• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales Rugby World Cup 2011 thread

Bevington was pretty solid today.

I can see why Bennett is there.

Squad picked is a good one to be honest.

Why is Bennett there? To make our other players look better?
Bevington's scrummaging improved, but I would not put him ahead of Paul James for the other loosehead.

Bevington was pretty solid today.

I can see why Bennett is there.

Squad picked is a good one to be honest.

Bevington got outplayed in the scrums by two very high quality tightheads today, I wouldn't say he was solid

Do you mean to say the Wales team at the minute is good, by saying it is a good one?

Because we are rubbish at the moment I'm afraid

or do you mean it's the best from what we've got available?

Bevington's scrummaging improved, but I would not put him ahead of Paul James for the other loosehead.

I think you've made your point about Bennett :lol:

Give Bennett his due, he clears a lot of crap up meaning he clears up untidy pal and works hard in the tight, granted everything else is crap he still clears up which Gatland seems to like. Bevington is raw and is deffo behind James.

Bevington got outplayed in the scrums by two very high quality tightheads today, I wouldn't say he was solid

Do you mean to say the Wales team at the minute is good, by saying it is a good one?

Because we are rubbish at the moment I'm afraid

or do you mean it's the best from what we've got available?

I think you've made your point about Bennett :lol:

He was solid enough, Hayman got the better of him at times but not always the case, James got a ticking over from Iestyn mind.

About the team ... do you even read what I said? I said squad and not team therefore referring to the WC Prelim squad selected ... lord give me strength with you.

Last edited:
I thought Bennet was alright - lineout throwing a side
Got a couple of turnovers, if I remember correctly, and got involved well at the rucks and securing loose ball

However he does need to work on his throwing, as that's more important really

That's a good looking squad I think. This squad will be trimmed down by a further 15 for the WC, so there's every chance that the likes of Bennett and Jonathan Thomas won't make it. Regarding Bennett though, who else would be there ahead of him? Gareth Williams has been a bit pants and Rhys Thomas has seen no gametime this side of Christmas (injured). Ken Owens is injured, and the rest are untested.

Great to see Delve has made it, giving him a chance to stake a genuine claim.

As far as Paul James goes, not great, but he is a loosehead playing tighthead.
Bennett might be decent in the loose, but what is the point of a hooker that cannot throw in?

Burns will be a decent player if he can learn the laws properly. Great to see a Cross Keys lad representing Wales!

Great to see Delve has made it, giving him a chance to stake a genuine claim.

Completely missed that, it is indeed brilliant news - on top form with the Rebels, even the anti-NH brigade can't help but praise him

Hopefully JT won't see the 8 shirt again with Faletau and Delve in the mix

Completely missed that, it is indeed brilliant news - on top form with the Rebels, even the anti-NH brigade can't help but praise him

Hopefully JT won't see the 8 shirt again with Faletau and Delve in the mix

Yep, fantastic news. Should be our starting eight. We have room for both Gareth and Toby in our squad if we only take three Second Rows (Ryan covering as fourth)

I hope to god that both Faletau and Delve go and Powell and Jon Thomas are left at home. Ryan Jones can then go as a blindside / second row.

A few surprise calls in the provisional squad. Glad to see that Delve is given a chance, along with Falatau (who thoroughly deserves his place after a great performance yesterday). Henson's inclusion really highlights the fact that Gatland and co really want him to find form (which i do as well :D :D). I can see him playing 12 is the majority of the warm up games, with Roberts and Davies changing at 13 every game. Would be interesting to see if Tupuric gets any game time. Really has been ace 2nd half of the season, but back row combo i thought worked well vs the Ba Baa's, so i can see them having more game time as an unit. I think Shane should be given time to fully recover, which he should have had by august i hope. We need a proper full back to "cover" Byrne, still don't believe Stoddard is defensively sound enough to be an international full back. Ah well, 2 month wait now till we see another international...... grrrrrr

Richard Hibbard out for ~10 weeks after shoulder surgery.
Could miss the World Cup. Huw better get his ticket :(

Balls. Probably means we'll be seeing Bennett on the bench now. Great! Explains why Hibbard wasn't involved against the Baabaa's aswell.

Balls. Probably means we'll be seeing Bennett on the bench now. Great! Explains why Hibbard wasn't involved against the Baabaa's aswell.

Lloyd Burns if he learns the laws.
I'd rather see TRT or Steve Jones head down over Bennett.
Ken Owens could be given a shot. Just back from injury but still, it takes Huw out of the picture.

Lets hope Gatland picks a genuine squad to challenge at the WC not his favourites.

Latest posts