• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top14 on UK Tv

Tony Manx

TRF Season Ticket Holder
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Biarritz
Despite ESPN still advertising, when you google Top 14 on TV, that to watch Top 14, you should sign up with them, they would not appear to be covering French rugby this season........at least I can find no indication that they are?

Does anyone know what the real situation is and who is covering it this season in UK, if anyone is?

There's a French-language channel that shows one game a week, only I've forgotten the name of it, but I've got the Sky channel number written down somewhere, so I'll try and dig that out. I watched one of the Semis and the Final on there last year, which saved me having to subscribe to ESPN. Someone else might be able to help me out with its name, though.

EDIT: TV5, Sky channel 891.

Last edited:
There's a French-language channel that shows one game a week, only I've forgotten the name of it, but I've got the Sky channel number written down somewhere, so I'll try and dig that out. I watched one of the Semis and the Final on there last year, which saved me having to subscribe to ESPN. Someone else might be able to help me out with its name, though.

EDIT: TV5, Sky channel 891.

Just tried and the red bar with "Channel Unavailable" comes up?

Nothing listed for ESPN3 either.
First they lose the AFL license and now this...

People, if viewer-ship is poor then ESPN won't renew the contract to show it.

ESPN have lost the football and look set to loose the rugby- sky and bt want it- so don't know how much longer the channel will last. Without football can't see them having enough subscriptions to keep going unless they seriously reduce their price

Unfortunately........they still have the Aviva Premiership at the moment so the sub is a necessary evil anyway!

Must say that I hope they keep it as they do it well (as opposed to the Top 14 which was always the poor relation for obvious reasons!).

I'm a huge fan of the ESPN coverage (despite Austin Healey). They get it right and actually understand rugby fans. The thought of Sky dictating rugby to us is nauseating.

Hopefully ESPN will pick up some American sports an maybe jump on the Athletics bandwagon to fill in the gaps missing soccer will lead to.

When I had ESPN I mostly watched ESPN America, did watch the odd rugby or football on main ESPN but probably won't get it this year

Must have been the non-Ireland franchises that went bust then, I thought the whole company went ***s up when they started the over-pricing for premiership soccer.

Must have been the non-Ireland franchises that went bust then, I thought the whole company went ***s up when they started the over-pricing for premiership soccer.

The Canadian Setanta went balls up around a year ago and got bought out by a local company.

I couldn't find any Top14 coverage in Setanta's upcoming TV schedule. Their website is awfully out of date when it comes to detailing its broadcasting rights too.

Looks like it!! Unless you go to one of those pesky st........... channels..............

This on http://www.espnscrum.com/france/rugby/team/9.html

Next Top 14 on TV
to be announced
Wed, 15 Aug 2012 08:30

But then the following email received from ESPN...................

15/08/2012

Thanks for your enquiry regarding ESPN's coverage of the French Top 14, we have enjoyed covering the Top 14 the past 3 seasons, however we could not reach an agreement for coverage this season. Going into the 2012-13 season ESPN continues to cover Aviva Premiership rugby as the lead broadcaster, including exclusive coverage of the final, and the London Double Header on the 1st​ September.

Kind regards,
ESPN

Facebook: ESPN UK
Twitter: @ESPNUK

Last edited:
Welcome my friend......good to hear from you!! Yeah some of us found this site after the sudden ending of the French Rugby Club Forum..............a little more interest in Top 14 here but could always do with more!!

Latest posts