• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

URC: the SF's!

heard an an interview with D'arcy today and he talked about how Leinster was at their best when they had a contingent of foreign players. Not only were they international class but they brought a different perspective to the game and taught the squad things about being a professional. Looked into it and other than 2017-2018 when they only had 2 foreigners they usually had 4-5 foreigners in the 23. D'Arcy was saying they need to make an effort to bring in guys in key positions that have something to teach the squad.

Also there is a really good Leinster fly half playing for Brizzle next year.

Also there is a really good Leinster fly half playing for Brizzle next year.
Weirdly he was a Leinster scrumhalf, it was him vs Cooney for a contract and Cooney got the nod
Started playing 10 when he went to America

23 for sure. Replacement for Steyn.
No, I think he will be included but not in place of Steyn. Steyn is massively rated by the current coaching setup and tbh me too, age has done nothing to his key attributes and that has only been strengthened by the value experience brings to someone who kicks at goal and for territory.

Look at the video below if you have suspicions that Steyn is being weaned out, this press conference was about three days ago. Nienaber pretty much told the media that if Frans Steyn atleast stays in Shape he will walk into the squad. It's pretty much his choice whether he wants to be in the team or not. Steyn is going to the World Cup, that's why he extended with the Cheetahs.

Here is the video I reference:

From min 2:55 he starts talking about Steyn

Last edited:
Surely the Salary Cap will have to increase? I still don't understand how the Sharks could be under the Cap
Its not a cap like the premiership has, its more of a guideline by SARU, but they will be ok if Sharks breach the cap because it benefits them to keep the players in South Africa.

heard an an interview with D'arcy today and he talked about how Leinster was at their best when they had a contingent of foreign players.

Not just the number, but the quality.

Rewind about 10 years.

We had Afoa, Muller, Pienaar, Payne (I count Payne as foreign in this as he was one of the top players in Europe the moment he arrived. Then got injured. Only qualified as "non-foreign" 3 years later.)
Munster had Botha, Howlett and Warwick
Leinster had Thorn & Nacewa.

Now? Sam Carter doesn't make our squads, we do have Vermeulen though. Leinster don't have anyone of note and Munster have Kleyn and DeAllende. Clote doesn't make their squads half the time.

Only Vermeulen and DeAllende is of comparable standard to a decade ago. The rest are at best journeymen. So thats 10 down to 2.

Latest posts