• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

USA creating a professional Rugby League?

V

voicekiller

I have been reading a lot of articles on-line saying they are trying to create a professional league here in the states within the next 12 months. I hope this really happens here, we need it for this sport to thrive in the USA, and for the Eagles to be competitive internationally. I don't know why it isn't already. I think all it needs here is a marketing campaign to get USA Rugby off the ground. Hopefully all of our international brothers can help us with this venture.

That sounds great. Could you possibly provide some links to the said information?

Isn't this part of what Englishman Nigel Melville is trying to achieve for the best of USA rugby? A league competition will benefit greatly from their current form and I also heard they are aiming to qualify for the 2011 RWC quater-final stage.

Thanx for that. If there is a Professional League kicked off there, and providing the contracts are of decent value, there would definitely be overseas players wanting to come and have a crack.

Thanx for that. If there is a Professional League kicked off there, and providing the contracts are of decent value, there would definitely be overseas players wanting to come and have a crack. [/b]

Yeah you guys could be facing up with the European teams in contracting retired players from the Southern Hemisphere, just like what has been happening lately to that "exodus up north" story. If you have the money to grab their attention then it will definitely fast-foward America's development to a more recognised professional rugby nation. :)

A pro rugby league will go the same as the pro football league. Tons of cash, not much interest, all the broken down players will play over there until the league eventually goes bankrupt, the same story with the US still loving thier 'home grown' games and not bothering to look elsewhere.... (in most cases)

A pro rugby league will go the same as the pro football league. Tons of cash, not much interest, all the broken down players will play over there until the league eventually goes bankrupt, the same story with the US still loving thier 'home grown' games and not bothering to look elsewhere.... (in most cases)
[/b]
I hope your not right...i want to be optimistic about it

Can anyone post articles about this? the big thing here is timing: with the exodus of SH players to the NH, hopefully we'll be able to poach a few stars for our league. Incorporating some canadian teams would be pretty cool as well, as it would ensure that there's SOMEONE interested... i mean, look at Toronto FC in the MLS... Canadians love that sh*t...

That's the second thing btw... making sure that we clear rugby through customs and truly domesticate it... if it does clear through, then it'll take much longer it's taken MLS to domesticate soccer to the masses.

Anyway, we don't have to worry about the fan base, as this will be our ONLY source of rugby in the states... and hopefully this will build up a youth program here.

Totally excited.

It will all come down to managing money right. They MUST NOT spend all their money on players, they must spend a lot of it on infrastructure, whether it be management, competition structure, advertising and TV rights. Everything must be monetarily sound in order for it to stay healthy for a prolonged period of time, possibly just start and keep going forever.

To expand on my first point in saying they must not spend all their money on players, if they do start to throw copious amount of money at players here there and everywhere then all hell will break loose. A salary cap will need to be introduced....a maximum amount of monetary expenditure on players to be determined.

They need to get things right the first time.

Can anyone post articles about this? the big thing here is timing: with the exodus of SH players to the NH, hopefully we'll be able to poach a few stars for our league. Incorporating some canadian teams would be pretty cool as well, as it would ensure that there's SOMEONE interested... i mean, look at Toronto FC in the MLS... Canadians love that sh*t...

That's the second thing btw... making sure that we clear rugby through customs and truly domesticate it... if it does clear through, then it'll take much longer it's taken MLS to domesticate soccer to the masses.

Anyway, we don't have to worry about the fan base, as this will be our ONLY source of rugby in the states... and hopefully this will build up a youth program here.

Totally excited.
[/b]
I posted one...but it is still in its infancy stage so most of the articles i have seen except for the one above that i posted before are all blurbs. I have listed 2 more below that i could find

http://www.amnrl.com/vision/index.html

http://www.rugbymag.com/archive/2001/august/interview.htm

Forget about the first link you have there...that's for Rugby League, we're talking a Rugby Union here :)

Now to the 2nd link: The proposed pay for the players is too low. With traveling to away games the players would need time off work. With that being said, obviously it wouldn't be feasible to pay players as much as is needed.

I seriously can't see a National competition being started up just like that. They need to have a professional competition on each coast so everything is easier in the "development years".

I agree... but at the same time... most MLS players get paid under $20k a year... what we need is an INVESTMENT.... but that won't come until we market the sport... putting up a bid for the RWC would be nice.... but i doubt 2015 is an option for us after Japan lost the bid to NZ...

Sorry I was just looking for some articles fast because I only had the one...my bad

Forget about the first link you have there...that's for Rugby League, we're talking a Rugby Union here smile.gif[/b]

Yeah you guys could be facing up with the European teams in contracting retired players from the Southern Hemisphere, just like what has been happening lately to that "exodus up north" story. If you have the money to grab their attention then it will definitely fast-foward America's development to a more recognised professional rugby nation. :)

[/b]

Haha! Your SH player only wish that the Americans would gobble them up like the Europeans, but i think America have a big enough basket to dip their hands into.
Give it a bit of time and the yanks won't have a foreigner in their team.
If they ever got around to establishing this sport as a major one in america, new zealand could kiss that number 1 spot goodbye sooner than expected. :D

im really excited about this and i hope it falls through, i wonder if i'll be playin in that league someday..

i guarantee by the time this thing kicks off theyll be scoutin us college kids to fill teams and gain more experience.

and i agree with rugby_cymru, especially considering that the one thing no one can deny of the USA eagles is that we have some serious athletes, and once these athletes gain rugby skill we can dominate.

hell i'd take 20,000 a year to play rugby not to mention what i get on top of that when i work in pharmacy ill be making a great sum of money, im really interested in this..

Yeah like even in Hockey, two thirds of all the players in the NHL are Canadian and yet the Yanks still manage to kick arse in the Winter Olympics.

ridiculous patriotism and pride

ever see Miracle, the movie about the 1980 USA hockey team that beat the USSR in one of the biggest sporting upsets

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gOGQ4XuGt_4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gOGQ4XuGt_4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Latest posts