• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tight heads

B

brooksey101

Hi i am a very good loose head have represented the county district and schools first team played tight in a national match today and didnt go very well any tips to help me improve

Hi mate,

Well i love playing as lh, but i played a lot as th so a few tips:
1) Ask your #5 to engage you as long as possible, lot of pressure there will help you.
2) Always point to the LH head, it's impossible to collide with his head (he will move it) if you loose the entrance as TH you will be screw. With this you will avoid crossing.
3) Try to engage your arm long and with your elbow move down his shoulder and then push him up using your neck.
4) If you are a newbie as TH, don't try to cross their hooker, try to open their LH.
5) Ask your hooker to put you forward him, like making a diagonal with the front row with you more forward than your LH.

Good luck!

Hey there mate, I've been playing tight head for Aberdeen this season, and it was my first season as a senior player in the Premiership and I picked up alot from the older guys in the team and it helped my no-end.

The most important things are:

1) Get low
2) Sink your hips, push your chest out
3)Wait for the engage on your toes so you can just explode on the 'e' on 'engage'
4) Scrummage out - ie try to seperate the loosehead from the hooker by pushing out. To do that, just make your bind on the hooker looser than you would usually and essentially scrummage on your own, and just drive into the loosehead at an angle to pish out. This'll make the hooker and loosehead loose their binding and it'll got ***s up.
5) Be legally aggressive as you can.

Latest posts