• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tier 2 June Internationals

Welshdragon2000

Academy Player
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Ospreys
So there's no thread for any of the 'lesser' international games this weekend and there's usually little participation in them when one is created so let's compile them all together this time.

So this weekend (June 9-10) the fixtures are:
Japan vs Italy
USA vs Russia
Tonga vs Georgia
Fiji vs Samoa
Canada vs Scotland (Scotland aren't tier 2 but oh well).

My predictions are Japan, USA, Georgia, Fiji and Scotland to win this week.

Japan win 34-17, much more comfortable than I was expecting. Anyone watch this?

Japan win 34-17, much more comfortable than I was expecting. Anyone watch this?

I did.

Match was close, with small differences to either side, until the Japanese try at minute 61.

Japan played nicely, and you should look for the highlights, one of their tries was superb.

Apparently Super Rugby is working better for Japan than Pro14 is for Italy. Japanese team looked fitter, their backs way faster than Italians, and their forwards were heavier than the Italians...

Italy did OK on the first half and maybe got tired on the second half. Their defense was horrible, to be honest, but that is no news, and they suffered a lot on the touch, which was a surprise to me. Ghiraldini didn't have his best match throwing from the line, and it caused a couple of turnovers inside Japan's 22.

A few good plays of Campagnaro, Licata and Polledri to maintain a bit of faith on the future, but I am more and more worried with the forward pack. They did not suffered at the scrum (nor were dominant either), but didn't have the strength at maul and ruck they used to have.

Italy played really fast in the first half, and that's nice to see, but without powerfull ballcarriers it had difficulties gaining yards. And its classic touch line and maul play did not work, with lots of turnovers and a couple of not advancing mauls.

I like the new attacking game with the backs, but Italy is no Fiji. The pack is too light, and playing with Zanni and Budd as locks does not work. Nor at scrum, nor at touch; and it does not help so much on open play either.

I would prefer to have a more classic approach with the forwards. There is talent in the third line, but it also need to be competitive against stornger packs, and now it doesn't.

I hope the likes of Riccioni, Mancini-Parri and Canali can improve it in the future, because Italy looks like lost in transition...

Don't forget that the Italian players have just come out the back end of a long season whereas much of the Japan team has been in and out of the Sunwolves squad so they are all well rested so that could be a reason down to why Japan pulled away after 60 mins. But saying that, Italy always seem to tire after 60 minutes and lose the game so that is a problem that needs sorting one way or another.

In other news, Fiji beat Samoa 24-22 and Georgia beat Tonga 16-15. I'm 3/3 so far:D

USA won 63-13 against Russia. I thought that result against Uruguay in March was a one off when they put 60 on Uruguay but they've done it again against another side close to them in the rankings. Bring on Scotland next week

The USA are looking very good and vastly improved. Pity they won't get a real shot at the RWC given that England, Argentina and France are all in their pool. I could be wrong but I think we're playing them in November?

I'd fear for Russia given they'll be at the RWC though.

I think USA will give France a scare in the World Cup but the thing is even if they pulled something crazy out of the bag and beat one of those 3 sides then they'd have to beat one of the others to go through. Just imagine if they finished 3rd at the expense of France though (thinking of automatic qualification for next World Cup). Next World Cup and they will be very competitive I believe, hopefully they'll get a good group.

A few of the top performers in the MLR will get picked up by European sides at the end of the season so hopefully we'll see a good few players playing at a higher level effort the World Cup so that depth can be built for them. No side I want to see breach the world top ten as I believe here the only ones in tier 2 that can maintain their place there.

Looking good on the field but the political side of USA rugby is a bit of a mess. I don't know enough about it to give a detailed post on it or anything but there's big changes coming on the board so perhaps people who actually understand rugby will e running the game in the US

I'd fear for Russia given they'll be at the RWC though.
The thing is I don't think any teams would beat them by any more than this as most sides will field a weaker side against lower opposition (from tier 1 sides that is).

Personally I would focus more on USA's performance rather than Russia's performance. No one has done that to Russia in the ERC and can't remember seeing Russia lose by that Mount outside of the World Cup. See how they get on against Canada next week and then assess them I would argue as right now it is impossible to properly rank the USA given their fantastic performances of late against sides who are meant to be equal to them

I can't claim to watch Tonga much but they seem to be doing well right now in terms of results.

I watched the England-barbarians game the other week and one of the guys who came off the bench for the baa baas impressed me a lot as he seemed like a beast and it turned out that he was Tongan. Latu is his name and he's a back rower

I can't claim to watch Tonga much but they seem to be doing well right now in terms of results.

I watched the England-barbarians game the other week and one of the guys who came off the bench for the baa baas impressed me a lot as he seemed like a beast and it turned out that he was Tongan. Latu is his name and he's a back rower

Never realized that he is 36! Thats really ******* old!

This weekend's tier 2 games:
Tonga vs Samoa
Fiji vs Georgia
Japan vs Italy (already has a game thread)
Germany vs Portugal (World Cup qualifier)
USA vs Scotland (again Scotland aren't tier 2 but there isn't a thread for them and there's few Scots on here)
Canada vs Russia

The Gold Cup is also starting back up this weekend which is the African qualification system for the World Cup.

Seeing as I got all the predictions correct last week, I feel pressure to get right again this week:D
So I'm going for:
Tonga
Fiji
Japan
Portugal
Scotland
Russia

On a side note, if Georgia beat Fiji then they will go to 10th in the world rankings.

Germany have about half their pros available (in German) for the Portugal game. The strongest team they've had since Germany vs USA last November?

They don't have much time to train together, so this only brings Germany vs Portugal to a 50:50 game IMO. I'll back Germany, just to be different :)

Also I'm backing Canada given their home advantage. But Tonga Fiji Japan Scotland I agree with.

I'll also back Zimbabwe against Morocco, and Namibia against Uganda. And USA South against Trinidad & Tobago, but no one cares about North America so that's irrelevant.

Hard to back anyone between Germany and Portugal. DRV blew it big time in November, I think it is unprecedented in pro era. Portugal is a team which should have never played RWC Qualification. This match would have made sense only if they would have promoted last year but didn't had the chance to play REC 2017 ... this match awards for Portugal a failure to win the playoff match in REC.

Canada is normally favorite but their pack is so weak that Russia may give them frills. USA didn't cope well with Russian forwards and they have a clearly superior pack compared with Canada.

Fiji Georgia will be very interesting but I think Fiji will win, they'll almost full squad and they're really good, near T1 level.

I also back Zimbabwe and Namibia. I am really curious to see new Zim squad and also curious about Morocco, they should have plenty of players in France.

I am really curious to see new Zim squad and also curious about Morocco
Either of them good enough to give Namibia a run for their money? I don't follow African rugby too much as it seems to be dominated by Namibia who are a good few years ahead of Kenya.

Fiji's side is stronger than last week with the likes of Nadolo and Radrada starting as expected. It'll be very tough for the Georgians but if they are to win it'll be won in the pack...as always. I fear there's too much quality in Fiji's backline for them though so I'm for Fiji by 8.

Latest posts