• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ulster v Munster

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Jan 1 2010, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Is that lucky try the one in Monkeypidgeon's avatar? cuz that's flipping quality![/b]

Aye, that's the one. The Ball took a huge deflection and the defence was terrible. Would have got it myself.

Well if I was fit or fast and that jazz.

He got lucky with the deflected ball diverting into his path but after that he did brilliantly. The defenders stood off because he held the ball in both hands and had another player outside him. Had he tucked the ball under his arm, Sale would have tackled him. Great try. The previous week he was brilliant in an away game against Castres.

He's a decent player but his passing isn't great. That and injury are what will hold him back although he does have a few international caps. He looked good on the wing during the summer tour last year.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
our back row will be murdered with Henry and Faloon looking towards the Irish squad[/b]
Do you think Faloon has a chance to make the 6 Nations squad? He's having a breakout season but may be too lightweight to win international honours. He'll have a good career but like Kevin McLaughlin and Niall Ronan, probably isn't quite good enough to play for a full strength Ireland team.

Henry looks the real deal. He's improved massively since the beginning of last year.

Barry Murphy, while never going to be a BOD, had a great base to be an adequate international 13 but injury has halted him massively since then.
And even this year he has slipped further down the line as the likes of Hurley have shot up.

And Snoop on your views of Faloon and Henry, I think Faloon will never get in to a full strength team but may just pick up some soft caps vs USA, Canada etc.

But as regard Leamys injury the #19 jersey is vacant in my eyes and Henry is 1 of the contenders as he is playing well although I think a Leinster player will fill the spot

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Jan 2 2010, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
And Snoop on your views of Faloon and Henry, I think Faloon will never get in to a full strength team but may just pick up some soft caps vs USA, Canada etc.[/b]
That's quite possible. John Muldoon and Niall Ronan will never play for Ireland again yet both have a pair of caps due to the unavailability of 30 or more players last summer.

Soft caps will most likely be picked up in 2011 (resting players ahead of a World Cup) or 2013 (Lions tour) again. Faloon may just pick up a cap in 2011 but by 2013 he'll be out of the picture. I'd say Peter O'Mahony, Brian O'Hara, David Pollock, Rhys Ruddock, Dominic Ryan and Tommy O'Donnell will all be ahead of him on the depth chart by then never mind Stephen Ferris, Chris Henry, Jamie Heaslip, Shane Jennings, Denis Leamy and Sean O'Brien (I'm leaving David Wallace and Alan Quinlan off the list because I assume they'll have retired by then).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Jan 2 2010, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Jan 2 2010, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And Snoop on your views of Faloon and Henry, I think Faloon will never get in to a full strength team but may just pick up some soft caps vs USA, Canada etc.[/b]
That's quite possible. John Muldoon and Niall Ronan will never play for Ireland again yet both have a pair of caps due to the unavailability of 30 or more players last summer.

Soft caps will most likely be picked up in 2011 (resting players ahead of a World Cup) or 2013 (Lions tour) again. Faloon may just pick up a cap in 2011 but by 2013 he'll be out of the picture. I'd say Peter O'Mahony, Brian O'Hara, David Pollock, Rhys Ruddock, Dominic Ryan and Tommy O'Donnell will all be ahead of him on the depth chart by then never mind Stephen Ferris, Chris Henry, Jamie Heaslip, Shane Jennings, Denis Leamy and Sean O'Brien (I'm leaving David Wallace and Alan Quinlan off the list because I assume they'll have retired by then).
[/b][/quote]
Do you reckon we'll tour in 2011 like we did in Argentina in 2007 bringing fringe players and resting our front-line.

But as you list the players there we realize we'll have some serious options in back-row if all prospects blossom

Eh Leinsterrock I can get ye a delayed coverage link I reckon but there'll be nothing live.

A full-strength Ulster side beat a second-string, maybe third-string, Munster side 15-10. On the plus side, de Villiers scored once again :lol:

Whoooooo another try for JDV :weightliftingnaner: .Can anyone give me some info on this try please?Was it a line-break try again?maybe an intercept? :p or what?

Cheers :cheers:

We really should have won that, we played way more rugby than Ulster who were two happy to kick it away.

JdV's try was a wonderful pick up and dive in from a few metres out after Ulster spilled the ball, but it came after a sustained period of Munster pressure (the majority of the game was Munster pressure FFS)

At least Archer, O'Donnell and O'Mahony got on the field :) Archer looks better than Buckley tbh

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jan 3 2010, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
We really should have won that, we played way more rugby than Ulster who were two happy to kick it away.

JdV's try was a wonderful pick up and dive in from a few metres out after Ulster spilled the ball, but it came after a sustained period of Munster pressure (the majority of the game was Munster pressure FFS)

At least Archer, O'Donnell and O'Mahony got on the field :) Archer looks better than Buckley tbh[/b]

I sadly missed it. Performance review by player and units please?

With Stringer and Warwick at 9 and 10 we were always going to play an expansive game, and both were largely good although Warwick had a few poor kicks but nothing too much to worry about.

Damian Varley, Donncha Ryan and James Coughlan probably pick of the forwards, Stringer and JdV pick of the backs, although Dowling was back to being Ian Dowling with some great touches.

No shockers from Munster, everybody gave a pretty good account of themselves, the referee was very quick to blow for holding on and very slow to blow for not rolling away/killing the ball which hurt us as we played most of the rugby. Really should have won.

Lads great performance by thee Munster lads and a few fringe players (Coughlan, Ryan & Varley) really put their hands up to be in contention for H'Cup games.

If Flannery is out I'd gamble Varley as his darts were good and in open play he was getting stuck into everything.
Also Donnacha Ryan took on plenty of ball and stood up like a leader last night.

I'd also like the point out that either Mafi and JdV were playing left/rigth or they started with JdV at 12 and then switched after JdV missed another tackle, something that just doesn't happen with Mafi.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Jan 2 2010, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
A full-strength Ulster side beat a second-string, maybe third-string, Munster side 15-10. On the plus side, de Villiers scored once again :lol:[/b]

Sounds like a bitter pill to swallow.
A win's a win remember - regardless of whether it's against a 2nd string team or not.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Jan 5 2010, 03:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Jan 2 2010, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A full-strength Ulster side beat a second-string, maybe third-string, Munster side 15-10. On the plus side, de Villiers scored once again :lol:[/b]

Sounds like a bitter pill to swallow.
A win's a win remember - regardless of whether it's against a 2nd string team or not.
[/b][/quote]
Not a bitter pill, I actually thought that Ulster would win the match - was hoping to attend it, but it was sold out. Ulster have a great team and good building blocks, but the need to maintain a consistancy in all competitions.

Lads no bitterness involved but even Ulster would admit that wasn't a great result.

Ulster camp even said: "We played well against Leinster and lost, played poorly today and won"

Latest posts