• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wayne Smith retires after 20 years service with the All Blacks.

Ground We Won

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Wayne has been integral and I'm really sad to see him go. An absolute legend and crucial member of the All Blacks management team. He's going to be sorely missed. I was hoping he would stay on until after 2019, but not to be.

Never one for the lime light, even though he's been definitely one of the most crucial cogs in this unbelievable machine. Incredible coach and person, with a lot of integrity and genius of the game.

Big thanks to Wayne Smith and all the best, you're a legend mate!
You can be assured I've got enough for the next few months but I don't want to get to the point where it becomes a drag..

"I see it as a win-win. It's a win for me and my family to step away a wee bit. But I think it will be a win for the All Blacks too. It's a chance to get one of these great young coaches we've got coming through to add a bit of freshness and hunger."

http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/al...-to-finish-after-20-years-with-the-all-blacks

One of the great love affairs of New Zealand sport is coming to an end. Wayne Smith is finally ready to call time on a remarkable 20-year relationship with the All Blacks team he still adores with all his heart.

Yes, "the Professor" is about to lock away his secret formulae and hand his defence clipboard on to a new appointment who will be identified in coming weeks. The 60-year-old rugby treasure will be succeeded, but never replaced. Not after 20 years building the intellectual property, drive and passion that has become an intrinsic part of making the All Blacks one of world sport's most successful and recognised properties.

Smith on Friday announced he would be finishing up as an assistant coach with Steve Hansen's All Blacks at the end of the Rugby Championship, and spoke exclusively to Stuff about his reasons for walking away now, halfway to a possible unprecedented hat-trick of World Cup ***les.

Last edited:
Interesting to see who will replace him - potentially the next All Blacks coach (though I would be surprised if Ian Smith isn't given the job).

I wonder if some of our overseas based coaches have out clauses for international jobs. Rennie?

Interesting to see who will replace him - potentially the next All Blacks coach (though I would be surprised if Ian Smith isn't given the job).

I wonder if some of our overseas based coaches have out clauses for international jobs. Rennie?

If I had to pick a new AB's coach right now, it'd definitely be Joe Schmidt. Him and Foster have to be favourites.

Cotter is a realistic option and I'd like to see Scott Robertson as a future assistant.

What a great servant of NZ rugby. He's right up there with the greatest coaches we've ever had. In terms of who'll replace him, that is an interesting one.... no one really stands out, but there are a lot of contenders...

what a legend! and what a loss to NZ rugby.. .well for a while atleast...

Latest posts