• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

USA all the way? doubtful

R

rampantrugger

as much as i have pride in my country and among the many things the US is good at rugby just isn't one of those things but i really wish the were good so the north western hemisphere could have something to brag about come september

as much as i have pride in my country and among the many things the US is good at rugby just isn't one of those things but i really wish the were good so the north western hemisphere could have something to brag about come september [/b]

Our greatest hope lies in canada :lol: and thats not saying much...

i really hope the USA can manage one win!

Don't discount all your chances just yet... The bog eyed muppet is bound to play a horrible Italian c*** at 8 and cost us the game...

<div class='quotemain'> as much as i have pride in my country and among the many things the US is good at rugby just isn't one of those things but i really wish the were good so the north western hemisphere could have something to brag about come september [/b]

Our greatest hope lies in canada :lol: and thats not saying much...

i really hope the USA can manage one win!
[/b][/quote]
No, not the Canadians!!!!
Truth is we're getting better all the time. I don't think you can argue with that. We're not taking steps backwards, we are slowly progressing.
We as American Ruggers must do our share to continualy recruit, inform, and motivate people. Rugby is grassroots in America, which means you and I have to do our part to create a dominate USA Rugby for tomorrow.

O'R, you just need a john philip souza march behind you and an uncle sam hat, and we could put that on a poster!

USA All the Way?

The eternal optimist says no.

He also says that one team (hopefully Samoa) may underestimate us and lose. And that we'll beat Tonga.

Amen.

honestly the US is getting better and taking the steps in the right direction and the USA falcons took 2nd in the Na4 and the USA hawks took 3rd i think so it is reasonable to think that the combined sides of the hawks and falcons can beat the combined sides of canada so in reality if samoa does underestimate USA then it is quite possible for the US to win at least 2 matches but they still have a long road ahead of them to beat the likes of South Africa and England

Yup, I basically just hope the US doesn't get embarrased and maybe has one of these teams scared at halftime.

I am personally surprised (in a good way) that the U.S. keeps making it to the final tournament, world cup after world cup.

I am personally surprised (in a good way) that the U.S. keeps making it to the final tournament, world cup after world cup. [/b]
Why are you surprised? What teams do you think should be there that aren't? If you're surprised they're there every four years then surely there is some reasoning behind it :)

There is no great rugby tradition in the U.S., that's why I was surprised. Rugby there is a bit better than cricket, in that lotsa college kids play it, but the national team is filled with ex-pats.

Who could (not 'should') make it instead of the US? First answer that comes to mind: Chile. Or even Uruguay/Paraguay. And frankly I'd like to see rugby developped in Africa. The rugby establishment has given up too soon on the Black continent. And I don't mean Namibia/Botswana; I am referring to the Ivory Coast, Uganda, Senegal.

obviously though urugauy doesnt deserve it more than the united states considering the united states beat them twice in a row to qualify for the tournament over them.

an interesting tid bit to remember is that rugby is the fastest growing contact sport in the united states.

I think you misunderstood me. I'm glad the US is at the world cup. What wouldn't I give for the US to beat England :cheers: They/you did it in soccer in 1950, so why not??

Fastest growing contact sport - that's good. I'm a little worried, just as with cricket and soccer: the marketing machines of the 3 big sport corporations (NFL - MLB - NBA) make it very difficult for any other sport to become popular. I guess you know it all too well.

I think you misunderstood me. I'm glad the US is at the world cup. What wouldn't I give for the US to beat England :cheers: They/you did it in soccer in 1950, so why not??

Fastest growing contact sport - that's good. I'm a little worried, just as with cricket and soccer: the marketing machines of the 3 big sport corporations (NFL - MLB - NBA) make it very difficult for any other sport to become popular. I guess you know it all too well. [/b]

Yep i agree with you its a shame, even though i love watching football i also love watching rugby. It wont be big here until theres money in it i fear, and that wont happen for a good amount of time. First things first i think we should start out by having the USA Eagles play in a stadium other than the shitty one out in california! Play in a 20,000 seat stadium where rugby is predominant and it will grow.

Also we really need to get it on TV thats crucial. But i forgot spelling bee, dominoes, poker, and paintball take up to much air time on ESPN :rolleyes:

Don't discount all your chances just yet... The bog eyed muppet is bound to play a horrible Italian c*** at 8 and cost us the game... [/b]

Got to agree there , although if you have the defensive genious that is Chris Wyles playing even Dayglo might get the odd break :) Good luck for the tournament though ... If our final 30 players or however many is as bad as im thinking i cant see why you cant give england a run for there money!

as much as i have pride in my country and among the many things the US is good at rugby just isn't one of those things but i really wish the were good so the north western hemisphere could have something to brag about come september
[/b]

You would think we would be respectable with all the people who play football here. Rugby will always be considered a college intermural sport here in the US.

in general here's the deal...

rugby in the United States does not have a following except among a very few American rugby fans and the expat population

the game needs to get on TV - and i'm not talking a subscription channel, i mean games on basic cable and satellite packages

American rugby people need to realize that the benefits of the game go beyond playing and actually show some interest in following the game

the top players in this country need to make their time training and playing for the national team be made worthwhile, this means USA rugby needs to start planning for putting players under contract full-time or part-time or putting together structures for professional rugby to be played

why don't we send more of our players overseas to Europe and Southern Hemisphere competitions to play high level rugby? Look at the success that smaller nations have by sending their best players to the top countries in the world - i.e. Georgia.