• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers: 05/06

It depends whether Byre can show some of the form he has displayed for Ireland rather than the Lions. Be interesting to see him go up against other top class hookers such as Thompson and ***terall on a more regular basis.

More great news for Leinster, this leaves them with Jackman and the Blaney brothers at hooker, none of them look real international/HEC class.

hopefully will be a good signing for saracens, i cant see ibanez hanging around now though, but to be honest he hasnt really produced any brilliant performances during his time with sarries.

ha, the Leinster website has chose to completely ignore the fact that their most capped player and best forward of the lst few years has left. The editor/webmaster on the messageboard is refusing to confirm or deny the story, knowing Leinster it's probably just because no-one told him.

Here's a quote from the man himself apparently- his Irish Independant diary

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
EXCLUSIVE  'IN a few years I'd like to be able to look back on this week and laugh, but I wouldn't be banking on it. It has been one of the most emotional periods of my life. In the here and now I'm out of the starting 15, though I was grateful to survive in the squad and then get a run. And in the near future I'll be out of Leinster, out of Ireland, and earning my living somewhere else.

Shane Byrne's Diary, P2[/b]

When they refuse to confirm or deny a story on the leinster messageboard it usually means it's a done deal.

Originally posted by saintsfan24_7@Jul 3 2005, 08:07 PM
Another signing for Northampton
Doesn't look as good a signing as Quinlan. Never mind, he'll still get the full Saints welcome, and hopefully he'll produce the best rugby of his career for us.

Well, lets hope so.

Our jigsaw looks complete to me.

Just getting them together as a team, and playing like a team old fashioned saints style, is what we need.

Originally posted by saintsfan24_7@Jul 3 2005, 08:19 PM
Well, lets hope so.

Our jigsaw looks complete to me.

Just getting them together as a team, and playing like a team old fashioned saints style, is what we need.
I'm not suure our pack is big enough to play like we used to. Saints at their peak had an enormous pack, were able to control the game in the pack, and didn't have to rely too heavily on our backs, who were solid but not spectacular. Our current squad is a lot smaller a more mobile, with the real star players in the backs, so I think we need to play a much quicker game, with faster ball, and run the opposition around.

Wasps have signed Connacht prop Peter Bracken, bringing to three the number of second-rate Irish players at the club after the arrivals of Eoin Reddan and Jeremy Staunton.

News Story

Wasps land Bracken
06 Jul 2005 

Wasps have added to their growing Irish contingent by signing prop Peter Bracken from Connacht on a two-year deal.

Bracken, a powerful tighthead, is the third Irishman to arrive at Causeway Stadium this summer with Eoin Reddan and Jeremy Staunton joining the English champions in June.

Forwards coach Craig Dowd said: ``Peter is a good technician who gave some good props a rough ride last season.

``He is keen to succeed at the highest level, for both club and country, and moving to Wasps could give him that opportunity.''

Bracken, who has represented Ireland at 'A' and under-18 levels, is relishing the opportunity to help Wasps defend their Guinness Premiership ***le. ``I'm very excited about moving to Wasps. Playing for such a successful team, and in the Premiership, is a huge challenge but one that I am looking forward to immensely.

``I'd like to thank all the staff and supporters at Galwegians and Connacht for their help and support in the past five years, and wish them all the best for the future.''[/b]

From scrum.com

Sarries sign B'OD

Billy that is.................. second cousin to Brian

Saracens are pleased to announce that they have signed promising young centre Billy O’Driscoll.

The 24-year-old joins the Men In Black just weeks after passing his medicine degree at Imperial College in London.

Having previously played at National League outfit Henley while studying, the centre is renewing his association with Saracens Head Coach Steve Diamond. O’Driscoll first played under Diamond as a youngster in Manchester and after completing his studies, has just finished his first few days as a professional.

Diamond said: “Billy is a very talented, hard working and bright young man and we’re delighted that he is joining us to be a part of the squad. I’ve known him and his family for a number of years and I’m looking forward to working with him.â€

O’Driscoll comes from a family with both rugby and medical backgrounds. His parents are both doctors while his father is John O’Driscoll, the former British Lion and his second cousin is Ireland’s Brian O’Driscoll.

“Medicine and rugby runs in the family,†he explained. “I had my final exam last week and luckily I passed so that was a big relief. I’ve been playing for Henley and a bit with the Imperial College side. I’ve really been concentrating on my studies rather than rugby, but now they are out of the way I’ve got the chance to work hard on my game with Steve Diamond and the other coaches at Saracens.

“I’ve known Steve for a number of years â€" since I was at school actually and I played under him for Sale U21s during one summer. At that point, I was focussed on going to university and getting my medical degree and Steve said that if I was still interested in trying to pursue a career in rugby, to give him a call when I’d finished.

“I’ve got that degree now and it’s something I can go back to, but now I’ve got the chance to concentrate on rugby and I shall be working hard to make it a success.â€

The London-born centre is also looking forward to the chance of playing at Vicarage Road. He said: “There’s a great atmosphere in the ground when it’s full as we saw for the game against Leicester last season. As a young player, to have the chance to play in front of a big crowd is fantastic, but I also know it gives the whole squad a lift and it will be great for as many of you as possible to sign up for season tickets and be part of it next season.â€

And after his first few days training with the squad, he admitted he has a lot of hard work in front of him.

He said: “I’ve been very impressed with everything I have seen at Saracens and I will learn a lot from training alongside the likes of Hugh Vyvyan, Andy Farrell and Taine Randell to name but a few.  I’ve already noticed a step up and I ave a huge amount of hard work in front of me, but it’s something I’m really looking forward to.â€[/b]

Originally posted by sarries fan@Jul 8 2005, 09:05 AM
Sarries sign B'OD

Billy that is.................. second cousin to Brian

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Saracens are pleased to announce that they have signed promising young centre Billy O’Driscoll.

The 24-year-old joins the Men In Black just weeks after passing his medicine degree at Imperial College in London.

Having previously played at National League outfit Henley while studying, the centre is renewing his association with Saracens Head Coach Steve Diamond. O’Driscoll first played under Diamond as a youngster in Manchester and after completing his studies, has just finished his first few days as a professional.

Diamond said: “Billy is a very talented, hard working and bright young man and we’re delighted that he is joining us to be a part of the squad. I’ve known him and his family for a number of years and I’m looking forward to working with him.â€

O’Driscoll comes from a family with both rugby and medical backgrounds. His parents are both doctors while his father is John O’Driscoll, the former British Lion and his second cousin is Ireland’s Brian O’Driscoll.

“Medicine and rugby runs in the family,†he explained. “I had my final exam last week and luckily I passed so that was a big relief. I’ve been playing for Henley and a bit with the Imperial College side. I’ve really been concentrating on my studies rather than rugby, but now they are out of the way I’ve got the chance to work hard on my game with Steve Diamond and the other coaches at Saracens.

“I’ve known Steve for a number of years â€" since I was at school actually and I played under him for Sale U21s during one summer. At that point, I was focussed on going to university and getting my medical degree and Steve said that if I was still interested in trying to pursue a career in rugby, to give him a call when I’d finished.

“I’ve got that degree now and it’s something I can go back to, but now I’ve got the chance to concentrate on rugby and I shall be working hard to make it a success.â€

The London-born centre is also looking forward to the chance of playing at Vicarage Road. He said: “There’s a great atmosphere in the ground when it’s full as we saw for the game against Leicester last season. As a young player, to have the chance to play in front of a big crowd is fantastic, but I also know it gives the whole squad a lift and it will be great for as many of you as possible to sign up for season tickets and be part of it next season.â€

And after his first few days training with the squad, he admitted he has a lot of hard work in front of him.

He said: “I’ve been very impressed with everything I have seen at Saracens and I will learn a lot from training alongside the likes of Hugh Vyvyan, Andy Farrell and Taine Randell to name but a few.  I’ve already noticed a step up and I have a huge amount of hard work in front of me, but it’s something I’m really looking forward to.â€
[/b][/quote]
I'd say it'll be him and Andy Farrell in the centre next season, and they may rip defences to pieces-if Billy is anything like Brian that is

can't see Billy steppin straight into a shirt think he will have to prove himself first,
but agree that farrell will play 12

Originally posted by sarries fan@Jul 9 2005, 10:11 PM
can't see Billy steppin straight into a shirt think he will have to prove himself first,
Once Andy has found his feet, he will be one of the most feared players in the GP, look what has happened since he left Wigan!

Originally posted by drico+Jul 10 2005, 05:35 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (drico @ Jul 10 2005, 05:35 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-sarries fan
@Jul 9 2005, 10:11 PM
Once Andy has found his feet, he will be one of the most feared players in the GP, look what has happened since he left Wigan! [/b]
pffft... He'll be a RFU nurseed failure that stuart Barnes and Andy Robinson will crawl up the arse of.

And nothing more.

I can't wait to see Spencer playing in the Premiership for Northampton next season, i hope he'll be able to add the flair which will allow Northampton to reach the kind of form they used to have

From BBC Sport

Bristol seal double Samoan swoop

Brian Lima made his Western Samoa debut in 1990
Samoan wingers Brian Lima and David Lemi have signed for promoted Guinness Premiership club Bristol.
The 33-year-old Lima, who is nicknamed "the Chiropractor" for his ferocious defence, has signed a two-year deal.

Lemi, who joins on a one-year contract, has been top scorer in the World Sevens Series for the last two seasons and is Samoa's sevens captain.

"We've captured the best in Samoan backline talent," said Bristol coach Richard Hill.

"We have the experience and class of Brian Lima and the talent and potential of David Lemi.

"Brian will bring a host of international experience to our backline. He will also be a massive physical presence.

"David is less well known but he is a very exciting talent. He's been a star of the World Sevens Series in the past couple of years and has been a prolific try scorer.

"He's predominantly a winger but is also capable of filling in at scrum-half. We came across him at the recent Safari Sevens in Kenya and he really caught the eye."

Two good signings - especially Lima. Can't wait to see the "Chiropractor" in action!

Originally posted by harrison2468+Jul 13 2005, 06:00 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (harrison2468 @ Jul 13 2005, 06:00 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Teh Mite
@Jul 13 2005, 02:11 AM
Wow - The WRU really f***ed over Leinster there.
Huh? [/b]
Lima originally signed for Leinster - I guess with the WRU bolloxing up the Celtic league they had to nullify his contract.

Latest posts