• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers 2015/16

More players sign up for Super Rugby in Argentina

http://www.sanzarrugby.com/superrugby/news/more-players-sign-up-for-super-rugby-in-argentina/

Updated List:

Tomás Cubelli (12 June 1989, scrumhalf, 34 caps)
Tomás Lezana (16 February 1994, loose forward, 1 cap)
Javier Ortega Desio (14 June 1990, loose forward, 12 caps)
Matías Orlando (14 November 1991, centre, 9 caps)
Gabriel Ascárate (20 October 1987, centre/wing, 14 caps)
Martin Landajo (14 June 1988, scrumhalf/flyhalf, 40 caps)
Guido Petti Pagadizábal (17 November 1994, lock, 2 caps)
Pablo Matera (18 July 1993, flanker, 13 caps)
Matías Alemanno (5 December 1991, lock, 11 caps)
Rodrigo Baez (8 February 1989, loose forward, 16 caps)
Jerónimo de la Fuente (24 February 1991, centre, 9 caps)
Facundo Isa (21 September 1993, loose forward, 3 caps)
Manuel Montero (20 November 1991, utility back, 20 caps)

The group all signed contracts until at least the end of the 2017 season following a Pampas XV training session in Rosario on Tuesday.

Thanks for the info. The three players you mention above who have definitely committed to their current clubs instead of the new franchise (Fernández Lobbe; Ayerza; Bosch) - are they the only ones, as far as you know? Obviously, these three are all older players who offer a lot of experience whereas those who have signed are generally younger and often playing in Argentina - no experience of a top, competitive professional league. Given that national selection will apparently be only for players in Super Rugby, isn't there a worry that both the Argentinian Franchise (does it have a name yet ... ?) and the national team will seriously suffer from a lack of experience of high quality rugby?

Also- no Nicolás Sánchez yet! I can't help worrying about Toulon offering him more money, he's vital to Argentina and still young. In my opinion the form international fly-half in the world last year.

Thanks for the info. The three players you mention above who have definitely committed to their current clubs instead of the new franchise (Fernández Lobbe; Ayerza; Bosch) - are they the only ones, as far as you know? Obviously, these three are all older players who offer a lot of experience whereas those who have signed are generally younger and often playing in Argentina - no experience of a top, competitive professional league. Given that national selection will apparently be only for players in Super Rugby, isn't there a worry that both the Argentinian Franchise (does it have a name yet ... ?) and the national team will seriously suffer from a lack of experience of high quality rugby?

Also- no Nicolás Sánchez yet! I can't help worrying about Toulon offering him more money, he's vital to Argentina and still young. In my opinion the form international fly-half in the world last year.

As far as I know, only Fernandez Lobbe, Ayerza and Bosch, confirmed that would not be part of the new Super Rugby franchise.
Tuculet said "has a very difficult decision to make,"
González Almorosino stated that this would be his last European experience before joining the argentine franchise.
Creevy surely add when his contractual relationship in England.

Reject play for the pumas, opting to stay playing in Europe, is "socially" more complicated for an Argentine rugby player, for example, an Australian.
An anecdote: when Felipe Contempomi returned from Europe and joined Cardinal Newman - the club he started - disputed the semifinal of the Argentine tournament and some young players from the opposing team would have insulted at various times of the game, accusing him of "mercenary" for having played professionally in Europe.

However, concerns about the decision they would take some of the more experienced players will not disappear until you sign your contract with the UAR.

The name of the franchise was not defined; they would be working marketing companies that issue.

Last edited:
Thanks CarterFrangen

As for Creevy, I can't imagine Worcester have the cash to get him to stay

Anyone know what the team is going to be called?

Please, please, please tell me they are "Los Gauchos".

Creevy said in an interview that he could see himself staying at Worcester until he retires - I think this was before the ruling came in that you have to be playing the Super 15 to play for the Pumas, though.

Creevy said in an interview that he could see himself staying at Worcester until he retires - I think this was before the ruling came in that you have to be playing the Super 15 to play for the Pumas, though.

Surely it is.
I can not believe Hourcade had given the captaincy of pumas without having discussed the subject of the franchise.

It's so funny that is happening with argentine franchise and confirms that our destiny as a nation is to always go in the opposite world. :eek:
When we finally managed to enter the tournament's toughest rugby clubs, the big guns of our new rivals are leaving for Europe after the end of RWC. :wall:

Scrum half Mickey Young confirmed as returning to us on a 2 year deal.

Also rumours increase on Bernard Foley coming to us.

Good signing for that level. Probably there for leadership more than ability

Good signing for that level. Probably there for leadership more than ability

Who's to say what level Worcester will be at come the start of next season? They're evens to get back to the land of milk and honey next season and are currently topping the table with the same number of wins as Bristol. I remember that last time Bristol were "certs" for promotion!

Im so gutted that we are losing Mike Williams i had him as future club captain, we make the players the big clubs just steal them. I dont want phil dowson either we already have JT we do not need more experience players like him he probably won't start either seems like a waste of money...

Although having said that i don't mind getting Kirwan at all :)

Last edited:
Im so gutted that we are losing Mike Williams i had him as future club captain, we make the players the big clubs just steal them. I dont want phil dowson either we already have JT we do not need more experience players like him he probably won't start either seems like a waste of money...

Although having said that i don't mind getting Kirwan at all :)

Blaze, Kitchener and Williams we seem to like your locks.

We signed Dom (The forgotten man) Waldouk from Northampton. Sorry struggling to post link.

Latest posts