• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top Gear's Richard Hammond critical after car crash

B

Bullitt

hammond200906_228x351.jpg

Presenter Richard Hammond has been critically injured after a crash in a jet-powered car while filming an edition of Top Gear, the BBC said tonight.

Hammond, 36, who often drives high-performance cars as part of presenting the show, has been taken to Leeds General Infirmary which has a special neurological unit. It followed the incident at an airfield near York.

Inspector Mike Thompson, of North Yorkshire Police, said officers were dealing with the incident at the airfield north-east of York.

He said: "At 5.45pm this evening we received a report via the fire service of a male person trapped in what was described as an overturned jet car which had been driven on the airfield.

"The male occupant has received serious injuries and has been airlifted to hospital at Leeds."

A BBC spokeswoman said: "The incident happened quite recently and the focus of our attention is on Richard at this stage. We will make further details known as soon as they are available."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

Damn! :eek:

God speed to him in recovering soon

This was a real shock, I just hope it proves to be not as serious as is made out and he pulls through and recovers...

Richard Hammond is in Critical Condition after a car crash at Evington Air Field this afternoon, trying to break the Land Speed record in the Vampire Jet Engined car (a Jet from the Red Arrows, 500bhp) for an episode of Top Gear.

The car crashed on the final run of the day - got up to 280mph and something went wrong after the parachute deployed, veered right and went onto the grass, overturning.

His head upside down with his head dug into the soil, still breathing at that point. He did regain conciousness when he was being extracted from the car, and explain where any pain was.

He is currently at Leeds General Hospital.

**** i would have thought that they would have put something positive like "the injuries arent life threatning" or something.

he is one of my favourites off Top Gear

richard hammond was a guy which every single bloke can like and relate too, he was a mans man, wifout ramming it in peoples faces, and had a real sense of likability around him.

i really really hope we see him on our t.v screens again soon, but i cant see it happening.

I hope he gets through this. He is such a great presenter, and a great personality on Top Gear.

Originally posted by Yahoo News
Hammond perfectly intact - says May

Top Gear star Richard Hammond is "perfectly intact" deep inside, his co-presenter James May said.

May spoke of his optimism after visiting Hammond at Leeds General Infirmary to where he was airlifted following the 36-year-old's high-speed crash on Wednesday.

May said: "I'm not a doctor but I am his mate and I believe that deep inside the Hammond I know is perfectly intact."

In a statement issued through his agent, May said: "I've had a conversation with Hammond today. Not a long one, but it was a conversation."

May's words added to the growing sense of optimism outside the hospital which began when it was announced Hammond had been moved out of intensive care.

As fans continued to arrive to wish him well, doctors at Leeds General Infirmary said his condition had improved.

Hammond was seriously injured when the jet-powered car he had been driving at speeds up to 300mph crashed at Elvington airfield, near York, on Wednesday afternoon.

Police and Health and Safety Executive investigations were continuing to establish exactly what went wrong in the incident which happened during filming for the BBC2 show.

The hospital said Hammond suffered a "significant brain injury". A spokesman added: "Doctors say Richard Hammond is making satisfactory progress."

Hammond's wife Mindy is understood to have been at his bedside for the past two days.

Great to hear. Even if James May does gabble a bit at times, he can't be that far wrong if he's been speaking to him.

Teh Mite, whats with you and this guy? Is it because you're his look alike? or is there something else behind this love?

Teh Mite, whats with you and this guy? Is it because you're his look alike? or is there something else behind this love?
[/b]

Top Gear is a great show and Richard a great personality, so I'm sure that a lot of people want to see him recover well, myself included. :rolleyes:

richard hammond as i said is a genuinely great t.v presenter, who is good looking

I know that Top gear is cool and all, just wanna know why teh mite is obsessed about him... is it the same way i was obsessed about Steve Irwin?

the hamster is going to be discharged soon. injuries not as serious as first thought to be. our prayers are with you hamster

I know that Top gear is cool and all, just wanna know why teh mite is obsessed about him... is it the same way i was obsessed about Steve Irwin?
[/b]

Go Home.

Latest posts