• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers / Rumors

Chabal obviously doesn't rate Toulon's chances of staying up, saying that if money was his priority he would have already signed with Toulon. Obviously and rightly so given that he's only 31, he doesn't fancy playing in the ProD2 even if he does pay them lip service respect.

Iain Balshaw is on his way to Racing-Métro next season according to L'equipe.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Stade Francais look to have won their tug-of-war with Top 14 arch rivals Toulouse to sign England lock Tom Palmer who is out of contract this summer.

Palmer, who is likely to miss the rest of the season with shoulder injury, has been locked in talks with both clubs for the last few weeks.

London Wasps are already resigned to the fact that they won’t be retaining his services and it appears that he is joining the glamour boys of French rugby on a two-year deal.[/b]
http://www.rugby365.com/opinion/loop/1504880.htm

I wonder if this is a case of Wasps being unable to afford him. With so many players out of contract it's likely that the Wycombe based club will have to choose which players they absolutely must keep and which they can do without. Having Toulouse, Stade Francais and Wasps fighting for his services is an enviable position for Palmer to be in.

From the same link, Luke McAlister is linked with Toulon to join up with Philippe Saint Andre again.

is there anyone who hasn't been linked with Toulon recently, are there any French players there at all?

Palmer has hardly set the world on fire at Wasps and with Birkett and Skivington there he wouldn't be a big loss.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vambo @ Feb 9 2009, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Palmer has hardly set the world on fire at Wasps and with Birkett and Skivington there he wouldn't be a big loss.[/b]
I'm sure that's Wasps line of thinking. There's enough cover in the 2nd row to let Palmer leave rather than overpaying him. Losing players like Cipriani would be far harder to take (notwithstanding his current lack of form).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 9 2009, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
is there anyone who hasn't been linked with Toulon recently, are there any French players there at all?[/b]
McAlister's agent wouldn't be doing his job if his client wasn't linked there (or Racing Metro)!

Oh God. I don't mind McAlister leaving Sale (lulz as if I have a choice...) but to Toulon? Gad... He'd be completely underprepared for a return to New Zealand. Big gap between Nonu/Mortlock and some centre from Pro D2.

Also, lulz at Balshaw. Racing must be aiming for an instant return to the second division...

lol why does everyone think Toulon is going for the drop... they are out of the relegation zone right now 1 point above Castres... I admit they have been brutal but they are in no way a shoe in for relegation

they're a more than decent bet and the away trip to Castres could see them in serious trouble.

Geoff Murphy could be on his way to Brive next season according to rugbyrama. :lol:

Originally posted by rugbyrama
Top 14 - 16/02/2009 - 10:14
Murphy vers Brive
Selon Midi Olympique, l'arrière international irlandais Geoff Murphy (30 ans) pourrait s'engager prochainement avec le CA Brive. les deux parties sont en négociations

Following on from a previous post by An Tarbh:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
A number of reports in the French media claim fromer Bourgoin team-mates Nallet and Chabal, who have been second-row partners for Les Bleus in this year's Six Nations Championship, have agreed to join Racing, provided the club are promoted into the Top 14 at the end of the season.[/b]
http://www.planetrugby.com/Story/0,18259,3...4927766,00.html

Francois Steyn and Jonny Wilkinson are also linked in that report. The Rugby Times is reporting that the same club have signed Dan Scarbrough following his release by Saracens.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Feb 16 2009, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Following on from a previous post by An Tarbh:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
A number of reports in the French media claim fromer Bourgoin team-mates Nallet and Chabal, who have been second-row partners for Les Bleus in this year's Six Nations Championship, have agreed to join Racing, provided the club are promoted into the Top 14 at the end of the season.[/b]
http://www.planetrugby.com/Story/0,18259,3...4927766,00.html

Francois Steyn and Jonny Wilkinson are also linked in that report. The Rugby Times is reporting that the same club have signed Dan Scarbrough following his release by Saracens.
[/b][/quote]

I also heard about this on the news today, but I wonder...is Wilkinson going to play rugby if he goes to Racing Metro or just to keep the doctors salary on the up and the nurses happy in bed <_<

Don't know...seems to be alot of confussion around him about leaving or staying, last I heard was something of him staying untill his contract with The Sharks expire in October or something...

yeah read this on scrum.com the other day, still not perfectly clear.

Originally posted by scrum.com
Springbok utility back Francois Steyn has dismissed rumours linking him with a lucrative move to a European club, insisting that he is 100% committed to the Sharks as they prepare for their opening game of the Super 14 against the Stormers on Saturday.

Steyn had been linked with several clubs, with several reports insinuating that he had signed a deal with French Division Two side Racing Metro Paris. Steyn has moved to quell any rumours of a move, insisting that he is happy in Durban.

"I did not approach anybody to go and play for them," Steyn told South African newspaper Rapport. "Clubs approached me, as they do with my team-mates as well. People who think I'm not loyal don't see the smile with which I get up to train every morning.

"It's going well in Durban. I'm fully focused on the Sharks' Super 14 campaign and nothing else. I believe we can win the competition. After that it's the Springboks if I'm picked, and then we have to defend the Currie Cup."

Steyn has struggled to pin down a set position with the Sharks and South Africa, winning international caps at fly-half, centre and fullback. He is committed to improving as a player with the Sharks, and may get a chance now that Ruan Pienaar has been earmarked for the Springbok fly-half berth.

"I don't want to go overseas because it will look as if I'm running away from my problems," he said. "Money is not everything. What's important to me is to improve in what I'm doing. If I'm stagnating I'll have to make a plan, and if that means considering my options rather than staying here, so be it.

"At 21 I am at a crossroads in my career. The decisions I have to take now are the most difficult of my life and I pray about it a lot. I have a few options I'm considering, not just overseas. However, I have not signed any contract."

Steyn felt during last season that his versatility was damaging his international ambitions, playing in four different positions for the Sharks and slipping behind Jean de Villiers and Adrian Jacobs in the pecking order at centre and Pienaar at fly-half. With an important Super 14 campaign ahead, he now has his eyes set on enjoying his game an potentially wrapping up a spot in the squad to face the British and Irish Lions in June.

"All the moving around meant I could not improve and that was frustrating. I know I won't walk into the Bok side at inside centre because Jean de Villiers is in great form. But that's not all that it's about," he added. "I owe it to myself to enjoy my rugby again. "I believe if I play well enough I'll be in contention when the Bok squad is picked. I will play where they need me and have never made any demands. The prospect of playing against the Lions is a huge incentive."

This all seems very weird to me. I mean, why in the world would any team want to sign Tom Palmer, especially a french team?

Rory Lamont will be leaving Sale after this season to a club that can 'match his salary demands'.
I assume he'll be off to one of the big 'uns in France.
Sauce

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Feb 23 2009, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Rory Lamont will be leaving Sale after this season to a club that can 'match his salary demands'.
I assume he'll be off to one of the big 'uns in France.
Sauce[/b]
Sale will look like a completely different side next year with their coach leaving along with Chabal, White, Lamont and probably McAllister. Are they in financial trouble?

Latest posts