• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What are the Squad Names for each country?

Dizzy

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
Just curious,.. Like we have the NZ All Blacks, Australian Wallabies, South African Springboks,
What are the other countries squads called?

USA Eagles

That's pretty much it, I think

A few have nicknames, like Russia are the bears, Canada the maple leafs, France les bleus, Italy the azzuri, but none (other than USA) have full on "brand names" like the Wallabies/All Blacks/Springboks - that I'm aware of anyhow

I thought so, But was never so sure because I have heard the nicknames over the years, just have never been certain,

List of nicknames

Canada - Maple Leafs/ Canucks
Georgia - Lelos
Tonga - Sea Eagles
USA - Eagles
Italy - Azzuri
Romania - Oaks
Russia - Bears
Namibia - Welwitschias/Biltongboere
Japan - (Brave) Blossoms
Samoa - Manu Samoa
Argentina - Pumas
Fiji - Flying Fijians
Uruguay - Los Teros
Portugal - Os Lobos (Wolves)

The 'A' teams of several countries have names though, e.g:
England Saxons
Ireland Wolfhounds
Argentina Jaguars

I've heard Wales called 'the Dragons' by pundits before, never by a welsh person though.

Emerging Springboks...that one always makes me laugh. It sounds as though somebody's giving birth!

Ive heard them being called the Dragons as well, but still uncertain, have also heard the French being called The Frogs! lol... surely not!..

New Zealand Maori
New Zealand A are actually called the Junior All Blacks. A player that has played for the NZ Maori lay still be eligible to play for another union, whereas the junior AB (who are not age based) are like the Saxons and the like.

Pumas is pretty much a brand too. In spanish you never hear about the Argentina National rugby team, or that Argentina is playing England; they are always referred to as Pumas. I think that the Oaks (or 'Stejari' according to google translate) are pretty official too.

Last edited:
I've heard Ireland called the Shamrocks once and the Shams a few times retarded.

Oh I dunno, Sham certainly sums up Ireland sometimes. See RWC 2007
An artist's impression of bristol-iain:
gtzIy.jpg

Scotland are sometimes called the Bravehearts by pundits.