To sportwatch or not to sportwatch?

Amobokoboko

Waikato Junglist
Country Flag
Belgium
Club or Nation
Chiefs
Hi team,

This year I'm preparing for my first half marathon, scheduled in October.

In general my fitness is ok, I try to run 3-4 times a week and I can easily run 14 km without issues.

My colleagues advised me on adapting my training schedule and focus on cardio training, meaning monitoring my heartbeat while exercising.

So over the last three weeks I have been checking and comparing sport watches.

Functionalities: measuring heartbeat via pols

As you see very basic.

But the longer I tend to compare the more I want to step away from the idea.

Before this event I have three other events in the coming months ( 15-18-15 km) and as 2019 will bring a new academic chapter to my life I don't think that I will be using the watch that often.

What would you recommend?

Cheers.

Buy a Bluetooth heart rate strap and you can use your phone instead
I have a polar H7, cost about £40, i think, and that, combined with Strava/my phone's GPS/the polar apps does everything a fitness watch can do

Buy a Bluetooth heart rate strap and you can use your phone instead
I have a polar H7, cost about £40, i think, and that, combined with Strava/my phone's GPS/the polar apps does everything a fitness watch can do
do you have to have your phone on you at all times or can you have it upload data after the work out?

do you have to have your phone on you at all times or can you have it upload data after the work out?
Yeah you have to have your phone on you, unfortunately.
I just use an arm band when I'm running and in my bag when mountain biking

For the moment I'm just having my old iPod on me.
The main concern is that I want to limit the amount of tech gear while working out and that I'm unsure a watch will benefit on the long term.

Latest posts