• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wayne Smith to return to All Black coaching staff

Brilliant! Funny how he may be the defense coach when I'd say he is probably the best attacks coach in the world. Still, very pleasing. Any coaching setup which has Foster more in the background than the forefront is alright with me.

Brilliant! Funny how he may be the defense coach when I'd say he is probably the best attacks coach in the world. Still, very pleasing. Any coaching setup which has Foster more in the background than the forefront is alright with me.

Yep, it makes me feel a bit better for sure - it does say that he'll be responsible for counter attack (as well as defense) though, so perhaps we can see some more innovation from turnovers etc, and more emphasis on winning the breakdowns too

The AB coaches have to almost be the jack of all trades these days. Ever since the shuffling of responsibilities that happened under Henry, you have to be pretty adaptable which Smith definitely is. I think one year Henry made himself defence coach and the ABs didn't concede a try on the entire end of year tour? I agree with you fellas though, if we can alleviate Foster's influence then that's surely a good thing. Great guy but never was sold on his coaching impact.

I think most international teams should be frightened. Where other coaches look to consolidate what resources they have, Hansen looks to have looked at this last International Season and said "We can make them better in year prior to the World Cup, Let's bring some backup"

lol hear hear!! i've been saying this for years

lol poor fossy

Great move. Not overstating his Smiths influence but he will bring a large chunk of the 20% improvement Hansen is talking about. Agree with sentiment on Foster; I always thought he was a bit of a journeyman coach.

Latest posts