• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Upset of this years tournament?

C

Cymrurugbyfan

Munster losing their first and last game at Limerick to the Tigers.

Toulouse not making it through their pool.

Northampton managing to beat last years runners-up Biarritz away from home in the quarters.

Ospreys flopping terribly, despite having a formidable side.

etc...

I think Saints victory in San Sebastien has to go down as the biggest upset. No one gave us even the remotest chance of victory, and while I'll readily admit Biarritz were poor on the day, our defense still took us to victory.

What a season to choose to put a European campaign together.

I think Saints victory in San Sebastien has to go down as the biggest upset. No one gave us even the remotest chance of victory, and while I'll readily admit Biarritz were poor on the day, our defense still took us to victory.

What a season to choose to put a European campaign together.
[/b]

I agree with you this was the biggest upset of this season HEC.

Toulouse loss versus Llanelli comes after, Leinster had already showed the way last year.

[/b]

Sorry, i must have missed the Heineken Cup you were watching.
I saw Ospreys only lose one game in their pools and actually win more games than Northampton (which i'm still bitter about coz i say wins not points should dictate who goes through) who went on to the semi's.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Sorry, i must have missed the Heineken Cup you were watching.
I saw Ospreys only lose one game in their pools and actually win more games than Northampton (which i'm still bitter about coz i say wins not points should dictate who goes through) who went on to the semi's.
[/b][/quote]
I put that there because if you look at their sqaud, they were quite capable of getting through their pool at least. They lose to Paris away, fair enough. They come within 1 point of beating Sale at home o_O. They beat an injury-ridden Sale side away and draw to Paris in Swansea. With the team they have (All black Legend Marshall, Grand-Slam champions Shane Williams, Gavin Henson, Adam Jones, Ryan Jones *3 of these went on to play for the British and Irish Lions*, the new kid on the block James Hook. And that's not even half the team.) Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Ospreys fan, but with the team they had they should have done a little better than pool runners-up despite it being a difficult one.

Get real, we were pool runners up to stade francais who were only just beaten in the quarters by the (at the time) rampant Leicester.

We should have beaten Stade Francais, but it didn't happen.

The media would probably have picked the final given the hype they churned out about Tigers. I think the biggest shock was Saints taking out Biarritz. As for the Ospreys, they beat the English champions, but failed to get the points they needed versus Stade. Disappointing for them but not really a shock, given they had one of the hardest pools. IMO Ospreys simply need to get a bit more grit, tighten the defence a little and get a big match temperament. They have a side as good as any club on paper, but this is not the first time they have lost out on big results they could/should have taken. They have lost to Tigers 3 times in 3 matches past 2 seasons, despite Tigers never really having to play convincingly well.

Yeah, and as much as i hate it that's what Leicester are good at.
They know how to win.
Ospreys are a young franchise and aren't used to getting the win for the big games.
We'll learn one day, but we have to watch how teams like Leicester do it.

yeah saints in biaritz. Part of me wants to say luck helped you on your way but the fact that it was done in san sebstian makes it a good un!

I could not believe Munster lost in Thomond.
huge Penalty in those conditions
Saints beating Biaritz away
Munster winning in welford road was a but of an upset aswell with ROG's
Wasps beating Tigers in the final
Ulster destroying Toulouse
Llanelli winning 7/8

3 out of 4 of the semi finalists being English teams. I expected at least 1 of Munster and Leinster or 1 of Stade, Toulouse and Biarritz

3 out of 4 of the semi finalists being English teams. I expected at least 1 of Munster and Leinster or 1 of Stade, Toulouse and Biarritz

[/b]

That's because all you Celtic boys under-rate the Premiership.

well it should be considering we have an uber pool of death that puts Pool D into the shade in terms of difficulty.

I thought it was a weird tournament. hopefully this year will be better
cheers [/b]

the Saints win really made things change. Wasps had some decent pool games and then a home Q/F v Leinster. Then they played Saints, so really got to the final without being too tested. They were deserved winners on the day of the final, but it's a shame they didn't have to show too much before then.

Latest posts