• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wanderers vs NSW Tahs

B

Bullitt

Well, I'll be there for Northampton Wanderers (Northampton RFC 2nd XV) vs the Tahs on the 2nd, and I'm sure a few of the SH boys will be interested to hear about the pummeling the Ozzie tourists will pick up.

Any discussion here.

Young 'Tahs to fly in for Wanderers test

Will_Caldwellcrop.jpg

The Wanderers will play against some of the Australia and Super 14 stars of the future when the NSW Waratahs development side plays at Franklin's Gardens on Monday, October 2 - KO 7.30pm.

The Wanderers will field a strong side with a blend of experienced first team squad members and Academy players.

The rest of the first team squad will be in Heroes bar ahead of the game to sign autographs.

Entry to this fixture will be free to season ticket holders and just £5 to adults, £3 concessions and £2 juniors.

It's annoying, I was quite interested in going to this but I'm going to Uni the day before.

Any news of possible teams for either side or is it too early?

Kick of in a couple of hours. For those interested, I'll try and post some sort of report tonight (provided I'm not blind drunk!)

Four-try Wanderers overcome Waratahs

Teamtalkcrop.jpg

39.gif
2002_Waratahs_&_HSBC_logo_-_stacked_thumbnail_image.jpg

The Wanderers returned to form this evening in a four-try victory over the touring New South Wales Development Team. Damien Browne scored his first try of the season, and there were club debuts for new signing Vaughan Going and James Cannon, son of Vince.

WANDERERS 24

NSW WARATAHS DEVELOPMENT 6

Friendly

Franklin's Gardens

Monday, October 2, 2006

New South Wales brought with them some of the cream of up and coming Australian rugby stars, and throughout the first half the visitors had parity across much of the paddock against a strong Wanderers side that featured new signing Vaughan Going at fullback.

The Waratahs' defence held out for long periods, they showed glimpses of typical Australian flair and were competitive at the breakdown. And with two Lachlan Turner penalties in the opening quarter the tourists had a six-nil advantage.

However, the powerful Wanderers' pack had a significant edge in the tight, and in the 25th minute they secured the match's opening try. A pair of five-metre scrums disintegrated as they trundled at pace towards the Waratahs' line, and from the second break-up referee Richard Draper awarded a penalty try.

Johnny Howard had his conversion attempt charged down, but made no mistake from the touchline three minutes later, again with a two-point kick. It added the extras to a spectacular try scored by Seamus Mallon, set up by Adam Barnard in a flowing backline move.

The half-time score was 12-six to the hosts, but within five minutes of the restart both sides could have had tries. Firstly New South Wales were denied by Will Caldwell's pass to Josh Weeks being ruled forward, then Rob Laird was narrowly beaten to a hacked-on ball by Nigel Staniforth.

Wanderers' third try came in the 56th minute from Howard, who nipped over by the sticks after yet another disruptive scrum. The skipper also converted to make the score 19-six and effectively end the contest.

Nevertheless, the match remained competitive, and on several occasions the Wanderers defence had to be strong to repel New South Wales attacks.

They did so, and through smart handling by centre pairing Mallon and Barnard Damien Browne raced in from the 22-metre line to score his first try of the season and round off a solid evening for the Wanderers.

Teams:
Wanderers - Going; Laird (Myler 54mins), Mallon, Barnard, Brake (Harries 64mins); Lavery (Vass 25mins), Howard (capt); Tonga'huia, Richmond (Ripol 70mins), Budgen (Beech 75mins), Gerard (Hoy 46mins), Browne, Rae, Easter (Cannon 76mins), Hopley (Hopley 40mins).

NSW Waratahs Development - Staniforth (Halangahu 70mins); McCabe, Weeks, Harris, Turner; Norton-Knight, Sivert; Fainga'anuku (Adams 50mins), Mann-Rae (Manning 70mins), Broughton-Rouse, Caldwell (capt), Wykes, Mackay, Haydon (Robinson 68mins), Afu (Fardy 52mins).

Scorers:
Wanderers - Tries: Penalty, Mallon, Howard, Browne; Cons: Howard (2).

NSW Waratahs Development - Pens: Turner (2).

TIMELINE:
13mins NSW Pen Turner 0-3
16mins NSW Pen Turner 0-6
25mins WAND Try Penalty 5-6
28mins WAND Try Mallon Con Howard 12-6
HALF-TIME Wanderers 12 NSW 6
56mins WAND Try and Con Howard 19-6
73mins WAND Try Browne 24-6
FULL-TIME Wanderers 24 NSW 6

http://www.northamptonsaints.co.uk/32_3899.php
------------------------------------------------------------------

Pointless writing my own, but one point; Turner for the Tahs is a damn fine kicker.

NSW Waratahs Development - Staniforth (Halangahu 70mins); McCabe, Weeks, Harris, Turner; Norton-Knight, Sivert; Fainga'anuku (Adams 50mins), Mann-Rae (Manning 70mins), Broughton-Rouse, Caldwell (capt), Wykes, Mackay, Haydon (Robinson 68mins), Afu (Fardy 52mins).

[/b]

Who the fark are they?

Is Nigel Staniforth Scott's brother? if so, is he any good?

Latest posts