• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Vodacom Bulls fears confirmed as Du Preez is ruled out

Cassie

Academy Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Bulls
Du Preez ruled out and Hougaard in doubt for Cheetahs clash!

The Vodacom Bulls scrumhalf Fourie du Preez has a grade 2 medial ligament tear which will keep him out of action for at least four to six weeks.

Team doctor Org Strauss confirmed that Du Preez is likely to miss the team’s remaining regular season fixtures.
“Fourie has a grade 2 injury to his medial ligaments on his right knee. He will be out of action for between four and six weeks and is very lucky that his knee didn’t sustain more damage. We expect him to react positively to rehabilitation and conservative treatment to the knee and to be back in action shortly.â€
Other minor injuries after the Sharks clash include Wynand Olivier (bruised elbow), Gerhard van den Heever (sore shoulder), Werner Kruger (sore neck) and Pierre Spies has a bruised hip. “We don’t expect any problems and all of them should be able to train again either Tuesday or Wednesday,†Dr Strauss said.

Really bad news from a Bulls/SA perspective hopesthis injury will be healed in time for the World Cup and that he had the necessary game time.

Last edited:
Big Blow for The Bulls; but hopefully Du Preez can get some good conditioning work under his belt and have a forced rest before Tri-Nations and World Cup. I must be Honest having The Bulls back to their Best is great as we get closer to the World Cup. Only Top Boks currently not on top form are Beast, Bismarck, Jannie and Habana. Hopefully they pick up their performances soon.

NOOOOOOOO! Just when he was starting to get back to his best as well. The Springboks seriously need him and Juan Smith fit and at their best to retain their ***le.

I was surprised he stayed on after taking the knock, he really looked knackered, thought they would be a little more precautionary with one of their top players, considering that weren't in any danger of losing the match <_<

JJR
Big Blow for The Bulls; but hopefully Du Preez can get some good conditioning work under his belt and have a forced rest before Tri-Nations and World Cup. I must be Honest having The Bulls back to their Best is great as we get closer to the World Cup. Only Top Boks currently not on top form are Beast, Bismarck, Jannie and Habana. Hopefully they pick up their performances soon.

I really hope that all our top form players can find their form back it's only a matter of peeking at the right moment and I am sure these players will peek soon.;)

stormer2010
NOOOOOOOO! Just when he was starting to get back to his best as well. The Springboks seriously need him and Juan Smith fit and at their best to retain their ***le.

On the money these are two instrumental players that will be missed if they are not fit and 100% at their best for the World Cup. The problem is to get them game time when they have recoverd from injury, as we have come to see that it is a huge deal for the players. It takes a while to get familiar with the different aspects of the game and to be at your best.

LordHope
I was surprised he stayed on after taking the knock, he really looked knackered, thought they would be a little more precautionary with one of their top players, considering that weren't in any danger of losing the match <_<

This is true wonder why Fourie went on playing when he knew it might worsen the injury and his chance to play in the World Cup. And why the Bulls coaching staff did not take him off! Really that is crazy given the situation that we already have with key members injured. All that I know is that with the brutality of the derbies we have come to see serious injuries on the SA NZ and AUS front and it won't change. The guys will play extra hard to get noticed for national colours.<O:p</O:p

Okay guys seriously, this is not such a big blow and here's why. du Preez is one of the best scrumhalves in the world WHEN HE RUNS, but at the moment he is kicking away the Bulls possession and is becoming a real attacking liability along with Morne Steyn. This is actually a blessing in disguise for the Bulls who are sure to now be alot more potent on attack with Hougaard at scrumhalf who prefers keeping ball in hand. Now, before you jump down my throat, go and watch ANY Bulls game from this year that du Preez was in. When he box kicks (which is from just about every ruck) notice what happens as a result. 99% of the time, the result is lost possession. Within that 99%, there are often scrums, penalties and even tries to the opposition. Think I'm crazy? Go back and watch and see for yourselves. The box kick is the single worst thing you can do in rugby. If du Preez was like how he was in 2007 I'd be crying my eyes out at his loss, but all he does is kicks away valuable possession and he and Morne have really put the Bulls on the back foot quite unneccacerily this season

Okay guys seriously, this is not such a big blow and here's why. du Preez is one of the best scrumhalves in the world WHEN HE RUNS, but at the moment he is kicking away the Bulls possession and is becoming a real attacking liability along with Morne Steyn. This is actually a blessing in disguise for the Bulls who are sure to now be alot more potent on attack with Hougaard at scrumhalf who prefers keeping ball in hand. Now, before you jump down my throat, go and watch ANY Bulls game from this year that du Preez was in. When he box kicks (which is from just about every ruck) notice what happens as a result. 99% of the time, the result is lost possession. Within that 99%, there are often scrums, penalties and even tries to the opposition. Think I'm crazy? Go back and watch and see for yourselves. The box kick is the single worst thing you can do in rugby. If du Preez was like how he was in 2007 I'd be crying my eyes out at his loss, but all he does is kicks away valuable possession and he and Morne have really put the Bulls on the back foot quite unneccacerily this season

You speak the truth that Fourie, Steyn and even some off the other top players was not at their best in this year's super rugby tournament, but slowly some of the key personnel did start showing signs of form. The problem is that most people would like to see them head to that directions off top form before the World Cup and be at their utmost best. With the injury upsets it takes more time to get fit into shape to play your best rugby. Fourie was amazing in 2007 and who knows he might have hit that form before the World Cup, now he needs to nurture the injury and try to get to his best with a limited amount of games remaining.

Other news is that:

Hougaard leaves Bulls ankle deep in need 24 May 2011
Scrumhalf-elect, Francois Hougaard, broke down at training on Tuesday, leaving the Vodacom Bulls in suspension ahead of their Super Rugby clash against the Cheetahs.

Hougaard limped off the training field after injuring an ankle, barely a day after Fourie du Preez was ruled out for at least four weeks due to a knee ligament strain.
"Let us wait till Wednesday when a proper assessment can be made on the injury," coach Frans Ludeke said.
"It might not be that serious." Dustin Jinka is the only fit scrumhalf in the group, with Vodacom Blue Bulls regular, Ruan Snyman, battling with a groin strain.
</O:p

This could be a problem for the Bulls they just need to remember the game the Stormers had against the Blues. This should be an upset for us as fans but the management needs to make the correct call and do what is best for the current situation.

Last edited:
Looks like Hougie passed his fitness test after sustaining an ankle injury during Tuesday's practice. Following the team announcement he will be starting Saturday's vital clash against the high flying Cheetahs.
<O:p</O:p
Vodacom Bulls team: <O:p</O:p
Zane Kirchner, Akona Ndungane, Jaco Pretorius, Wynand Olivier, Bjorn Basson, Morne Steyn, Francois Hougaard, Pierre Spies, Dewald Potgieter, Deon Stegmann, Victor Matfield(capt), Bakkies Botha, Werner Kruger, Chiliboy Ralepelle, Dean Greyling.
Replacements: Gary Botha, Rossouw de Klerk, Flip van der Merwe, Danie Rossouw, Dustin Jinka, Francois Brummer, Gerhard van den Heever.<O:p</O:p

Looks like Hougie passed his fitness test after sustaining an ankle injury during Tuesday's practice. Following the team announcement he will be starting Saturday's vital clash against the high flying Cheetahs.
Vodacom Bulls team: <O:p</O:p
Zane Kirchner, Akona Ndungane, Jaco Pretorius, Wynand Olivier, Bjorn Basson, Morne Steyn, Francois Hougaard, Pierre Spies, Dewald Potgieter, Deon Stegmann, Victor Matfield(capt), Bakkies Botha, Werner Kruger, Chiliboy Ralepelle, Dean Greyling.
Replacements: Gary Botha, Rossouw de Klerk, Flip van der Merwe, Danie Rossouw, Dustin Jinka, Francois Brummer, Gerhard van den Heever.<O:p</O:p

What a joke. The Ndungane and Kirchner selections are purely race-based, and sorry to bring it up but that's the truth. Same story with Rallepelle over Gary Botha actually. Botha is actually the best all-round hooker we have in this country, and him being dropped to the bench is a joke. One of the worst Bulls teams I've seen in a long time, hope the Cheetahs give them a damn good spanking! They deserve it! Ludeke has gone off the deep end with regards to selection! Bakkies and Steggmann in one team? Well, Ebersohn, practice your kicking this week boet, you're gonna have alot of penalty shots at goal.

Yes that is the dispute Gerhard looked the part at fullback against the Sharks although he did not actually get tested as much as I would have wanted to see. The problem is that being a benchwarmer have its negatives like not being 100% match fit come game time. Suggesting that the Cheetahs will be a force is very accurate. This Bulls team selection does not make any sense after looking at some of the player's performances. One thing is for sure that no matter who puts the rugby jumper on will be up for the challenge and hopefully a key aspect.

I do know that this is going to be a awsomerugby spectacle and an enjoyable watch. Not to mention some off the other mouth watering encounters this weekend and future fixtures for the rest of the season. This is last chance saloon for both teams who know that they have a chance for a spot in the playoffs, this will not be a game for the faint of heart.<O:p</O:p

Yes that is the dispute Gerhard looked the part at fullback against the Sharks although he did not actually get tested as much as I would have wanted to see. The problem is that being a benchwarmer have its negatives like not being 100% match fit come game time. Suggesting that the Cheetahs will be a force is very accurate. This Bulls team selection does not make any sense after looking at some of the player's performances. One thing is for sure that no matter who puts the rugby jumper on will be up for the challenge and hopefully a key aspect.

I do know that this is going to be a awsomerugby spectacle and an enjoyable watch. Not to mention some off the other mouth watering encounters this weekend and future fixtures for the rest of the season. This is last chance saloon for both teams who know that they have a chance for a spot in the playoffs, this will not be a game for the faint of heart.<O:p</O:p

Yeah, what I think the Bulls are doing is preparing to overwhelm the Cheetahs in the last 20 minutes with the bench they've chosen. It might be the right route to go as I think we are going to see the most frenetic game of the season and at altitude.

Spot on Stormer2010 that might just be the reason, the thing is and I do understand this is that many supporters out there and not just Bulls supporters have this feeling towards the team selection in general. Occasionally you can justify your selection as rotation policy but at the end it could come back to bite you in the …. I do believe this will not be the case if the plan is what I think it is going to be against the Cheetahs. The Cheetahs know the Bulls patterns and have and effective counter against it. They do believe that the approach will be slightly different and did prepare accordingly so too did the Bulls this is why it’s the correct call as this is going to be another cracker. <O:p</O:p

Yeah, what I think the Bulls are doing is preparing to overwhelm the Cheetahs in the last 20 minutes with the bench they've chosen. It might be the right route to go as I think we are going to see the most frenetic game of the season and at altitude.

Well yes that probably is why he's chosen that mostly retarded 15, but I think its stupid to do that. Seriously, the best players should start. I HATE this whole "impact off the bench" non-sense. If someone is better then someone else he should start over that person. It's simple. And when are the Bulls gonna get rid of penalty machines Bakkies and Steggmann? These guys are costing them heavily. And I swear if Morne starts up-and-undering everything I'm turning off the TV. Is it not ridiculously obvious to everyone that the poorness of the Bulls' performance always directly correlates to how often du Preez and Steyn kick possession away?

The up and unders is only a problem when the kickchasing is bad. Basson is very good at that but his positioning has been bad lately - or Steyn isnt communicating to him. Du preez's box kicks are usually perfect but with him out now it falls on Steyn to do the tactical kicking only. Hougaard cannot kick well but attacks around the fringes well. The wings will have to step up if the Bulls carry on kicking up and unders. I see Gysie said the cheetahs backs are some of the best he has seen in years. Mayeb up and unders isnt the way to play now.

Yeah the Bulls are gonna suffer if their kicking isn't accurate; with Viljoen at the back the Cheetahs have a man who can return the kick with interest but will like as not launch a counter attack and he is difficult to bring down if given space. With FdP out the Bulls are going to play some rugby to win this one IMO and back their strike runners off of clean quick ball; question is whether the Cheetahs forwards will allow that to happen.

Utilizing the up and under correctly and with pin point accuracy brining in players like Basson and Kirchner can be an affective option. That is why we have different supporters the Sharks do bring a more expansive game to the rest and when they execute it right they too are a dangerous unit. Look I am not all for the uppies but if the players execute the kicks correctly and the necessary measurements are applied then it doesn't matter. What the Bulls did though was mixing it up a little in latter games which seemed to be working. This debate has been going on for years now and it will go on for decades to come, I believe that the Bulls are working towards what is needed.

The up and unders is only a problem when the kickchasing is bad. Basson is very good at that but his positioning has been bad lately - or Steyn isnt communicating to him. Du preez's box kicks are usually perfect but with him out now it falls on Steyn to do the tactical kicking only. Hougaard cannot kick well but attacks around the fringes well. The wings will have to step up if the Bulls carry on kicking up and unders. I see Gysie said the cheetahs backs are some of the best he has seen in years. Mayeb up and unders isnt the way to play now.

Okay, prove your statement by watching any Bulls game and pointing out a box kick that provided something good for the Bulls. No matter how you kick a box kick, you are losing possession. So stop with this completely unfounded reputation of FDP being the perfect kicker! He is a LIABILITY!

And you're basically saying it's the wings that are at fault for the up and under not being good... do you not maybe think it would be better to just not do it? Look at the top teams in the competition: The Blues, the Reds and the Crusaders. All RUNNING teams. The laws favour running now, rugby is a running game. You need to keep possession when you have it. Box kicks and up and unders need to stop, no matter who is kicking them and no matter who the wings are.

Firstly. I am not bulls so i dont wants to defend it. I am only saying that they probably play it becose it was such a good tactic for the Bokke 2 years ago. Kick-chase was effective because FDP and Steyn were accurate and guys likes Habana would put pressure with guys like Brussow turniong over the poor oke catching the up and under. The same combinations for the boks that won us the Tri nations that way with kicking was in the Bulle. Spies/FDP/Steyn/Habana. When the lineouts came the Bakkies and Matfield would outjump everyone and we still get possession. So i think the Bulls maybe are still behind in the times as they are trying the same thing all this time now still. Excelent team like the Sharks adapt and try new things (especially bringign in new players from other unions not so progressing).

I agree posessoin is now the thing. powerful packs to retain it and drive it. Kicking it away and applying pressure is stupid against good team. Like I said the cheetah is a fast back three and they kick-return good. If Bulle persist in trying kicking they will have to be accurate.

Firstly. I am not bulls so i dont wants to defend it. I am only saying that they probably play it becose it was such a good tactic for the Bokke 2 years ago. Kick-chase was effective because FDP and Steyn were accurate and guys likes Habana would put pressure with guys like Brussow turniong over the poor oke catching the up and under. The same combinations for the boks that won us the Tri nations that way with kicking was in the Bulle. Spies/FDP/Steyn/Habana. When the lineouts came the Bakkies and Matfield would outjump everyone and we still get possession. So i think the Bulls maybe are still behind in the times as they are trying the same thing all this time now still. Excelent team like the Sharks adapt and try new things (especially bringign in new players from other unions not so progressing).

I agree posessoin is now the thing. powerful packs to retain it and drive it. Kicking it away and applying pressure is stupid against good team. Like I said the cheetah is a fast back three and they kick-return good. If Bulle persist in trying kicking they will have to be accurate.

Yeah actually dead right about the Bulls there hey

Latest posts