Underwater rugby world cup

hermanshire

Academy Player
Country Flag
Norway
Club or Nation
Scarlets
In this sport, Norway is the best in the world

I have no answer to why we are this good, says a norwegian national team player.

It said to be the only three-dimensional sport in the world, ruthless struggle under
water, and Norway is the best in the world.

Later this month raises two Norwegian national team for the World Cup in Colombia
with gold ambitions.

But how Norway has become a superpower in the sport?

- I simply can not answer, says Jon Reidar Heggdal, which participates in the 15-man
men's squad for the World Cup in Colombia.

The mens team have mostly been among the top three to four throughout history.
It is certainly a tradition of underwater rugby at a high level in Norway, continues Heggdal
who play every day in Molde Undervannsklubb, one of the world's best clubs.

Physical exhaustion
In underwater rugby consisting each game of two halves of 15 minutes. Heggdal says
that the sport is an enormous strain.

- One is totally physically exhausted after the game. You is also very mentally tired,
since the sport takes place in three dimensions. There are a lot of strength, physique and fitness.

our years ago, Norway became historic when both men's and women's national team won the gold
medal in Helsinki in Finland. Norway has not taken gold medal in any team sports at both men's and
women's side earlier

Overall the senior national teams of underwater rugby won 22 medals in World Cup and European
Championships, seven of them gold. The Norwegian women's team was also historic in 1995 when the
women won Norway's first gold medal in a team sport - months before the women's national football
did the same.

In this year's World Cup squad for men it is Molde Undervannsklubb dominate. The club has 8 of the
15 players on the team. Molde has also won the first three editions of the Euroleague, a kind of answer
to football's Champions League.

- In Molde we have had many dedicated players for a long time. We play different than many other teams
in Norway and abroad. We play at a faster pace and is more offensive to work our way back home, Heggdal says.

Favorites
Norway is obvious gold candidates, but Heggdal says there is good competition.

- I like to think we are favorites, but nothing is settled before any final. We, Colombia and Germany are the
favorites. Colombia plays very similar to us, and can compete very. It will be a tough challenge, says Heggdal.

He has just returned home after a national team gathering in Bergen.

The championship starts on July 26 and the finals are played on 1 August. 13 nations are participating in
the championship.

source:
http://www.adressa.no/100Sport/svomming/article567958.snd

Not sure which category this one fits, so i put in general rugby union

Latest posts