• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top 15 Must Have Player Faces For Each Country

1. Daniel Carter is one of two of the most famous current All Blacks as is Richie McCaw, I'd say Mealamu is more famous then Kahui. So matching forwards withCarter would be the same as me saying "Richie McCaw is more famous then Any Ellis therefore forwards are more popular". It's a flawed argument.
2. I don't think you've given me any of an argument as to why backs would be more recognizable then forwards, and repeating the same names without backing it up dosen't strengthen your argument.
3. The person who is in my signiture is indeed Christian Cullen. That being said I'm sure Sean Fitzpatrick or Buck Shelford would be equally as famous. And I'm not saying backs aren't more exciting to watch, I'm saying they're not more famous or would be better to have more backs in the game as forwards.

1. Daniel Carter is one of two of the most famous current All Blacks as is Richie McCaw, I'd say Mealamu is more famous then Kahui. So matching forwards withCarter would be the same as me saying "Richie McCaw is more famous then Any Ellis therefore forwards are more popular". It's a flawed argument.
2. I don't think you've given me any of an argument as to why backs would be more recognizable then forwards, and repeating the same names without backing it up dosen't strengthen your argument.
3. The person who is in my signiture is indeed Christian Cullen. That being said I'm sure Sean Fitzpatrick or Buck Shelford would be equally as famous. And I'm not saying backs aren't more exciting to watch, I'm saying they're not more famous or would be better to have more backs in the game as forwards.

1. How do you figure Mealamu is more famous than Kahui? simple question. You must travel in rugby-mad circles.
If we are to get scientific about the whole thing, try counting the "Richard Kahui" fan clubs and memebers on facebook, and then measuring them up to the Kevin Mealamu fanclubs.

Anecdotaly, I live in a university hostel in wellington, Ive covered my walls with rugby posters, sketches, prints and the like. Being a hostel there are different people in and out every day, and being intercity wellington, most of those people are "indykid hipster metrosexuals" who dont really care about rugby whatsoever. Most of them, especially the girls, pick up who Kahui, Carter, Jane, Cullen ect are straight away. With the exeption of McCaw and the picture of bearded Jason eaton, they dont seem to notice the forwards at all.

2.Sorry if i haven't made myself clear. Lets put it this way, Backs score points.
If you are the average person, its very hard to tell if a prop forward is any good. They just go in the scrum and jog around the field. Its easy to see when a back is good though, they step around and run fast and score trys.
If you read the news papers, the sports headline will barely ever read "prop sets rock solid platform for his backs" It will go on about who scored trys, who scored the most points.
The average person sees running rugby almost exclusively, the people that break tackles and score trys are the ones the remember.
Do you not remember high school rugby where you would get back to class after a college match and the two first questions asked of you by your classmates was always "did you win?" and "who scored?"

3. I am a forward myself. I play openside flanker to this day. Im not a guy saying how much better backs than forwards, i'm just sharing what i have learned in my experiences; The pretty boy backs that break tackles, score trys and have well styled hair seem to be recognized more widely by the average person than forwards are.

Bro Thats the stinkest team viliami maafu is no.8 not half back

I reckon the Tongan team is

1.Soane Tongauiha
2.Aleki Lutui
3.Taufaàu Filise or Kisi Pulu
4.Hale T-pole
5.Viliami Vaki
6.Viliami Maafu
7.Nili Latu
8.Finau Maka or Epi Taione
9.Taniela Moa
10.Kurt Morath or Pierre Hola
11.Fetuu Vainikolo
12.Sukanaivalu Hufanga
13.Alipate Fatafehi
14.Sefa Vaka
15.Vungakoto Lilo

I reckon Some young guys need recognition with stats guys like Tim Nanai Williams , quade cooper. Guys like Anthony Tuitavake as well guys like him are known throughout the rugby world to be quick and strong. Anyways just saying fringe players who have skills like Anthony Tuitavake Rene Ranger Lelia Masaga deserve better stats

I would say that Mealamu is more famous to Rugby fans internationally as he's been in the game longer... But Kahui maybe more well known to non Rugby fans (girls) only in NZ but not so much internationally just because of his poster boy looks... I don't think Kahui is that internationally renown compared to Mealamu just yet...

AUSTRALIA

1. Benn Robinson
2. Tatafu Polata-Nau
3. Ben Alexander
4. Dean Mumm
5. James Horwill
6. Rocky Elsom (c)
7. David Pocock

8. Wycliff Palu
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Matt Giteau
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Digby Ioane

15. Peter Hynes

This is how the Wallabies would be lining up this year if Horwill and Palu weren't injured.

The one possible exception might be James O'Connor at fullback for Peter Hynes.

I've also highlighted the players who would possibly be in line for stars as 'impact players' if that function were to continue.

Last edited:
Sorry havent been on here in a few days.
Basically what I meant by my comment, was that if limited to only 15 styled faces per nation, would you rather that Anthony Boric or another lesser acknowledged or less experienced All Black had a styled face over say a Joe Rockocoko or Andy Ellis etc. Because these players wont be starting so wont be detailed if we just did 1st XV players. Besides I'm sure that we wont have any trouble with a lack of NZ players having styled faces as we really are the target market for this game. Just look at these forums and where most people are from.

New Zealand

1. Tony Woodcock
2. Andrew Hore
3. Owen Franks
4. Brad Thorn
5. Chris Jack
6. Jerome Kaino
7. Richie Mccaw
8. Kieran Read
9. Brendon Leonard (maybe Alby Matthewson, maybe!)
10. Daniel Carter
11. Joe Rokocoko
12. Luke Mcalister
13. Conrad Smith
14. Cory Jane
15. Israel Dagg

1. Benn Robinson
2. Tatafu Polata-Nau
3. Ben Alexander
4. Dean Mumm
5. James Horwill (c)
6. Scott Higginbotham
7. David Pocock
8. Richard Brown
9. Will Genia (vc)
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. Matt Giteau
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Drew Mitchell
15. Peter Hynes

I'm pretty sure the 2011 World Cup Squad will look something like this:

New Zealand

1. Tony Woodcock
2. Andrew Hore
3. Neemia Tialata
4. Brad Thorn
5. Chris Jack
6. Jerome Kaino
7. Richie McCaw
8. Kieran Read
9. Jimmy Cowan
10. Dan Carter
11. Zac Guiford
12. Ma'a Nonu
13. Conrad Smith
14. Sitiveni Sivivatu
15. Mils Muliaina

15 must have players are hard to choose! There's plenty other NZ players that would need unique faces.

thats for sure but definatly adding to that list would be liam messam, adam thompson, aaron cruden, lelia masaga, richard kahui and cory jane(best fulback in nz atm i believe) and hopefully tim nani williams if he matures

Last edited:
1. Benn Robinson
2. Tatafu Polata-Nau
3. Ben Alexander
4. Dean Mumm
5. James Horwill (c)
6. Scott Higginbotham
7. David Pocock
8. Richard Brown
9. Will Genia (vc)
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. Matt Giteau
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Drew Mitchell
15. Peter Hynes

Interesting choices

I would have to go on form with

1. Benn Robinson
2. Steven Moore
3. Ben Alexander
4. Nathan Sharpe
5. James Horwill
6. Scott Higginbotham
7. Matt Hodgson
8. Steven Hoiles
9. WIll Genia
10. Daniel Halangahu
11. Peter Hynes
12. Christian Lealiifano (If he is still injured, berrick barnes just cause his defence is so solid)
13. Digby Iaone
14. Pat McCabe (Mitchell may have scored 6 tries this season, but most anyone would have. and he is just stuck in kicking all the time and isnt solid enough on defence for me)
15. Adam-Ashley Cooper

Interesting choices

I would have to go on form with

1. Benn Robinson
2. Steven Moore
3. Ben Alexander
4. Nathan Sharpe
5. James Horwill
6. Scott Higginbotham
7. Matt Hodgson
8. Steven Hoiles
9. WIll Genia
10. Daniel Halangahu
11. Peter Hynes
12. Christian Lealiifano (If he is still injured, berrick barnes just cause his defence is so solid)
13. Digby Iaone
14. Pat McCabe (Mitchell may have scored 6 tries this season, but most anyone would have. and he is just stuck in kicking all the time and isnt solid enough on defence for me)
15. Adam-Ashley Cooper

Huuge Calls there, No Pocock, Cooper, Giteau or Barnes? They are the first names on the teamsheet for mine.

Huuge Calls there, No Pocock, Cooper, Giteau or Barnes? They are the first names on the teamsheet for mine.

Pocock would be on the bench, how could you leave out hodgson and higginbotham when they have been playing awesome all season? while pocock has played like 4 games?

Cooper isnt a test player, as seen vs the brumbies the slightest pressure on him he crumbles and cant defend for crap. he is getting alot of wraps because this year because he has been able to play some great matches for the reds, but everyone forgets how well the reds forward has been going, how good genia is and the quality backs he has outside him. dont get me wrong hes a good player, but 7 good matches doesnt make a great player. he is very much like carlos spencer, when it all goes right he looks absolutely awesome, when it goes wrong boy it goes wrong. theres no real middle ground.

while im not a big halangahu fan he is a more solid flyhalf and more upto test standards atm.

Giteau hadnt played a half decent match all year this year, vs the reds he started to show some form. but this year he has had he doesnt deserve the wallabies jersey. I will give him his dues he has really improved his goal kicking this year, he has been pretty shocking the past few years.

Barnes is a bit the same as giteau, he has been playing very poorly this year, only reason to keep him is his defence.

I would only have mortlock in the squad for experience with all the young guys coming up to the world cup.

Australia more than anybody lately picks on name not skill and form anymore. Now more than ever there is no excuse there are so many young guys coming through that are good and have potential to be great.

Pocock would be on the bench, how could you leave out hodgson and higginbotham when they have been playing awesome all season? while pocock has played like 4 games?

Cooper isnt a test player, as seen vs the brumbies the slightest pressure on him he crumbles and cant defend for crap. he is getting alot of wraps because this year because he has been able to play some great matches for the reds, but everyone forgets how well the reds forward has been going, how good genia is and the quality backs he has outside him. dont get me wrong hes a good player, but 7 good matches doesnt make a great player. he is very much like carlos spencer, when it all goes right he looks absolutely awesome, when it goes wrong boy it goes wrong. theres no real middle ground.

while im not a big halangahu fan he is a more solid flyhalf and more upto test standards atm.

Giteau hadnt played a half decent match all year this year, vs the reds he started to show some form. but this year he has had he doesnt deserve the wallabies jersey. I will give him his dues he has really improved his goal kicking this year, he has been pretty shocking the past few years.

Barnes is a bit the same as giteau, he has been playing very poorly this year, only reason to keep him is his defence.

I would only have mortlock in the squad for experience with all the young guys coming up to the world cup.

Australia more than anybody lately picks on name not skill and form anymore. Now more than ever there is no excuse there are so many young guys coming through that are good and have potential to be great.

On Cooper- You do realize hes 21 years and under a month old. Its pretty harsh to say "not a test player" to a guy that young. Hes inexperienced and that has shown through from time to time, but he has shown that he has more talent than any other young flyhalf in world rugby at the moment. The way he has torn through defences cant just be put down to good forwards, he has played some outstanding games and in my opinion thoroughly deserves the opportunity to show he can step up to test level.

Pocock- The guy is a McCaw level talent, he has the skills and pace of a back to go with his ridiculous skills as a flanker. When McCaw has only played a few games, you still throw him in because hes that good. Thats the situation with Pocock. You said that Coopers performance against the Brumbies ruled him out, did you watch Higginbotham? he was nowhere to be found, i think he played himself out of a jumper that night.

Giteau- His form has been poor, but hes a guy you can pick on class. The ball hes been getting has been laboured and 2nd 5 has always been his best position, id definatly throw him into 12 and see what happens

Halangahu- He is absolute pants. He plays the most boring rugby in the super 14, that isn't the way forward for australia with the caliber of backs they have. He would be behind Faingaia in my estimation.

I'd go with;

1. Benn Robinson
2. TPN
3. Ben Alexander
4. Dean Mumm-
5. James Horwill
6. James Hodgeson- With the new laws, 2 opensiders could work very well, especially with these two players
7. David Pocock
8. Rocky Elsom
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. Matt Giteau
13. Will Chambers- Been looking very good and can only improve
14. Peter Hynes
15. Adam-Ashley Cooper

16.Saia Faingaia
17.Laurie Weeks
18.Sharpe
19.Higginbotham
20.Kingi-Must be selected on promise, no real better options besides having Giteau as the backup scrummie in case of injury
21.Barnes
22.Mitchell/Faingaia

On Cooper- You do realize hes 21 years and under a month old. Its pretty harsh to say "not a test player" to a guy that young. Hes inexperienced and that has shown through from time to time, but he has shown that he has more talent than any other young flyhalf in world rugby at the moment. The way he has torn through defences cant just be put down to good forwards, he has played some outstanding games and in my opinion thoroughly deserves the opportunity to show he can step up to test level.

Pocock- The guy is a McCaw level talent, he has the skills and pace of a back to go with his ridiculous skills as a flanker. When McCaw has only played a few games, you still throw him in because hes that good. Thats the situation with Pocock. You said that Coopers performance against the Brumbies ruled him out, did you watch Higginbotham? he was nowhere to be found, i think he played himself out of a jumper that night.

Giteau- His form has been poor, but hes a guy you can pick on class. The ball hes been getting has been laboured and 2nd 5 has always been his best position, id definatly throw him into 12 and see what happens

Halangahu- He is absolute pants. He plays the most boring rugby in the super 14, that isn't the way forward for australia with the caliber of backs they have. He would be behind Faingaia in my estimation.

I'd go with;

1. Benn Robinson
2. TPN
3. Ben Alexander
4. Dean Mumm-
5. James Horwill
6. James Hodgeson- With the new laws, 2 opensiders could work very well, especially with these two players
7. David Pocock
8. Rocky Elsom
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. Matt Giteau
14. Peter Hynes
15. Adam-Ashley Cooper

16.Saia Faingaia
17.Laurie Weeks
18.Sharpe
19.Higginbotham
20.Kingi-Must be selected on promise, no real better options besides having Giteau as the backup scrummie in case of injury
21.Barnes
22.Mitchell/Faingaia

yes anthony faingaa is one of the most promising young players and will be great, same goes for his brothers and higinbotham... but personly chambers shouldnt have that jersey atm i rekon ioane can playoutside fairly enough and that leaves room for lachie turner

I'd go with;

1. Benn Robinson
2. TPN
3. Ben Alexander
4. Dean Mumm-
5. James Horwill
7. David Pocock
8. Rocky Elsom
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. Matt Giteau
14. Peter Hynes
15. Adam-Ashley Cooper

16.Saia Faingaia
17.Laurie Weeks
18.Sharpe
19.Higginbotham
21.Barnes
22.Mitchell/Faingaia

Top 15 Must Have Player Faces For Each Country

Uhm guys you were ask to post the "Top 15 Must Have Player Faces For Each Country" and not team 22's, this thread is to get info for face making, not roster making:rolleyes:

There are some really odd choices regarding the Australian team going on here...

This is what the Australian team would be this year if all the players mentioned were fit:

1. Benn Robinson
2. Tatafu Polata-Nau/Stephen Moore
3. Ben Alexander
4. Dean Mumm
5. James Horwill
6. Rocky Elsom (c)
7. David Pocock
8. Wycliff Palu

9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. Matt Giteau
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Peter Hynes
15. James O'Connor

The only possible changes would be for Hynes to move to fullback and possibly Drew Mitchell onto one wing... and Nathan Sharpe will be at lock with Horwill injured...

I think this thread is pretty useless. It is subjective and to be honest, 15 official player faces per country isn't much, maybe for low teams like Russia / Georgia / Romania, but if you had 15 official faces from the All Blacks or Australia or Boks, I would be pretty disappointed. Depends what your angle is with licensing.