• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Trouble in Wales?

It is a nice idea in theory, would be fun to have some Welsh involved in a way ... I just really think it's a non-starter in terms of convincing the Prem

It is a nice idea in theory, would be fun to have some Welsh involved in a way ... I just really think it's a non-starter in terms of convincing the Prem

Completely agree, it's a tough sell for the English clubs even without all the current talk of ringfencing etc. I think sticking in the Pro14 is the only realistic option for now, and it's all about trying to figure out a balance to great 4 strong teams.

Sorry for the double post, but came across this tweet with an interesting solution on Twitter just now:

upload_2019-3-1_11-36-1.png

It's not perfect, still leaves the valleys left out and no doubt disgruntled, but could be a good middle ground between keeping the top level teams strong, and making sure that there's a decent standard of rugby to grow the Welsh player base. This is of course providing that the "A" teams can put out good strength sides, like they did in the new Celtic Cup tournament.

That said, can't imagine Dragons fans will be pleased at all...

Here's a link to the tweet / thread anyway: https://twitter.com/Stevearytraeth/status/1101098246062178305

Sorry for the double post, but came across this tweet with an interesting solution on Twitter just now:

View attachment 7082

It's not perfect, still leaves the valleys left out and no doubt disgruntled, but could be a good middle ground between keeping the top level teams strong, and making sure that there's a decent standard of rugby to grow the Welsh player base. This is of course providing that the "A" teams can put out good strength sides, like they did in the new Celtic Cup tournament.

That said, can't imagine Dragons fans will be pleased at all...

Here's a link to the tweet / thread anyway: https://twitter.com/Stevearytraeth/status/1101098246062178305

I think that the WRU will eventually go 2 'full fat regions with 2 'semi skimmed' but all remaining in the Pro 14.

If that is the case I'm in favour of redrawing the boundaries into North, South, East and West. The O's into the English league structure was just an interesting diversion.

There was a reply somewhere setting out the funding - apparently a certain amount of money would be lost (£2m - £3m) if a team was to be dropped from the Pro14, but the funding accross the three remaining top level teams would go up more than enough to make up for it it.

Whether or not that is realistic, I don't know. Probably doesn't account for the funding that'd need to be diverted to the A Teams + Dragons and RGC (Assuming these two would be predominantly WRU funded in this situation).

Fissler reckons Ospreys and Scarlets to merge

Makes the 'most' sense (even though they're bitter rivals), you couldn't have the Blues and O's merge as they are the only two population centres of note within the country and they need to remain separate. If it does happen, hopefully they will be able to play home games around the (pretty big) region rather than just at Parc y Scarlets. They will need to be rebranded too, to encapsulate that the region will essentially be West Wales.

Makes the 'most' sense (even though they're bitter rivals), you couldn't have the Blues and O's merge as they are the only two population centres of note within the country and they need to remain separate. If it does happen, hopefully they will be able to play home games around the (pretty big) region rather than just at Parc y Scarlets. They will need to be rebranded too, to encapsulate that the region will essentially be West Wales.
The new name is apparently.....And brace yourself for such marketing genius......Scarlet Ospreys

The new name is apparently.....And brace yourself for such marketing genius......Scarlet Ospreys

I don't know why I'm surprised really... but I am! It's almost as if effective branding/marketing is allergic to anything welsh.

So I'm so miffed with that potentially being the new club name I decided to come up with a new brand for each of the 4 new regions (should one be started in the North as is expected) just to prove to the WRU it isn't rocket science.

West Wales Wyverns (not quite a dragon but begins with a W) - Red, Black and White horizontal stripes to rep Llanelli, Neath and Swansea.

South Wales 49ers (referencing the mining history of Wales) - White, Blue and Black horizontal stripes repping Cardiff, Pontypridd and Bridgend (as I think the eastern edge of Ospreylia should prob become part of a South Wales Region).

East Wales Rams (referencing our sheep-'hugging' stereotype) - Amber, Black and Green horizontal stripes repping Newport, Ebbw and Pontypool.

North Wales Druids (welsh historical mystics or some such) - Green... as there... is just a lot of greenery... up there!

It's not perfect... but 100 times better than Scarlet bloody Ospreys... and it took me all of 5 minutes.

Last edited:
There is a West Wales Rugby Union.
They play in Red, Gold and Black.
How about Western Warriors.

So I'm so miffed with that potentially being the new club name I decided to come up with a new brand for each of the 4 new regions (should one be started in the North as is expected) just to prove to the WRU it isn't rocket science.

West Wales Wyverns (not quite a dragon but begins with a W) - Red and White horizontal stripes to rep Llanelli and Swansea.

South Wales 49ers (referencing the mining history of Wales) - White, Blue and Black horizontal stripes repping Cardiff, Pontypridd and Bridgend (as I think the eastern edge of Ospreylia should prob become part of a South Wales Region).

East Wales Rams (referencing our sheep-'hugging' stereotype) - Amber, Black and Green horizontal stripes repping Newport, Ebbw and Pontypool.

North Wales Druids (welsh historical mystics or some such) - Green... as there... is just a lot of greenery... up there!

It's not perfect... but 100 times better than Scarlet bloody Ospreys... and it took me all of 5 minutes.
Much better than my attempt.
What about
Gwent Steelers, playing in Royal blue and Black.

Keeping the two names would be stupid, it's too divisive.
No one will ever use the full name, they'd either be referred to as scarlet or ospreys, by commentary, alienating the other set of fans.

Keeping the two names would be stupid, it's too divisive.
No one will ever use the full name, they'd either be referred to as scarlet or ospreys, by commentary, alienating the other set of fans.

Totally agree... would be a disaster waiting to happen! Probably get voted in unanimously then...

If a merged team plays all it's games in Llanelli, calls itself Scarlet Ospreys and plays in Parc Y Scarlets, it'll resemble a takeover rather than a merger. As such a merged team would need to be completely rebranded.

From the outside I really don't see the sense in moving a team out of Swansea which has a population of about 250000 and is steeped in rugby history into Colwyn Bay.

No doubt some marketing "guru" came up with that after an obscene amount of money was thrown at them.

I'm right in saying some of it would be Dyfed and Glamorgan?

So go back further. Deheubarth.

Looks like the idea of an east and west team, with a development team up north really is taking a big step towards reality. If the WRU can persuade the Ospreys and Scarlets to merge then I feel it's only a matter of time before Cardiff and the Dragons have to consider it.

It would mean two well funded teams. The development pathway would need looking at.

Still in a bit of shock.

Latest posts