• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Two Argentines shortlisted for Player of Year award

Lol. WTF is Contempomi doing in the short-list?
Average player to say the least.

I think Hernandez will win thanks to all the hype, but Habana is also a contender. I don't believe it will come down to McCaw this year.

Shouldn't be McCaw, he was left wanting in the France match, you cannot blame a ref for that..

Shouldn't be Contipomi, Leinster had an average HCup, and he hasn't been that good for Argentina.

Jauzion. Good player, shouldn't be up for this award.

Habana should win it, but he hasn't been player of the year.

Forwards never get the vote just like defenders in football.

In that case McCaw should win

McCaw missed half the Super14, and the business end of the WC.
So it'll be hard to call him the best player this year.

Habana had a good end to the Super14 (especially with that game winning try) and has now equalled the try scoring record at the WC. He is also in the final, which is where he could swing the vote in his favour.

Juazion and Contempone don't deserve to be on the shortlist. I too would have thought Mortlock deserved a place here. Good Super14 and amazing 3N's. Luke McAlister has also had a very good season (apart from the missed tackle on Mortlock in the Bledisloe and the card in the WC quarter). I would have added those two and removed Jauzion and Contempone.

Hernandez is all the rage at the moment. He's been great at FB for Stade and solid at FH for Argentina. It would be fitting that he received this years award as he has been one of the most talked about players of this year.

I think the winner is between Hernandez and Habana, with Hernandez slightly ahead at present. It will all come down to Habana's performance in the final. If he plays ok, and scores a try to claim the record, then he'll also get the award. If England strangle the life out of him then Hernandez will hold on for it.

Edit: Or they could throw a curve ball and give the award to New Zealands Caleb Ralph or Tasesa Lavea.

I agree with Scuuba on this matter.

IMHO the award should go to Habana or Hernandez, maybe with a slight advantage for Habana since he may became World Champion. If he scores against England, he will be favourite for the award, regardless of Hernandez' performance against France.

On the contrary, if he doesn't play good at the final, and Hernandez plays a game like the one against Ireland... then HE will be the Player of the Year.

I don't think Contepomi has a chance, left alone the rest...

I think it is brilliant that none of the guys who play for the big teams and nations are getting it. This will improve the game's image globally ad attract more people into it. The beauty of Rugby is, that unlike cricket of football you do not have to be good all round to win matches. Teamwork really does win matches in rugby, especially with 14 options around you

Gotta be Hernandez or Habana. Contepomi lost his temper too much & McCaw couldn't get past the 1/4s!

These guys all have great passion about the game and that gives them a huge boost against teams that are supposed to be much better than them on paper.

Well Habana won. I would have preferred Hernandez because of his recent form and RWC form. Habana is a fantastic wing, but Hernandez was better (he is so well rounded, and what he can do with the ball few others can).

I was sure that Habana would be the one getting it. But I thought that from the Pumas there were better players to chose from, I think that Roncero and Albacete.

Latest posts