when they need to score just offload all round the field and then score. They never work the phases and seem to have a plan.

2. Quick ball does not exist - i never seem to be able to get quick ball ever meaning the opposition defence is always in line.

3. Players never really get fatigued - i think if you played a full length 80 mintute game they would but i want that level of fatigue when i play a 10 minute game as its too unrealistic.

4. The opposition only put players into a ruck when the computer knows they will win a turnover, the AI has super natural knowledge.

5. No player form or confidence which means the game gets really boring in tornament mode.

6. AI never makes subs

7. Not any minor knocks picked up which lowers a players fatigue (this used to be in RUgby 08 i think) it was a brilliant real life feature.

8. No injuries after all subs have been made! Just unrealistic

These are a few things i thought i'd just comment on in hope you have noticted them and tired to not have these problems in your new game, i look forward to trying it out and good luck to you.

I play rugby challenge a lot due to me loving rugby and having no other game to play. There are a couple of main things that anoy me.

1. Is the way the opposition score trys! If i choose to play how a real rugby team would play it is fun and gaps do open up or you get 2 on 1 type situations but the opposition when they need to score just offload all round the field and then score. They never work the phases and seem to have a plan.

2. Quick ball does not exist - i never seem to be able to get quick ball ever meaning the opposition defence is always in line.

3. Players never really get fatigued - i think if you played a full length 80 mintute game they would but i want that level of fatigue when i play a 10 minute game as its too unrealistic.

4. The opposition only put players into a ruck when the computer knows they will win a turnover, the AI has super natural knowledge.

5. No player form or confidence which means the game gets really boring in tornament mode.

6. AI never makes subs

7. Not any minor knocks picked up which lowers a players fatigue (this used to be in RUgby 08 i think) it was a brilliant real life feature.

8. No injuries after all subs have been made! Just unrealistic

These are a few things i thought i'd just comment on in hope you have noticted them and tired to not have these problems in your new game, i look forward to trying it out and good luck to you.

We certainly have tried to address all the things
we find frustrating in other games. Thats one of
the reasons why we started this project.

1. Our main focus has been on the AI and we feel that it
is definately the strong point of our game. The AI
score real rugby tries too! I will post a video of
some AI tries later today.

2. Quick ball is possible, each ruck takes a unique
amount of time for the ball to free up creating
a varitey of quick and slower phases.

3. Player fatigue is a huge factor. Players will
expend energy and become fatigued multiple times througout
the game based on their fitness.This is scaled
to suit the half length you choose.

4. We don't have player form or confidence at this stage,
but the fatigue system goes a long way to ensuring
matches don't play out the same way evey time.

6. We only have subs based on injury, which is
automatic for both teams.

7. Players will expend energy steadliy as they get
around the pitch but activities like making tackles
and joining rucks take larger chunks of energy, meaning
high ruck numbers and long periods on defence can cost
you later

8. After all subs are used you can still be injured, you
will just stay on the field and play hurt.

The learning curve might be a bit steep at the moment, but
your tries and victories are hard earned and it makes them
that much sweeter!

Last edited:

Latest posts