• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tokyo Game Show 08

Z

Zonerunner

Please keep all discussion of this year's Tokyo Game Show event (9th-12th October 2008) and any announcements made at the event and its keynotes within this thread.

I'd write something more eloquent, but Microsoft's keynote isn't until 4am over here, and i'll probably be asleep by then. I'll do one of my reports once I wake up should the demand be there.

Until then, feel free to speculate away as to what any of the big announcements may be!

Final Fantasy XIII IS coming to PC... Man i wish. :(

Anyway, The japanese shows are usually full of RPG's! So i'm hoping to get news on The Last Remnant, FFXIII and Demigod. Hopefully we also get some clarity on Starcraft II and Diablo 3's progress.

No need to post any news as it breaks guys - Zonerunner will let us know.

SAVE_US.MGS4 FOR THE 360

The Microsoft keynote was a bit of a damp squib as they mostly decided to talk about games made in Japan for the 360. Still, there were a few nuggets:
  • Star Ocean 4
    Release in Japan on 19th Feburary, 3rd March in America. Europe is "TBC". I wouldnt have bothered reporting this, but the main character's name is "Edge Maverick" and thus I cannot resist.
  • Ninety Nine Nights
    The sequel literally nobody wanted (not even me and I like this type of game) is coming to the Xbox 360. This time however, its apparently being developed by Q Entertainment. Who are known for their musical puzzle games. Oh dear.
  • Tekken 6
    Yet another PS-brand coup. Will launch simultaneously on the 360 and the PS3 in Autumn 2009. Still no sign of MGS4, but im not expecting anything about that until E3 next year at the earliest really.
  • Xbox Live Arcade ***les
    DS ports a plenty are headed to the XBLA! Space Invaders Extreme (which was apparently very good), Arkanoid Live (which apparently wasnt) both for "Winter", Metal Slug 7 still to be determined. In non-DS port territory, there's also King of Fighters 98 Ultimate Match, which has long been rumoured ever since the PS2 version was released in Japan earlier this year. R-Type Dimensions which is apparently made by the same guys who made R-Type Tactics. The difference being that was an RTS and this is a true SHMUP. With co-op and everything. Plus 1000 games have been submitted for the Xbox Live Community Games thing. Just to give you an idea on quality control there.
  • New Xbox Experience
    19th November in 26 countries. That is all.
  • Halo 3: Recon
    New multiplayer maps (presumably those "Mythic" maps), new co-op campaign (with a new protagonist too - ODST shock troopers, or "Helljumpers" if you know your Halo canon as sadly as I do) in a prequel to Halo 3. Autumn 2009. I'm sure the trailer will be on the Xbox Live Marketplace imminently.
And that was it. But i'm not done yet, as a few more nuggets of information from other people have already leaked out:
  • No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle
    A sequel to the frankly awesome No More Heroes has been confirmed to be in development by the same development team Grasshopper Manufacture. It still stars moe-fan and all round otaku Travis Touchdown as the protagonist (he reminds me of me, which is worrying). Suda 51's writing the script again too. Apparently its being made partly to reward the "surprisingly large numbers" of fans the first game amassed in Europe and the US, which seems to make a release over here somewhat likely. How quaint.
  • Sony tidbits
    In a couple of pre-keynote announcements, we now know that the PS3 will have premium themes (so now you can pay for your wallpaper like 360 users have always had to do), online co-op for up to four friends will be in awesome JRPG White Knight Story (its by Level 5, which is why its awesome by default), and the PSP will finally be able to directly access the Playstation Store from 15th October (previously, you had to access PSP content via the PS3 or PC and transfer it yourself). PSP ad hoc games will also be able to connect to PSN via a PS3 as of the 30th October. Both of these dates are for Japan, so no idea when they'll make it over here.

• No More Heroes 2 to get 2 versions in Europe
    Anyone familiar with the saga of the original No More Heroes will know that America got an extremely bloody version of NMH, while Europe and Japan got a censored version, which attracted some controversy with the hardcore crowd over here. Apparently the response was so surprising that for NMH2, they intend to release a gory and a censored version over here, possibly making this the first video game to do such a thing.
  • Resistance 2/Resistance PSP work in harmony
    Sony announced that there will be connectivity features between the upcoming Resistance ***les, adding a new game mode and an option to play the PSP version with a PS3 pad. Sony havent really figured out this "portable" thing really...
  • Future first party PSP ***les to be available as a download or retail disc in Japan
    In a move I can also see happening in the rest of the world, Sony Japan will be offering all their first party ***les on the PSP Store and in retail shelves. ***les confirmed include Patapon 2, LocoRoco 2 and Resistance PSP. As long as they keep the retail offerings around, I wont complain...
  • Sakura new character for Street Fighter IV console versions
    Sakura from Street Fighter Alpha joins the steadily increasing list that has also seen Ryu's and Ken's mentor rise from the dead. DLC is also planned. However, the bonus stages where you smash the innards of poor cars and barrels have been excised, citing "time restraints". I suppose thats the cost of trying to please the fanboys, who are still upset because theres no-one from Final Fight representing...
  • Microsoft tidbits
    After saying there wont be co-op via live in Fable 2 at launch, theyve now said that should the patch pass certification, it will be available from day one after all. In addition, Microsoft have once again gone "no, we are not doing a blu ray player" after reports were being banded around yesterday. Also, theyve decided theyre not going to delist XBLA games after all, as apparently the New Xbox Experience "does away with any issues that we had in the previous Marketplace". The previously set out guidelines will only kick into effect should the new marketplace become "cumbersome".
  • Two new Dynasty Warriors and a Monster Hunter ***le
    Rejoice for me! We have two new Dynasty Warriors ***les headed our way! There's Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce for the PSP and Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires for the 360 and PS3 (and presumably PS2 a year later if we're following past trends). In addition, a new PSP ***le called Monster Hunter Freedom Unite has been confirmed for Europe only at the moment and appears to be a port of Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G, which is kind of curious because its essentially an enhanced version of MH Portable 2nd, which was released over here as MH Freedom 2. Not that I will complain mind.

Latest posts