• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

United Rugby Championship: Round 6

I assume that they will bring forward all the South African home derbies, they have to play each other home and away and rearrange the rest of the tournament somehow.

I suppose I will just have to learn to be patient. I am used to Wednesday/Thursday line up releases. You are also 2 hours "behind" us which seems to have a small compounding impact.

Perhaps I am just not plugged in enough but from what I see in SA there is very little to no promotion. Though I am tempted to go to CT stadium on Saturday regardless. Maybe take my boy to his first live match.
The South African sides announced it on Wednesdays even since they joined the URC.
It's very weird that there is complete silence regarding teams,, unlike the South African teams. Maybe they want to play the same games that their Northern Counterparts are playing but it makes no sense as you are not hiding the lineup from anyone important.

Maybe the officials in the loop knew it was pointless to announce teams.

Last edited:
The South African sides announced it on Wednesdays even since they joined the URC.
It's very weird that there is complete silence regarding teams,, unlike the South African teams. Maybe they want to play the same games that their Northern Counterparts are playing but it makes no sense as you are not hiding the lineup from anyone important.

Maybe the officials in the loop knew it was pointless to announce teams.
It is more different structures here and well the full availability status of guys is not accurate until 24 hours or so before.

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Jimmy O'Brien (36)

14. Adam Byrne (59)

13. Robbie Henshaw (57)

12. Ciarán Frawley (40)

11. Jordan Larmour (64)

10. Ross Byrne (108)

9. Luke McGrath (155) CAPTAIN

1. Ed Byrne (74)

2. James Tracy (131)

3. Tadhg Furlong (116)

4. Ross Molony (121)

5. Devin Toner (268)

6. Dan Leavy (75)

7. Scott Penny (30)

8. Rhys Ruddock (193)

Replacements:

16. Seán Cronin (196)

17. Peter Dooley (94)

18. Vakh Abdaladze (12)

19. Max Deegan (68)

20. Will Connors (23)

21. Nick McCarthy (38)

22. Harry Byrne (25)

23. Tommy O'Brien (10)

Absolutely shocked to see Furlong starting.

Kak times. I hope we at least manage to swap out and play derbies and hopefully that might open up the schedule to be able to catch up on missed fixtures. That said there is a lot of more important implications/considerations than a few missed sports fixtures. My brother for instance won't be home for Christmas and even that (though personally devastating) is small fry in relation to possible impacts. Doesn't bare pondering really.

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Jimmy O'Brien (36)

14. Adam Byrne (59)

13. Robbie Henshaw (57)

12. Ciarán Frawley (40)

11. Jordan Larmour (64)

10. Ross Byrne (108)

9. Luke McGrath (155) CAPTAIN

1. Ed Byrne (74)

2. James Tracy (131)

3. Tadhg Furlong (116)

4. Ross Molony (121)

5. Devin Toner (268)

6. Dan Leavy (75)

7. Scott Penny (30)

8. Rhys Ruddock (193)

Replacements:

16. Seán Cronin (196)

17. Peter Dooley (94)

18. Vakh Abdaladze (12)

19. Max Deegan (68)

20. Will Connors (23)

21. Nick McCarthy (38)

22. Harry Byrne (25)

23. Tommy O'Brien (10)

Absolutely shocked to see Furlong starting.
Yuuup Jimmy, Yuuuup

Tadhg gets no break. Is resources that shallow at THP.
Interesting to see 10 jersey and Deegan in at 19?
Presume Rhys Ruddock is lock reserve.

Ulster team v Leinster announced.

1. Andrew Warwick 2. Rob Herring 3. Marty Moore 4. Alan O'Connor (capt) 5. Sam Carter 6. Greg Jones 7. Nick Timoney 8. David McCann 9. John Cooney 10. Billy Burns 11. Ethan McIlroy 12. Stuart McCloskey 13. James Hume 14. Craig Gilroy 15. Mike Lowry

Bench: 16. Tom Stewart 17. Eric O'Sullivan 18. Ross Kane 19. Mick Kearney 20. Marcus Rea 21. Nathan Doak 22. Angus Curtis 23. Rob Lyttle

Looks like a pretty strong team. No Henderson, but delighted to see Cooney back, with Mike Lowry returning to fullback. Timoney only had one substitute appearance for Ireland, so he doesn't need a rest, thankfully - he's been our best player this season so far. McCloskey and Hume didn't get any game time, so they'll be nice and fresh. No Baloucoune though, and Stockdale still mustn't be fit, but Gilroy and McIlroy have done well for us this season.

Interesting to see academy graduate Tom Stewart on the bench at hooker - Brad Roberts saw action for Wales, but to pick him ahead of John Andrew for a big game like this, they must have a high opinion of him. Angus Curtis at 22 ahead of Madge as well. A long time since he's played, hopefully his injury troubles are behind him.

Furlong isn't human. Hopefully he'll be a tired beast tomorrow. Most of Leinster's Ireland stars are rested, but you guys have ridiculous strength in depth. Hopefully we'll have enough to give you a game.

Really looking forward to seeing Stewart. He's had a bad run of injuries but he has the talent to go to the WC if he can get right.

In a pub (heated outdoor) before watching Leinster win 48-13. Reckon it could be the last time I'm in a pub or at a game for a wee while. Gonna enjoy

In a pub (heated outdoor) before watching Leinster win 48-13. Reckon it could be the last time I'm in a pub or at a game for a wee while. Gonna enjoy
Hope you are enjoying it.

Cooney in under serious pressure now. Doak is a serious player

Well, that was a fantastic result. I don't mind admitting I was worried after the Connacht game, but Ulster have clearly used the international break well. We defended well and were much better organised in possession than we have been really all season.

I'd slightly disagree with munstermuffin - Doak does look like a proper player, but having Cooney back today was a big boost. He was slightly wobbly off the tee, but he tied the team together. Doak came on for the last quarter and closed off the game well. Does no harm to have two excellent scrum halves.

The pack were excellent. We've been overpowered up front by Leinster in recent meetings, but today we matched them. Herring and Timoney were outstanding, I thought Andrew Warwick had a very good game, and David McCann is looking like a proper player as well. Didn't get to see Tom Stewart after all - he didn't get off the bench. Likewise Angus Curtis.

Definitely happier now than I have been for the last month. After the performance against Connacht I was very worried about the upcoming Heineken Cup games, but my nerves are now steadied somewhat.

Exciting game, but unfortunately for me the Warriors lost by one point at Benetton. o_O

Apparently the teams are all still in South Africa

They were running around like headless chickens would have been better to have played the games and take some time to actually sit down and think.

Latest posts