• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wasps to Coventry: Your Views

CovCookie

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Hello everyone. My name is Liam Cook. I'm a Sports Radio Presenter from Coventry. I'm sure you're aware of London Wasps purchasing 50% of The Ricoh Arena. This has major implications for both Wasps and Coventry City FC fans. As part of my radio show, I'd love to hear your opinions on this matter. Please be aware your opinion could be read out on air so if you don't want your comment mentioned on the show, please say so. I wish the very best for London Wasps and their fans at this difficult time. As a Coventry City fan, I know all about taking a club away from the city where it belongs. Thanks again guys!

Well good luck to Coventry if they have to play football on a rugby field ! We've had this sort of problem down here in France. Our rugby stadiums are not big enough for Big matches of top 14 and sometimes, our major rugby clubs rent football stadium just for a single match. What a disaster if the football match takes place just the day after rugby !!! It's like playing on a potatoe field as we froggies say !
I can remember a France foortball match taking place just the day after a France rugby match ! It was quite funny ! We should really had played kick and rush rather than short pass that day !
Coventry will have to pay a real attention to the Premiership schedule ! And employ top level gardeners if they want to go back to Championship !

I don't think that will be a problem since we currently share with a football side and we play on sundays, after Wycombe have played on saturdays. I expect it would be the same in Coventry.

It's a typical example of how rugby clubs think only to business and don't care about fans and original rugby values anymore

Last edited:
I'm interested in the Rugby pitch size at RICOH Arena. Is there enough space for 120m*70m pitch?

Believe me, theres plenty of that in football. You think your owners are bad? Try putting up with SISU

Im not too certain on the size of the pitch but its pretty big. The quality of the surface is impeccable too. Before we went to Northampton for a season, the pitch at the Ricoh was the best in the Football League. Its gonna take some time to get it back up to spec after a year of non-usage, but once its back to normal, you'll be impressed. If any pitch can take Football and Rugby in a weekend, its the Ricoh

Last edited by a moderator:
Well good luck to Coventry if they have to play football on a rugby field ! We've had this sort of problem down here in France. Our rugby stadiums are not big enough for Big matches of top 14 and sometimes, our major rugby clubs rent football stadium just for a single match. What a disaster if the football match takes place just the day after rugby !!! It's like playing on a potatoe field as we froggies say !
I can remember a France foortball match taking place just the day after a France rugby match ! It was quite funny ! We should really had played kick and rush rather than short pass that day !
Coventry will have to pay a real attention to the Premiership schedule ! And employ top level gardeners if they want to go back to Championship !

Loads of rugby teams ground share with football sides without many (if any) pitch problems?
Ospreys - Swansea City FC, London Irish - Reading FC, Bristol RFC - Bristol FC (also previously with Bristol Rovers) to name a few?

I'm interested in the Rugby pitch size at RICOH Arena. Is there enough space for 120m*70m pitch?

*sigh*
How many times do we need to tell you, yes.
Top flight rugby has been played there already, including Heineken Cup and EDF Anglo-Welsh Cup (back when it kind of meant something) semi finals.

The quality of pitches where they get sunlight and air has improved drastically over the last decade. Shame Cardiff and Murrayfield have not got it sorted!!!

As Henry said, the Wasps board is the best place for this but I'll say this as a general rugby and sports fan -

Good luck to Coventry RFC and I hope they meet 'Wasps' coming the other way. ^_^

The quality of pitches where they get sunlight and air has improved drastically over the last decade. Shame Cardiff and Murrayfield have not got it sorted!!!
Sunlight in Scotland:rolleyes:
Anyway the pitch at Murrayfield has been replaced with a new hybrid pitch that should have sorted the problems caused by the ringworms that had infested it.

Well in South Africa this is not really a problem. After the 2010 FIFA World Cup, 3 of the newly built stadiums have been regularly used for both Rugby and Football games. The Mbombela stadium is the home stadium of the Steval Pumas who plays in the Currie Cup, and is also home of the Mpumalanga Black Aces Football team. The EP Kings, who was part of last year's Super Rugby tournament used the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium in Port Elizabeth as their home ground, and is using it this year in the Currie Cup too, while it's also used for Football games. And then of course there is the Soccer City Stadium that hosted the FIFA WC final, where SA and the All Blacks played 2 years ago.

Then you have Loftus Versfeld and Ellis Park. Both rugby stadiums who hosted games in the 1995 RWC and home of the Bulls and Lions. They use those stadiums almost every week for both rugby and soccer.

It shouldn't really be a big debate.

Well in South Africa this is not really a problem. After the 2010 FIFA World Cup, 3 of the newly built stadiums have been regularly used for both Rugby and Football games. The Mbombela stadium is the home stadium of the Steval Pumas who plays in the Currie Cup, and is also home of the Mpumalanga Black Aces Football team. The EP Kings, who was part of last year's Super Rugby tournament used the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium in Port Elizabeth as their home ground, and is using it this year in the Currie Cup too, while it's also used for Football games. And then of course there is the Soccer City Stadium that hosted the FIFA WC final, where SA and the All Blacks played 2 years ago.

Then you have Loftus Versfeld and Ellis Park. Both rugby stadiums who hosted games in the 1995 RWC and home of the Bulls and Lions. They use those stadiums almost every week for both rugby and soccer.

It shouldn't really be a big debate.

The size of the pitch isnt a real debate. Its more like what it means for the fans. Wasps will have to travel over 70 miles each way just to watch their team. Away games will be closer for them

The size of the pitch isnt a real debate. Its more like what it means for the fans. Wasps will have to travel over 70 miles each way just to watch their team. Away games will be closer for them

I have to drive 280 km to get to the nearest stadium. And we don't have a subway system or a reliable public transport system. If a fan wants to go and watch, he'll make a plan.

People in first world countries should be less lazy

I have to drive 280 km to get to the nearest stadium. And we don't have a subway system or a reliable public transport system. If a fan wants to go and watch, he'll make a plan.

People in first world countries should be less lazy

Does put things into perspective a bit - although not quite the same thing.

Heineken, how you feel if four weeks into the next Super XV season, without saying a word to the fans, the Bulls announced that they'd had a far better commercial offer to play in Kimberley instead of Pretoria and would be moving there in a month?

I feel that is a comparable hypothetical scenario.

Wow... such ignorance.

Ohh snap, the ignorance card. Soon someone will call someone else arrogant, and sh*t will really hit the fan.

I think he was making the point tongue in cheek, that it's a small price to pay compared to some fans around the world. Not sure how it's ignorant (perhaps a little unsympathetic).

I was wondering - anyone know if there is going to be any re-branding happening at Wasps? They can't very well keep calling themselves London Wasps can they?

They dropped the London fairly recently - start of the season maybe, or maybe during the season before that.

Latest posts