• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tips on bulking up

Agreed.
Learn the basics or rugby before youstart bulking up and deciding on your position

I ask you to research any medical journals regarding weightlifting and they will not say anything about telling under 16's to keep away from the bench and squat racks.
It's been proven time and time again that weightlifting is very good for you - regardless of your age. Ask your GP and see how many pensioners he has told to start doing weigh lifting. They're not looking to do 1 Rep Max's or anything like that, but weight lifting can and does benefit everyone who partakes in the exercise. But they don't advise you to "go too heavy".
3 of my mates are Personal Trainers and nutritionists and one of them actually takes a School Physical Education class (15 year olds) in the gym where he encourages all the guys and girls to hit the weights.
But the one thing that you really have to watch (and it's just as important for everyone else, regardless of age) is your technique. There isn't one professional/experienced lifter/expert that would flippantly shrug aside correct form. Correct for is the one thing you should strive for before gains.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a protein bar. Your body, although young, works just the same as all of us and if your body consumes protein but doesn't need it, it'll simply do what our bodies do to unwanted protein: **** it out.

And creatine's fine as well.
I don't think you need it, but if you really want it then don't bother with the bulking up phase and just stick to the maintenance dosage (5mg a day) and follow the instructions. I.E. drink loads. The last thing you want is to not drink enough and have this powder settling and f***ing up your kidneys.
Drink enough and your body will use what it needs and whatever it doesn't need it will - once again proving how efficient your body is even at a young age - **** the rest out.

So don't be afraid to do Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press but DO be afraid of doing them incorrectly.
Always ask a trained member of staff at the gym to help you out with your form - your body will thank you in years to come.

After you work out you need some protein in your body to help recover and build your muscles.If you don't have any protein the bulking process will take longer so i recomend protein shakes after each work out.

Good tips for beefing up so far, and you should definitely look into them. One thing you should focus on, perhaps even more than bulking up, is your technique. I'm sure the smaller players on this forum will agree, like me, that technique is very, very important. Especially if you're gonna play in the back line. You will dominant a player if your technique is better. Believe me when I say I understand where you coming from on your light-weight issue (no pun intended :p ). I was an inch taller and one or two pounds heavier than you at age, but I was the first pick open-side flanker at my school, who was the 1st choice jumper (they basically grabbed me by the shins) and vice-captain (captain for the forwards since our captain was in the backs). Most of my coaches will agree that I was just a freak of nature but I enjoyed a kinda successful and very enjoyable high school rugby 'stint'. I relied heavily on technique during those years and it worked. It depends how far you taking this though, high school rugby is definitely more chilled than club so I take it you doing it more for fun. So DEFINITELY get the basics down before you concentrate on bulking up, but by all means get your fitness up. The more experienced rugby player will notice bad technique from a mile away and will make you his target, atleast I did. I agree with you on playing wing but also give scrum-half a try, if it makes you feel better you and George Gregan are about the same height :D . If you can 'spin' pass both ways without changing your body position you'll be perfect at scrum-half. Play some more 'touch rugby' with your mates everynow and then, it improves your passing, agility and vision (awareness of whats going on around you) tenfold.

Lets us know how it goes, high school rugby is alot of fun.

You're around as heavy as my girlfriend, means I can lift you up in the shower mate ;)

you as keen as I am?

Latest posts