• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tips For Playing Hooker

Howzy

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Newcastle RU
now the season has ended i thort i would post a thread on tips for playing hooker as i have been moved here and wanted to pick up tips over off season and pre season.

so anyone got any tips

descripe yourself, are there any areas you have struggled with? is it the actual hooking your looking at or everything, including lineout throwing etc

Im 5 foot 4 13 stone but the weight is all muscle as I've done swimming for years and go to the gym twice a week. I struggle with the hooking As I'm new to the position so I'm not really worried as its something i will get use to but my line out throws arnt consistent as one will be perfect while the other is too low.

...not sure my style of hooking will suit you...i was a smaller hooker, 5'10" 85kg and was lucky enough to have two 6' props, this meant i was actually able to swing from their shoulders andstrike with both feet, tightheads were pretty common.

your right it will come for you, one thing is to make sure you are training with your halfback as well as your front row, dont let him just head off with the backs and have you coach putting it in, you need to learn exactly how hes going to put it in and give hi feedback on what you need.

With the throwing...its just practice, i use to thrown against a basketball backboard from different distances. normally just aiming to hit the square behind the hoop but when on top form trying to get just the right pace on it so it dropped through the hoop

Well because our first jumper is really tall I have to get it up further. My coach has said go throw the ball off a wall and mark a spot to throw it at. There are two problems with this 1. I don't know how tall our line out jumper is at full stretch while being lifted and 2. I can't find a wall big enough to compensate for this. But after the game on Sunday the 1st team hooker was in the bar and he said that it wasn't my throwing but the slowness and the technique of the lifters/jumper.

if you have a stand on your pitch, stand on the touch line and have a guy half way up the stand or approx distance and practice your throwing the guy in the stand can move up or down which gives you the the feeling of long or short throws, highly recommended, all our hookers do this and i am talking TOP 14 not junior level....

Only problem is we don't have a stand :)

scrummaging (?spelling) you have to work out with your pack. As Jabby intimated; try and get an early strike on opposition ball if you can.
Your shins will take a pounding though.. There is no shame in shin pads IMO ;)

At lineout time, Coaches will tell you techniques on throwing but at the end of the day; you have to go with what works for you. it can be 1 hand or two, as long as you get it in straight.
On opposition ball, ALWAYS look for when the opposition lock just knocks it back to his side,,, then pounce!
Thats a crucial one.. you can always pick up cheap ball like that. But in most cases you will need to dive on it, so make your forwards aware that you will always be looking for the loose ball

thing is thow i would train in the gym with 4 people in the pack but tbh some arnt even bothered about the gym work. this has shown when we come up against a team with big fat props as our scrum cant hold the wait. and as i said in a earlier post ive been told its our lifts/jumper who are at fault.

scrummaging (?spelling) you have to work out with your pack. As Jabby intimated; try and get an early strike on opposition ball if you can.
Your shins will take a pounding though.. There is no shame in shin pads IMO ;)

At lineout time, Coaches will tell you techniques on throwing but at the end of the day; you have to go with what works for you. it can be 1 hand or two, as long as you get it in straight.
On opposition ball, ALWAYS look for when the opposition lock just knocks it back to his side,,, then pounce!
Thats a crucial one.. you can always pick up cheap ball like that. But in most cases you will need to dive on it, so make your forwards aware that you will always be looking for the loose ball

yes there is...harden up ;)

Latest posts