Toulouse v Dragons

A

An Tarbh

<div align='center'>
Toulouse.png
Dragons.png

Toulouse v Dragons
</div>

Newport Gwent Dragons should find out on Thursday if veteran flanker Colin Charvis will recover from a knee injury for Saturday's game in Toulouse.

Dragons coach Paul Turner told BBC Sport: "We'll know tomorrow. He's trained well this morning [Wednesday]."

On the Heineken Cup clash, Turner said: "You've got to lay down your mark, you've got to gain their respect early.

"It's a big test and one we feel we're capable of meeting. It's about going into the cauldron and performing."

We didn't sign Tom Willis until March or April so we've still got time to talk

Dragons coach Paul Turner on Rhys Thomas' future

He continued: "You've got to be bold and technically good defensively. We've prepared well, it's a big challenge.

"We're excited about it. It's what playing in this competition is all about.

"You've got to lay down your mark, you've got to gain their respect early. It's a big test and one we feel we're capable of meeting."

Dragons will be boosted by the return of Wales prop Rhys Thomas, who has been linked to Scarlets.

On his future, Turner said: "We're still talking to him. Nothing's been decided yet. The way recruitment is going now, it's virtually a year before [that you start negotiations]. It's getting a lot like soccer.

"We didn't sign Tom [Willis] until March or April so we've still got time to talk."

Kiwi hooker Willis is confident the Dragons can get something out of the game.

If you go down there with an attacking mentality and front up physically, you've got every chance.

"Bath's performance down there shows they're not a completely invincible outfit.

"Bath should have won that game, so it highlights if you go down there with an attacking mentality and front up physically, you've got every chance."

But the summer signing accepts the French team will be high on confidence.

"I suspect there will probably be a bit of a bully attitude up front and that air of arrogance that they can run it in from anywhere if they get the space and opportunity."

Adam Jones has targeted the reverse game with Toulouse to return from injury.

The 28-year-old lock needed surgery on both shoulder and knee injuries he sustained in the Dragons' EDF Energy Trophy defeat at Gloucester and had been set to be out for six weeks.

But he said: "I have worked hard to stay ahead of schedule in rehab."

Meanwhile European super-powers Toulouse, the three-time Heineken Cup winners and French club champions, will be without French international scrum-half Jean-Baptiste Elissalde.

The 31-year-old will be sidelined for their European double-header with the Dragons after fracturing a finger in Toulouse's Top 14 victory over Bayonne last Friday.

Elissalde underwent surgery and a pin was placed in a finger on his left hand to aid recovery. The pin will be removed before Christmas.

Jones, though, will return for the Rodney Parade showdown on 13 December thanks to an intense physiotherapy programme.

"I have looked on the game against Toulouse, one of the best teams in Europe, with huge excitement," former Scarlets forward Jones told the Dragons website.

"The Dragons face an incredible challenge against Toulouse away from home this weekend.

"Yet I know that the team be going out there with the attitude to win as we feel confident this year that we have the ability to beat any opposition.

"The following week we are presented with the opportunity to face Toulouse on our home turf at Rodney Parade as it is a must win situation in order to progress through to the knock-out stages of the tournament.

"Personally I can't wait to get back playing and improve on the form that I enjoyed with the team before my injury as collectively and personally we all have aspirations to go on an achieve higher honours."

Toulouse lead Group Five on eight points, three points ahead of Bath.

Toulouse: tbc

Dragons: tbc

BBC Sport

Toulouse may be tearing it up in the T14, but that was tear-hair-out-of-head rugby at its best in the first half.
Toulouse missing many opportunities, and the Dragons holding on by the edge of Michalak's boot.
Jauzion try + conversion + 3 missed penalties makes it 7 - 0 at HT.
Hoping for a more exciting second half...

Thought Toulouse would have been fairly comfortable in this one, only 7-0 up and with a player in the bin at the start of the second half.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Dec 6 2008, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thought Toulouse would have been fairly comfortable in this one, only 7-0 up and with a player in the bin at the start of the second half.[/b]
Don't you mean the Dragons have a player in the bin?
Fussell got the yellow after a high tackle on Médard.

Toulouse finally get a second.
Simple grubber for Poitreneau fooling the Dragons' defence.
14 - 0

3rd try now. Some lovely hands to set Médard up in the corner.
Missed conversion. 19 - 0
Fantastic angle by Fritz, but a weak attempt at a tackle from the Dragons' 9.
26 - 0, bp in the bag.

Latest posts