• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

(Very) early thoughts on the 2017 Lions

Surely Schmidt has to be Gatland's right hand man on the Lions tour. Leave Howley at home for this one Warren.

Surely Schmidt has to be Gatland's right hand man on the Lions tour. Leave Howley at home for this one Warren.

The impression I got from the papers is that the question is more whether Schmidt is interested.

The impression I got from the papers is that the question is more whether Schmidt is interested.

He said during week he wants to go to Japan and USA with our lads next summer and build for RWC19. I don't think him and Gatland have same style either and Gatland will want Howley

Gatland? Hire an assistant coach with ideas that aren't Gatland's? I don't really see that happening any time soon.

We will have to wait and see who he announces on 7 December. He left Shaun Edwards at home last time, he can leave Howley at home this time. He's also talked about have 2 coaches for each area I.e. 2 Defence coaches, 2 attack coaches so he can give one of them a day off during the tour.

The only bad thing to come out of that result is that Murray and Sexton can't not be picked. Sexton especially needs as little rugby as possible.

Faz snr will be favourite as defence coach 100%.

Uf Gatland want to have 2 coaches in areas
Farrell and Gustard would be an interesting combo.

Reckon Borthwick could be viewed as Lineout coach or something and could see Rowntree being looked at as a scrum coach IMO. Townsend and Schmidt would be class Attacking pairing.

Personally I don't like any of the Welsh assistant coaches TBH Jenkins as kicking coach would be it for me.

What are peeps thoughts on Robshaw finally getting picked for the Lions, as a 6? I think he's been really consistent this year in terms of work rate and in the last few years he's been pretty resilient against injury.

What are peeps thoughts on Robshaw finally getting picked for the Lions, as a 6? I think he's been really consistent this year in terms of work rate and in the last few years he's been pretty resilient against injury.

He has been excellent but with Stander, Peter O'Mahony, Henderson, O'Brien, Moriarty etc. All as competitors at 6, I don't see him getting in. Sadly.

He has been excellent but with Stander, Peter O'Mahony, Henderson, O'Brien, Moriarty etc. All as competitors at 6, I don't see him getting in. Sadly.

True, but POM and SOB have suffered big injuries lately and it remains to be seen whether they will return to the same level and off the treatment table for the remainder of the season. Henderson is also quite injury prone, unfortunately, because he's be my pick to play 6 with his line out and ball carrying ability.

Is Stander and Moriaty that much better than Robshaw at 6? I also like the fact that Robshaw has a real point to prove after missing out completely after the last Lions squad, has experience of captaincy, but unlikely to have the burden of the Lions captaincy. Would be a perfect candidate to lead the dirt trackers during the week.

Last edited:
True, POM and SOB have suffered big injuries lately and it remains to be seen whether they will return to the same level and off the treatment table for the remainder of the season. Henderson is also quite injury prone, unfortunately, because he's be my pick to play 6 with his line out and ball carrying ability.

Is Stander and Moriaty that much better than Robshaw at 6? I also like the fact that Robshaw has a real point to prove after missing out completely after the last Lions squad, has experience of captaincy, but unlikely to have the burden of the Lions captaincy. Would be a perfect candidate to lead the dirt trackers during the week.

Stander has been immense at 6, he's my pick to start there (only just edges out Hendo. I'm undecided as to whether I'd take him as a lock or a 6). I think Moriarty's been a bit better too. He offers more, he can carry and defend well. Robshaw's a bit of a 1 trick pony. And I'd be pretty surprised if neither SOB nor POM have found their form of the past. I'm not ruling out Robshaw, but he's got some very strong competition.

Robshaw's got a chance because he's always consistently going to hit a level that makes him worthy of consideration but there's plenty of competition and I feel some of the other guys have higher ceilings. So he mightn't go.

If we want a steady performer to be "captain" of the midweek team, Robshaw would be ideal .......... If he's in contention for the Test team, then we might as well not bother going.

Can we all have a good giggle at Barnes' suggestion during the match on Saturday that Faz will be selected at 12?

Can we all have a good giggle at Barnes' suggestion during the match on Saturday that Faz will be selected at 12?

On the face of it you're correct to giggle ........... But come the time, I can see a player getting a jersey because of his goalkicking. Depending on events over the next few months, it is very possible that would be Farrell.

On the face of it you're correct to giggle ........... But come the time, I can see a player getting a jersey because of his goalkicking. Depending on events over the next few months, it is very possible that would be Farrell.

That would require Ford to be the starter and no Halfpenny at 15 which is unlikely under Gatland. As much as I'd like him to have the summer off, Henshaw will rack up 3 tests and another 240-300 minutes of unneeded rugby this summer.

That would require Ford to be the starter and no Halfpenny at 15 which is unlikely under Gatland. As much as I'd like him to have the summer off, Henshaw will rack up 3 tests and another 240-300 minutes of unneeded rugby this summer.

True, but Halfpenny may suffer injury, loss of form, or another full back may force his way in by sheer weight of performance.

Whatever the permutations of selection, the best chance we have of beating the All Blacks is by strong defence and kicking our goals. Rather like Jenkins in 1997, it is possible that Gatland will select the best goalkicker on Tour, and find a place for him in the Test team.

I'm not saying that will definitely happen, or that Farrell will be that designated kicker; but it is (IMO) very possible.

Last edited:

I'm not a big fan of Barnes' opinions, but he may have a point that Farrell can cover 12 late in the game if required e.g. if Farrell started at 10 and Roberts/Henshaw was at 12, and Ford (Sexton having got crocked and sent home) was on the bench to cover 10.

Starting Farrell at 12 has echoes of Wilkinson starting the first test there in 2005 and Stephen Jones was chosen at 10.

Robshaw could score 60 points against the All Blacks and still not be rated by some. Its a shame because hes been one of England's most consistent players and Eddie Jones (now) rates him very highly but unfortunately there are certain arm chair selectors who will never rate him.

Robshaw could score 60 points against the All Blacks and still not be rated by some. Its a shame because hes been one of England's most consistent players and Eddie Jones (now) rates him very highly but unfortunately there are certain arm chair selectors who will never rate him.

I think Robshaw is a good solid player but there are others who offer a bit more than what he can do, I don't think he would be my starting 6 but definitely would consider taking him for the tour though.

Latest posts