• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Warne set to retire

A

An Tarbh

Originally posted by BBC Sport
Shane Warne is being tipped to announce his retirement on Thursday from international cricket.
According to reports in Australia, the 37-year-old leg-spinner will walk away from top-level cricket after the fifth Ashes Test, to work in television.

Warne is one wicket away from becoming the first bowler in Test history to claim 700 wickets, with the fourth Test starting on 26 December.

TV station Channel Nine says Warne will hold a press conference on Thursday.

Cricket Australia says it does not have any plans for a Warne press conference, but Warne has worked part-time for Channel Nine in the past, and the TV channel says the legendary spinner will announce his retirement.

"There is nothing we can say," said Cricket Australia spokesman Peter Young.

Young, referring to Warne and the fast bowler Glenn McGrath, added: "Those two players are the masters of their own destiny and the owners of their own futures and when they announce decisions on their futures is up to them."

Warne said in his column in Sydney's Daily Telegraph on Wednesday that he had no plans to quit.

But the Sydney Morning Herald claimed he was retiring to become a television commentator and the Daily Telegraph subsequently carried the retirement reports on its website.

Warne's Hampshire team-mate Shaun Udal said he had not heard from the Australian great but hoped the retirement would only be from the international game.

"If this is true, I would love to see him finish the next two or three years with Hampshire," said Udal.

"But I'm sure Warnie will go out in his own inimitable style."

The fourth Ashes Test takes place on Warne's home turf, the Melbourne Cricket Ground, and is expected to break the previous attendance records of 90,800 for a single day and 350,354 for the whole match.

Spinner Warne, who was named one of Wisden's five cricketers of the century in 2000, became the first ever bowler to reach 600 wickets during the 2005 Ashes series.

He has 25 more Test scalps than his nearest rival, Sri Lanka's Muttiah Muralitharan, although he has played 33 more games. Aussie team-mate Glenn McGrath is next in line with 555.

Will be interesting to see how true this is considering Richie Benaud told him during the last Ashes that he saw no reason why he couldn't play until the 2009 Ashes, and Warne's reaction was pretty much well if Richie thinks that then I'd better give it some serious thought.

I would hope that working in television means commentating on cricket though and not some cheesy reality show or chat show.

it will be interesting to see if this is indeed true. warne seems to be in good nick at the moment and I would think he would of had a few years left in him yet. I would assume if it was tv work it would be commentating because isn't richie benaud retiring or something? if so then there would be a bit of a shake up and an open spot for someone and warne would fit in somewhere.

A few things to note

1. Richie Benaud was to retire from commentating in the late 90's...Shane Warnes ability kept Richie in the box to this day, and Richie wont be retiring until Warne does

2. Warne is 100% calling a press conference today

3. The World Cup is around the corner

4. Warne was seen with Hungry Jacks (Burger King) last night

5. Warnes highest score is 99.....the highest score in cricket history for a player never go get 100

6. Murali will trounce 700 wickets in due time

Its either a retirement or a hand up for World Cup selection

IMO he should not retire....he is on top of his game, he could get 800 wickets.

Hopefully its a world cup hand up...........but the media down here are a one way street and all and proclaiming its his retirement announcement.

I thinks its a poor decision......McGrath should go but Warne is a spinner, has years left in him....Richie Benuad knows best....Warne spent a year out of the game on diaretics, he should have 1000 TEST wickets.........but who knows what goes on socially behind the scenes.....we have all seen Warne shock the world in good n bad ways.......this one could be another bad shock to us all

I will cry on that last day if any of this **** is true!!!

I kinda have a negative hope, that he never makes 700 now.....just to keep him going for another year...he would never retire overseas unless it was the 2009 Ashes....but we all know unless he snaps his arm he'll make 715 wickets before the Ashes is over

I know listening to the press conference on radiosport now. can't believe it is actually true and the great shane warne is gone.

Oh well, he's got another two tests to get that two hundred....

I think it is probably better for him now, going out on his own terms. Could you imagine Warney reaching his limits in a few years and getting kicked out? That would be an insult to the bloke who is probably the best cricketer ever - certainly bowler.

He had already made it clear that he wasn't going to play ODI's ever again, so it sems good to be going out on top: winning the Ashes, getting 700 wickets, hopefully 100.... etc.

I think he's right to do it on his terms, it doesn't take away from Warne that Murali will surpass his wickets total, they're both phenomenons, he's doing it on his terms and doesn't face the embarassment of being dropped after hanging on too long.

The comparisons between Warne and Murali are quite interesting, they seem to be dissing Murali big time saying he's taken a far greater percentage of his wickets against the smaller test playing nations and if you take out those 2 sides than Warne has 150 more wickets than Murali but they forget to mention the fact that Warne has also played 50 more tests against the top sides than Murali.

I'm not saying make a choice saying who is better but this dismissal of Murali's record seems a trifle strange imo.

or you can take the quote from an Indian great - Indians know best, its their religion

quote unquote from great Indian spinner Bishen Singh Bedi

"no legitimate bowler will ever manage taking 700 Test wickets"

that'll do me

Um, so Warney is going to snap his arm or something then?? That's right you've heard it from GOD's mouth!!

What do you mean, Laxative? That doesn't make sense.

(Oh wait, just got it. Hilarious)

If id have known this was gonna happen last week i would have mobbed some backpacker for his WACA tickets :wall:

Cricket will suck without the great man around :(

Thanks for the memories Warney

Warney>>>>>>>>>>>>>Muttiah's flat..... anyone who says otherwise :ar15firing5de:

The cricketing world will certainly miss Warney- a true legend of the game if ever I saw one for myself. Got to be the best bowler in the world-ever. In fact, I`d rank him right up there with Gary Sobers as the 2nd-greatest cricketer of all time after Bradman.

Sure, in time Murali will surpass Warne`s records- in fact Murali is already speaking about cutting down on ODI`s and getting to 1000 Test wickets. But the concerns over the legitimacy of Murali`s actions will forever be a blot on his copybook IMO. All that being said, except for Warne and Murali, nobody`s got 600, never mind 700+ test wickets, so that also speaks volumes for Murali too.

IMO he should not retire....he is on top of his game, he could get 800 wickets.

[/b]

He may have gotten 800 wickets but saying he is at the top of his game is ridiculous... i'm sure that you remember the 'gatting ball' which he bowled in the mid 90's.. observe the dip he generated with that ball and look at his wickets per year ratio... he's still a very good bowler but i reckon Murali has had the edge on him in recent years

my bloody flatmate decides to watch smallville and than on UKTV+2 - the 2 hour delayed he decides to watch Nip f***!!!!!!!!

i know i'll catch it eventually

To be honost waking up to see Shane Warne on TV everyday and in the tabloids every minute when he has retired is starting to bug me

Would be good to see him coach spin though....perhaps can keep the deadart cranking in generations to come

UK-TV will be doing re-runs of it all month

Apparantly according to Foxtel ratings - it was the highest audience that channel has received in australia - thus let the re-runs begin!!!!

Latest posts