• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What are you listening to?

New Nas album was decent. Doubt there's many hip hop heads in here though.

**** all that trance rubbish. This takes me back

I can't say I've kept up with recent stuff. Kendrick is what kept me interested and DAMN. was what 2017? I liked some of Chance's stuff around then and picked up a few songs off Pablo too. Lil Wayne, Eminem and 50 cent before that. Yesterday's HT show was fairly awesome!

Can't say I like much of the current crop. Have a bit of Jack Harlow on my playlists but can't think of anyone else.

I can't say I've kept up with recent stuff. Kendrick is what kept me interested and DAMN. was what 2017? I liked some of Chance's stuff around then and picked up a few songs off Pablo too. Lil Wayne, Eminem and 50 cent before that. Yesterday's HT show was fairly awesome!

Can't say I like much of the current crop. Have a bit of Jack Harlow on my playlists but can't think of anyone else.
You're a young whippersnapper (I assume) so you didn't have the pleasure of growing up in the golden era but I tend to agree with what you're saying re the current crop. Though there's still lots of great hip hop made today (underground) if you know where to look.

Lots of good UK stuff as well. Not really my cup of tea (though I like a lot of their lyrics) but Akala and Lowkey are popular amongst the "conscious" hip hop fans.

Akala - Shakespeare was the biggest tune in sixth form
Ha ha. You're a few years younger than me. When I was a kid it was all about Chester P and Jehst from a UK perspective. I'm not a massive fan of Akalas music but I like the dude and when he does more boom bap stuff I like it.

Gotten really into Architects recently, some serious riffs in their repertoire

Josh Middleton (current guitarist for Architects) is the founding member of Sylosis, a band synonymous with serious fking riffs (best albums: Edge of the Earth, Monolith and Dormant Heart). The only reason I can think for him to be in this band is a more substantial paycheck.

Same goes for Jeff Loomis who is currently playing with Arch Enemy (you mentioned them a little earlier). Killed it with his former band Nevermore (if the vocals don't irritate), has two brilliant solo albums and released a juggernaut of an album with the supergroup Conquering Dystopia. Three outlets, three platters of pretty sumptuous riffs and outrageous leads (albeit with a slight overreliance on diminished scales - it was ever thus . . .)

Welcome surprise to find others listening to heavier music.

Loomis is one of my all time favourite guitarists - him joining Arch Enemy is what actually got me into them properly (before then I'd just heard Nemesis on Kerrang back in the day)

Loomis is one of my all time favourite guitarists - him joining Arch Enemy is what actually got me into them properly (before then I'd just heard Nemesis on Kerrang back in the day)
Kerrang. Those were the days . . . Headbangers Ball too. You had to stay up late in to the night to catch a glimpse of anything good or extreme on TV.

In a perverse sort of way, I miss it a little. As a teen, I used to get such a sense of electrification and excitement upon finding something new, usually at a time when I was not supposed to be awake, let alone downstairs. The threat of parental hidings made it even more thrilling.

But the accessibility today is good in its own way.

Latest posts