• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What are you listening to?

1713470940063.png

Guitar legend Dickey Betts has died at age 80. May he rest in peace.

Last edited:
Can someone explain something to me about vinyl?

I get why people like the physical version of things, but from what I can gather most vinyls made now just contain the MP3s and are not created the same way the older ones were. Basically, they're CDs but bigger?

Can someone explain something to me about vinyl?

I get why people like the physical version of things, but from what I can gather most vinyls made now just contain the MP3s and are not created the same way the older ones were. Basically, they're CDs but bigger?
Makes me feel better about myself.

Yeah, I view them more as collectibles/a way to actually give money to bands for the music I enjoy
I do all my actual listening through Spotify, who pay the artists pennies. If I really love an album, or band, I'd rather buy a vinyl than a CD because I'm not gonna listen to either so might as well get the one that's more of a thing - vinyls look cooler and can be displayed better

Sad to say I am old enough to remember vinyls. My first record was Black Box's ride on time. 🤣 . Something special about putting that needle onto the vinyl record, hearing that crackle and the music start to play. Not been matched since.

Viynl gives more money back to bands. I've found it's a good way to get codes for gigs if you really want to go see the band. Which i got and saw with the Arctic Monkeys viynl. With the Blur and Wolf Alice viynl i got some pretty cool signed stuff.

Viynl is great for making you listen to an entire album as the artists intended. Streaming most people skip songs and very rarely listen to stuff in it's entirety.

Yeah, I view them more as collectibles/a way to actually give money to bands for the music I enjoy
I do all my actual listening through Spotify, who pay the artists pennies. If I really love an album, or band, I'd rather buy a vinyl than a CD because I'm not gonna listen to either so might as well get the one that's more of a thing - vinyls look cooler and can be displayed better
I use Spotify, but yeah...it's good for discovery but that's basically it. I prefer to buy the CD or mp3 (if that's all that's available) as they actually get money and with CD/MP3 you have a lot more flexibility with how you can use them.

Streaming media is good, but it's got it's downsides. Feel like it's sort of made a lot media very passable and we've lost the "event" feel from a band or film etc being released.

Also it's a good way for me to compartmentalize bands. Like there's probably less than 10 bands I'd buy an album for but I almost certainly do it day 1.

I don't even have my record player plugged in right now though.

Definitely been trying to listen to albums in totality more though. New vaccines and vampire weekend have been good.

I do want to get a record player and start collecting.

I reckon I could pick up a few Springsteens, Van Morrisons, Waterboys among a few others second hand to experience that original sound and have a cool shelf.

I've spent money to see all the above live so wouldn't feel too guilty not contributing in this way. If it was someone a bit smaller like the Gaslight Anthem I'd try though.

Latest posts