Wasps v Quins: Dubai?

Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...m-interest-in-staging-LV-Cup-game-abroad.html

London Wasps confirm interest in staging LV= Cup game abroad

Wasps have confirmed they are exploring the possibility of playing their LV= Cup match against Harlequins next month in Abu Dhabi.

varndell_1782006b.jpg

Exposure: Wasps are eager to take the step into the overseas market Photo: GETTY IMAGES
Negotiations have been ongoing between the two clubs and the Rugby Football Union, who must approve any proposed switch of venue for the Jan 30 fixture of the Anglo-Welsh competition.

All parties appear to be behind the ground-breaking move, including the tournament sponsors and broadcasters (Sky Sports), with a decision expected in the next couple of weeks.

"The club are looking into plans around this fixture but at this stage nothing is set in stone," said a Wasps spokesman. "The club are in consultation with the RFU, LV and Harlequins and are always keen to find ways to be innovative and extend the footprint of the club, whilst promoting the sport, but at this time nothing is agreed."

Harlequins, who confirmed on Thursday night that talks have been on-going but insisted it was solely a matter for Wasps, have strong links with Abu Dhabi through their ***le sponsor, Etihad, the flag carrier of the United Arab Emirates, who are likely to back the venture.
The RFU meanwhile said supported the proposal in principle, as long as health and safety and tournament regulations, such as the quality of playing surface, were met.
"We believe this is a positive innovation and an opportunity to spread the game around the world," said an RFU spokesman.
"The success of the Dubai Sevens last week has given people confidence that the game would be a sell-out."

------------------------------------------

lol

That would be really cool. Good way to get the Middle East more involved in Rugby.

Also a good way to say "**** you" you everyone who's forked out for a season ticket.

I'm sure season ticket holders would be compensated for missing this meaningless tie. If it gets Wasps and Quins bucketloads of cash and increased press, then it's a good move. If New Zealand and Australia can play a Bledisloe Cup game in Hong Kong, there's no problem with a pointless LV= Cup game being played in Abu Dhabi.

This is retarded. I probably wouldn't go to this game if it was on 2 minutes down the road from me and I got in for free. If you're going to try and sell rugby to the world, at least give them decent games.

Well, if it happens in Abu Dhabi then it's got nothing to do with Dubai...

anyway, not a bad idea. The LV cup is pointless, a spectator isn't missing out on any scintillating high class rugby.

Meanwhile, there's no rugby of any description in the UAE besides the 7s. Could be a good oppurtunity for all the expats to watch a game. Not that it'll do anything for the expansion of rugby globally, seeing as the majority of people in the UAE are maltreated and under/ not at all paid workers from the subcontinent who definitely won't go to a rugby match. The Arabs won't be interested either, meaning the expats will go, and most of them will like/ know about rugby already.

I live in Dubai and in reply to the previous comment there is a lot of rugby here, we even had the U20 world cup here two years ago. There are also now a few local only teams, so the comment about arab's not being intrested is false although yes many of the players in the league here re expats and the national team is almost entirely made up of expats. I for one would obviously love the game here despite the fact i support Exeter Chiefs. It would hopefully be a good game of rugby with the dry conditions here and bring something different from the wet weather rugby we currently see in the LV.

I say fair play on this move. If there is 1 thing I envy from Soccer it the competition etc. I want to have 50 teams or so in rugby eventually at international level that are capable of turning others over. I know rugby still evolving in professional era but these are steps we have to take.

Wasps v Quins set for Abu Dhabi

Abu Dhabi: Wasps and Quins

London Wasps and Harlequins have confirmed they will break new ground by staging their forthcoming LV= Cup fixture in Abu Dhabi.

The rivals will become the first English clubs to stage a competitive match outside of the country.
The match, nominally a home fixture for Wasps, will be played under floodlights in a specially constructed 5,000 capacity stadium at the Emirates Palace hotel.
Wasps board director Lawrence Dallaglio said: "To be the first club to take a competitive game of rugby overseas really reflects Wasps desire to be innovative and try new things.
"We want to ensure that Wasps has a long term future and it is steps like this that strengthen the club and develop a global brand.
"We know that there will be some disappointment for those fans that cannot travel, but we know our supporters want long term success and stability and one-off opportunities like these can only help build our profile, appeal and reach."
The match will be broadcast live on Sky Sports and Wasps are hoping to appease season-ticket holders who now cannot attend the game by staging an open day with players later in the year.
Wasps owener Steve Hayes and Dallaglio came up with the idea after visiting the region last year as part of their research into stadium development.
Wasps and Harlequins have both already enjoyed success in engaging new supporters by attracting big crowds to club matches at Twickenham.
Harlequins' Big Game 3 against London Irish on December 27 drew a crowd of 74,212 and both clubs are keen to build on that with this landmark initiative
A club statement added: "Eager to push the boundaries, Wasps, in partnership with Harlequins and the LV= Cup tournament, take the first steps to promote rugby to a new overseas market by playing a competitive game abroad."
Rugby is not the first sport to embrace the concept of engaging new markets by staging fixtures abroad.
The NFL have staged regular-season games at Wembley Stadium for the last three years and the NBA are to follow suite, with games arranged for London in March.
But there was a negative reaction when the Barclays Premier League proposed plans to play an additional round of league fixtures in different cities around the world.
Both sides will be without their current England stars with the Six Nations beginning the following weekend.
Harlequins won their first two LV= Cup fixtures, against Leicester and Newcastle, and currently top Pool Four of the Anglo-Welsh competition.
Wasps opened their campaign with a defeat to Exeter but bounced back with an 18-16 victory over Bath.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_6635497,00.html

Confirmed

Nothing quite like playing rugby for 80 minutes in one of the hottest cities in the world.

Without their England players they're not going to draw in many of the casual-rugby-supporting-expats out there

Presuming the saxons are unavailable too
Shaw, Payne, Waldouck, Flutey, care, easter, robshaw, marler, monye, simpson
Andy Powell may be off with Wales as well

edit: Dan Ward-Smith is a wasp as well isn't he? Chances are Worsely will be involved too

Just the names people will recognise from the internationals/are likely to bring in more punters who only watch them

Care and Flutey aside, which of those are going to be involved in England during the 6N?

Theres a chance they'll be in the EPS, or the Saxons (presuming the Saxons have a game around that time)

Not really keen keen on paying such a sum as you can have the same game in the UK for a cheaper price.
PS. Last time I was there, 2007, they didn't allow me to purchase or consume alcohol.

I think its a smart move by Wasps and Quins. They've got nothing to lose and if it isn't a success then thats that but if it is then they will be the first 2 clubs to tap-in and exploit a yet undiscovered market so to speak. Think about it I'm assuming Rugby isn't widely followed round those parts so by being the first 2 teams to play over there then Wasps and Quins are going to gain many fans and perhaps begin to establish a base of fans in Dubai and nearby areas. I'm sure just like if you were to ask a group of people who their favourite football team is the answer will probably be Manchester United/Chelsea. I think Wasps and Harlequins will have this kind of thing in mind, hoping to make themselves known in that part of the world

Latest posts