• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

U20s 2020

Wales look more dangerous though, so i think the Italians could do with scoring again relativity soon.
Italy look 'hungry' though and much more aggressive. The Welsh boys look like they're a little bit shell-shocked.

Wales 7-8 Italy at Half time

Italy should be pretty clear really, they look a good, dynamic and powerful side with confidence. Wales have not been great. Had very little ball due to how well the Italians are playing up front but on the odd occasion that we've had the pill we've shown flashes. Some good character to have hung in there too.

Another unbelievable try. Irish forwards with some serious skills and gas. Great finish from Ahern.

Italy somewhat pulling away with two quick penalties in the first 5 minutes of the second half.

edit. and since those penalties Wales are just looking extremely rattled. Italy look better by the minute mind, very impressed by them.

Last edited:
So it ends 7-17 to Italy and was fully deserved. I'll be interested to see some more of the Italians to see if they really are as good as they looked tonight or if Wales were just poor.

Morgan Strong looked decent at 8 for Wales and Ellis Bevan definitely added more speed and direction to Wales when he came on with about 15 or 20 to go. Not a great deal to be positive about though (apart from that Welsh boy at 9 for the Italians).

Wales were very poor tonight, however credit where credit is due, Italy were very good I thought. Physical, creative and patient in attack. Lineout and scrum were strong, if not dominant, as was their work on the floor. Apart from that first Wales try their defense was also rock solid, forcing wales back and into errors on a regular basis.

Congrats to them.

This could be the best U20 we ever had. I think italian federation put together a big effort for the next U20 RWC in Italy with the purpose to enhance our best result, 8th place.
Very good game for the italian guys. Didn't expect a game like that, result never been on discussion. Garbisi is a very very good prospect at 10, hope we could find him soon with the Azzurri and the props too.

This could be the best U20 we ever had. I think italian federation put together a big effort for the next U20 RWC in Italy with the purpose to enhance our best result, 8th place.
Very good game for the italian guys. Didn't expect a game like that, result never been on discussion. Garbisi is a very very good prospect at 10, hope we could find him soon with the Azzurri and the props too.
A very promising group.

... I'll be interested to see some more of the Italians to see if they really are as good as they looked tonight or if Wales were just poor.

This is what I'm really courious to find out too...

P.S. Isn't Varney italian citizen too? I thought his mother is italian. (or is his grandma italian? That wouldn't make him italian citizen, just eligible)

This is what I'm really courious to find out too...

P.S. Isn't Varney italian citizen too? I thought his mother is italian. (or is his grandma italian? That wouldn't make him italian citizen, just eligible)
Just banter hap ;)

Just banter hap ;)

Oooops, sorry :D It's not easy for me to fully understand when you guys are joking or not.

Anyway, you could find it funny but the reason why I took it seariously is because in Italy we have a lot of supporters of italian rugby who are really choosy about people called out of the blue in the national teams. (some of the elegible are not game changers so some people, not fully wrong, got really tired of them and would like to see only italian players instead).
I undestand this point of view, and partially agree, but my opinion is that there are the rules and you should stick to them since we are the weakest federation and would be silly not to fight with the same weapons others use. And on top of it, a guy like Braam Steyn who came in Italy and really committed to Treviso and italian culture is for me more italian than a lot of my fellow contrymen.

Oooops, sorry :D It's not easy for me to fully understand when you guys are joking or not.

Anyway, you could find it funny but the reason why I took it seariously is because in Italy we have a lot of supporters of italian rugby who are really choosy about people called out of the blue in the national teams. (some of the elegible are not game changers so some people, not fully wrong, got really tired of them and would like to see only italian players instead).
I undestand this point of view, and partially agree, but my opinion is that there are the rules and you should stick to them since we are the weakest federation and would be silly not to fight with the same weapons others use. And on top of it, a guy like Braam Steyn who came in Italy and really committed to Treviso and italian culture is for me more italian than a lot of my fellow contrymen.
No worries buddy... eligibility is a common topic in rugby circles, least of which surrounding Wales of late. For as Welsh as Varney sounds and as well as he plays... he obviously wants to play for you guys and is eligible through his mom, so it's all good. He looks like he will be a very good player for you guys moving forward, the outside half looked good too.

No worries buddy... eligibility is a common topic in rugby circles, least of which surrounding Wales of late. For as Welsh as Varney sounds and as well as he plays... he obviously wants to play for you guys and is eligible through his mom, so it's all good. He looks like he will be a very good player for you guys moving forward, the outside half looked good too.
Eligibility should be the country you were born in and nothing else.... Unless you play for Sale in which case you have to choose any country that you weren't born in.

Some positive signs from the Ireland u20s in their win over Scotland last night.

Jack Crowley was eye catching with ball in hand. He has a wicked step and leaves defenders for dead. Not sure he's a flyhalf but you want to get him on the ball as a second receiver as much as possible.

Hayden Hyde looks a good player. Always makes yardage and looks to offload out of the tackle.

Thomas Ahern is a very athletic lock. Showed tremendous speed for his try and, again, looks to get the ball away in contact.

It wasn't noted last night but Tom Stewart showed great awareness in putting Ahern away for his score. He held the ball in both hands and commited a defender which helped the Munster lock hugely for his score.

anyone from England impressing
I'm not gonna lie, it's on my laptop screen directly behind me - I forgot the game was on until 38mins in and I turned around to see our scrum getting absolutely demolished.

Apparently Rus Tuima is having a good game

Latest posts