• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wannenburg reveals drug problem

B

Bullitt

Bulls flank Pedrie Wannenburg has revealed that he now undergoes weekly drugs tests after being caught using cocaine and ecstasy.

In an interview with Finesse maganzine, the 20-Test-cap former Springbok has revealed how a video taken in a night club showing him using drugs was sent to the Blue Bulls Rugby Union and nearly cost him his career.

Wannenburg speaks of how he used cocaine, ecstasy and abused alcohol until the video, and his mother finding a straw with which he snorted cocaine in his bedroom, led Wannenburg to reconsider his lifestyle when Bulls coach Frans Ludeke warned him to "find something else to do."

He is now tested by the Bulls' team doctor on a weekly basis for alcohol abuse and drugs.

Wannenburg, who like former Bulls star Joost van der Westhuizen has been in the tabloid headlines on a number of occasions in recent years, told the Beeld newspaper that it is best to be honest - "no matter how difficult it is".

"It is, and remains, difficult to talk in public about deeds you are ashamed of," he said.

"I'm grateful for the people that are standing by me and supporting me. This motivates me to work hard at being the old Pedrie of which I can be proud," he said.

"I often drank myself into a stupor but I was always with other people. It's probably easy for others to label me an alcoholic, but I'm not addicted.

"The cocaine and ecstasy goes hand in hand with the drinking. If you drink too much and the drugs are there, then you give into temptation.

"It did not happen every day - just at parties for some added energy. After a while alcohol simply does not give you the same kick. You need something extra."

He said he had tried to stop on a number of occasions.

"I am human. I wanted to, but could not get myself focused the first time. When I did not get what I wanted ... I turned to alcohol and drugs."

In other news from the Bulls camp, Springboks Bakkies Botha, Chiliboy Ralepelle and Akona Ndungane will miss the opening rounds of the Super 14.

Botha is still in a plaster cast after severely injuring his Achilles tendon on the Springboks' year-end tour. Ralepelle is recovering from foot surgery.

The Bulls start their campaign on Friday 12 February away to the Cheetahs,

Bok centre Wynand Olivier is in the final stages of rehab for a knee injury and will be fit within the next fortnight. There are no other serious injury concerns in the camp.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3...5852482,00.html

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Jan 11 2010, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Bath's new signing perhaps.

Couldn't resist that one[/b]
Bath only create drug addicts. Bristol are the team that take known drug addicts into their bosom ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Jan 11 2010, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Jan 11 2010, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bath's new signing perhaps.

Couldn't resist that one[/b]
Bath only create drug addicts. Bristol are the team that take known drug addicts into their bosom ;)
[/b][/quote]

Touche

EDIT: Actually that shows our capacity to forgive and not cast out. Moral High Ground FTW

He's a great loose forward, would be in most countries national teams' plans. He seems quite casual in the way speaks about it, hopefully he gets help.

No problem with him using drugs as a person. But as a rugby player he should think that he has a duty to his career, which revolves around his body, and he should be careful what he puts into it. Deserving of a fine for unprofessional behaviour.

Latest posts