• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Westies vs. Nordies - The "Oh **** we don't want to play in the Amlin" Interpro

After picking up Botha, Pienaar and Muller maybe Ulster should focuss on Ryan Kankowski as their next Natal Shark to move to Belfast ;) It's sad to see Muller not starting. This will only be my 4th match of Ulster I am going to watch and I am very curious to see how they do without Muller

We already have three 8s in the squad, next back-rower we buy in would have to be a 7... and two of the 8s are South African!

Preview from today's Irish Times:

ON ONE of those wild, wild nights in the west, three-quarters empty and the pitch ringed by a dog track, the Sportsground can look a grim place. But it's a mighty venue when a clear day gives way to an Atlantic sunset and it's jammed to the rafters for an "interpro".

Not only Ulster will be grateful the forecast is set reasonably fair. In latter times the Sportsground boasts one of the best pitches in the league and, with an increased emphasis on scoring tries, Connacht have ceased doing rain dances. Given referee Alain Rolland is also in town, there should be no excuses for either side.

In truth, Connacht have enjoyed better "interpro" nights against Leinster and Munster in recent times, whereas Ulster have won the last eight meetings, their average winning margin 21 points.

It must be a mental/fear thing. Connacht fans and supporters alike dip into a siege mentality when hosting Leinster and Munster, whereas the league table targets Ulster and puts the pressure on to win. As Ulster are just as mindful of the latter threat, invariably their heads are set right and not complacent.

This season, Ulster seem even better equipped for this latest sortie to Galway. The arrival of Johann Muller alone underlines that. Curiously however, the Springboks lock has been omitted from the match-day 23, along with compatriot Robbie Diack, as coach Brian McLaughlin has "opted to rotate some of the pack".

This has been partially offset by Rory Best returning to the starting line-up to captain the side.

Recent signings Tim Barker and Pedrie Wannenburg are also recalled, while Dan Tuohy returns from injury to join BJ Botha and co on the bench. Another curious choice is Paddy Wallace at outhalf "as part of Ireland's Rugby World Cup player management programme", with Niall O'Connor moving to the bench.

By contrast, Eric Elwood seeks to continue the feel-good factor around the Sportsground by retaining the same starting line-up which ended their two-year winless away run in the league. The only change in the 23 sees Darragh Fanning promoted for Tiernan O'Halloran.

Recent history favours Ulster.

Tight game. 15 all with 3 minutes to go. It's that weird state of game where it's both dull and exciting.

Strange game and I think Connacht were robbed.

Rolland was rubbish, and did know how to ref the scrum. Kept on penalising Connacht for binding when Ulster 3 was binding on Connacht 1's arm.

Trimble should have got a red. Two blatant tacklse in the air and constantly talking kick chasers out off the ball.

Was impressed by Keatley, Wallace, Duffy (at times) and Best were good.

And Dunc has it spot on. Boring and exciting at the same time.

That lot in the BBC NI studio are a gormless bunch aye!

It was a strange sort of a game from which neother side will be entirely happy.

Starting with the home team, they didn't create very much, were marginally second best in the scrum and failed to capitalise on Andrew Trimble's sin binning. On the other hand, they defended very well, were secure in the lineout and came out of the game injury free.

Ulster should be happy enough with 2 points considering they started with a centre playing flyhalf and were missing their talisman in the second row. Against that, Stephen Ferris proved once again that he's made of glass and BJ Botha's injry must also be a worry with the Heineken Cup just around the corner.

From an Ireland perspective, Sean Cronin appears to be the national team's best hooker. Neither Fionn Carr nor Andrew Trimble stood out. Tom Court and Jamie Hagan had a great ding dong battle in the second half. Ian Keatley came through under pressure and is becoming a very fine player. Paddy Wallace is definitely a centre. Frank Murphy is the least bad Irish scrum half.

I think a dra is a fair result. I also agree that Trimble should have been given a red card. The only reason Trimble and Carr didn't stand out was because neither teams were spreading the ball out to the wings. I think Hagan was solid, Wallace was good at centre (If he had started there Ulster may have had more linebreaks), Keatley has alto of potential and is controlling the game well, Connachts defensive and phsyicallity was great. Elwood seems to be doing well. Ulster need to pick them selves up and take out the positives as 2 points away from home is a good result. Hopefully Ferris is OK.

I personally thought Trimble and Carr looked good when they got their chances, just weren't many except for Trimble's attempts to be the Caldwell of the wing...

Speaking of Caldwell, great match! We all knew Muller was good, but an out and out brain surgeon? Wow!

Murphy, Keatley and Duffy all deserve praise for Connacht. Wallace handled being fly-half well enough, although he ideally needs a full-back to step in when a really big boot is required. Young looks in serious trouble most of these days.

Ulster sent an understrength, rotated team to a fired up Connacht and got a draw. Plenty of teams will fail to do that and better teams than us will get beaten there. I'll take that and suppress memories of that poorly managed drop-goal attempt.

I enjoyed the match even though both teams played no risk rugby. One big disadvantage Connacht have is their squad. Ulster brought on alot of fresh players while Connacht hadn't much choice despite the game being physically demanding.

Both teams won't be too disappointed with 2pts. Most teams will find it tough going to Galway.

Speaking of Caldwell, great match! We all knew Muller was good, but an out and out brain surgeon? Wow!

Lol nice one! :D Caldwell looks to be a good athlete so hopefully for him he'll have a good season.