• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TMO's

BeeJay

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
As a TV viewer, I love Rugby Union with its technicality & professionalism & I watch matches, as often as I can. I don't know all the rules if any! & often try to figure out why the ref has blown up by rewinding etc, but still can't see the infringement.

It's a technical game & I enjoy it for what it is, without all the "playacting" that's rife in soccer. Players feigning injury to waste time, when in my opinion the clock should stop. Some of the tackles in rugby are bone crunching & a soccer player wouldn't survive. Ooops sorry, rant over.

Now my reason for this post. During the recent England v France six nations match, Itoje's last gasp try went to the TMO with the ref suggesting "on field decision, no try" I immediately thought, would it be better/fairer if the ref didn't give the TMO his decision, but left it to the TMO with all the gadgetry to adjudicate. Obviously the same would apply if the ref thought a probable try had been scored, but wasn't 100% sure. Just a thought & standing by for the flack! Be gentle.

As a TV viewer, I love Rugby Union with its technicality & professionalism & I watch matches, as often as I can. I don't know all the rules if any! & often try to figure out why the ref has blown up by rewinding etc, but still can't see the infringement.

It's a technical game & I enjoy it for what it is, without all the "playacting" that's rife in soccer. Players feigning injury to waste time, when in my opinion the clock should stop. Some of the tackles in rugby are bone crunching & a soccer player wouldn't survive. Ooops sorry, rant over.

Now my reason for this post. During the recent England v France six nations match, Itoje's last gasp try went to the TMO with the ref suggesting "on field decision, no try" I immediately thought, would it be better/fairer if the ref didn't give the TMO his decision, but left it to the TMO with all the gadgetry to adjudicate. Obviously the same would apply if the ref thought a probable try had been scored, but wasn't 100% sure. Just a thought & standing by for the flack! Be gentle.

The TMO is not the man in charge though, and must take instruction for the Referee. The referee must say that the on-field decision is a try or not, and the TMO must look at footage which will either substantiate the decision, or overturn it.

There are many occasions where the replays and slo-mo's don't give a clear indication of what transpired or in the event of a try being scored, if the ball was grounded or not. and in most cases, the referee is in a better position than the camera-men as most of them are stationary, standing upright with the camera moving off a tripod. The referee on the other hand can move around and even crouch or lie down to get a better viewpoint.

Latest posts