• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Twenty20 World Cup

Should be called the World Series Baseball, as far as I`m concerned. As if ODI`s wasn`t enough to take away from the great game of first-class cricket, now there`s a little slap-and-giggle, tip-and-run, and all assorted backyard cricket being thrown into the mix too. And it`s called a World Cup, FFS. Should`ve stayed with the Hong Kong 6`s tourney.

should be a bit of fun and plenty of runs scored. mcCullum seems like he will be opening for the black caps which should be interesting to see.

Who will win?
[/b]
If they don't have a form slump, Australia should win.

Twenty20 is very impulsive though, and any player on their night could rip open the other team with explosive batting.

yeah it will be intersting, the kiwis left today.

i think it will be an interesting competition as any team can beat any other on their day.

but aussies seam to be pretty strong all around, they will be hard to beat

aus should be the favourites one would think. twenty/twenty though leaves little room for error and if one team is on they can just explode and get plenty of runs.

Ticket prices are a whopping £1.50 for a regular game going up to £5 for the final!

Why the hell didn't they do those kinds of prices for the Cricket World Cup in the Carribean?! If there are multiple sports vying for the limelight in South Africa, you can hardly say that the SA cricket board haven't done all they can with those kinds of prices!!

Yeah, the ticket prices are very reasonable. Probably the easiest way to fill out the stadiums, seeing as SA cricket has done all in its blundering power with the team announcement to ensure that the Proteas arrive as totally underprepared. Axed are Kallis, Hall (who was asked to leave his county duties 2 months early to prepare for this tourney, and was then unceremoniously dumped, costing him R220,000 in potential earnings in the process), and Steyn.

Right, considering that the likes of both Van Jaarsvelds, Garnett Kruger (a "player of colour") and Rudolph have all signed Kolpak contracts during the last few months, and this hot on the heels of Jon Trott (another "player of colour") defection to England, following in KP`s footsteps, and the retention of Arthur and Smith as coach and captain in the wake of the Carribean chokathon, well maybe Cricket SA should rather look at getting it`s own house in order also. Also, Hall, Boje and Klusener have all joined up with the rebel ICL, and you get the picture.

ticket prices could be that cheap to intice people away from the tv.

there just happens to be another world cup on around the same time, they didnt really think that through very well did they?

meh it's only the early stages of the rugby world cup. seeing someone thrash nambia etc is hardly gripping tv. although england v south africa is fairly early on in the world cup which could defintely affect the audience in South africa.

Apparently this tourney started yesterday, and SA won the opener against the Windies. Today, Pakistan and NZ won their respective matches, while the Aussies lost by 5 wickets to the Zimbots :p !

P.S. I say apparently because I only remembered it`s on when a mate just phoned me to say I must watch the Aussies getting their asses handed to them by Zim. There is this other tournament going on at the moment which kinda has my attention occupied.....

see the timing of this tournament is very odd. the differences in pitches is unbelievable which I think is due to playing cricket this early in south africa which I don't think happens too often. seems like the icc is just trying to make some extra cash on 20/20 cricket and also an attempt to take some money etc away from rival competition like the new ICL. rugby is what most people are thinking especially while the world cup is on. twenty/twenty is a very distant second.

P.S. I say apparently because I only remembered it`s on when a mate just phoned me to say I must watch the Aussies getting their asses handed to them by Zim. There is this other tournament going on at the moment which kinda has my attention occupied.....

[/b]

You might not be too impressed with the format of this rype of game, but you can't argue over the entertainment value of seeing the Aussies getting beat down by the Zimbos, and beat down GOOD.

I was at the Tuks 'lentedag' 2 days ago and in the evening we made our way to hatfield square, they had the rugby and the cricket on a bunch of the numerous big screens you get there, and no one was watching the rugby because everyone wanted to see Zim win that game (allthough it has to be said that the rugby was Fiji vs. Tonga).

The entire square erupted after seeing zim win :p

allthough with things as they are, half of hatfield might actually be -from- zim.

Going slightly off topic here- Boggle my man, if you`re in Hatfield, and at Tuks, while also being a Stormers/Province supporter, respect mate. Supporting the right team way up there in enemy territory- well done! Just goes to show, there are actually some brains north of the Jukskei. Probably the reason you got into Tuks hey!

meh it's only the early stages of the rugby world cup. seeing someone thrash nambia etc is hardly gripping tv. although england v south africa is fairly early on in the world cup which could defintely affect the audience in South africa.
[/b]

The game last night was enthralling (India/ Pak), until the "bowlout" now I know that its meant to be the equivelant of a penalty shootout but it was corny. Also in a pen shootout, at least the opposition keeper has a chance to save one o fyour shots, albeit the odds are stacked against him, fail to see the sense in the bowlout where u bowl to stumps with no batters!

Latest posts