• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What are you listening to?

This is The Ever After, a band founded in New York who is now based in Montreal. They've just released a new EP ("Eh Voilà!"). The first single is "Tirage au sort", a song entirely in french and here it is:

Cool, try these:

And So I Watch You From Afar: ASIWYFA

Explosions in the Sky: Take Care, Take Care, Take Care

This Will Destroy You: S/T

The first one is quite heavy/shreddy guitar stuff, the latter two are quite mellow and closer to Mogwai. Enjoy, and let me know what you think
I've been listening to ASIWYFA, thanks for the recommendation.

Not my usual sound but I really really like it. Messing around with time signatures and dynamics, all good fun.

I've been listening to ASIWYFA, thanks for the recommendation.

Not my usual sound but I really really like it. Messing around with time signatures and dynamics, all good fun.

Cool, glad you're enjoying it. The Letters EP is well worth a listen too

Heilung, they are a folk band who sings in proto germanic. Here is their tribute to the god Odin

They are immensely talented and awesome!

There was a special show with Shane MacGowan and a few other pogues on Irish telly last night. What a band, Shane is one of the best lyricists of all time.

Not my favourite, that'd be a pair of brown eyes, but here's his best:

Pogues are a great band, Sally MacLennane is my favourite.

I went to see them live years ago, Shane was an absolute state but it was a great show

I went to see them live years ago, Shane was an absolute state but it was a great show
Great song! Never got so see them live, a bit before my time, some of the stories my dad and uncles tell of their gigs in the 80s sound mental though, real punks.

Aye it was very much a cash grab when I saw them, think it was about 2007, (December tour culminating in Fairytale with fake snow coming down from the ceiling) - but fun non-the-less

There was a special show with Shane MacGowan and a few other pogues on Irish telly last night. What a band, Shane is one of the best lyricists of all time.

Not my favourite, that'd be a pair of brown eyes, but here's his best:

Pair of brown eyes is one of my least favourites personally. My faves are Fairytale (obvs), If I Should Fall and Broad Majestic Shannon. Also got a soft spot for the drunk beer-tray wielding lunacy of Waxie's Dargle. Just so many bangers though, great great band.

Interesting that you're a fan Alpha - I find them quite divisive among Irish people because let's be honest The Pogues are really not very Irish! Ive met Irish people who feel about them the same way Jamaicans feel about UB40, which is legit.

Seen them twice, Shane is always an absolute state. First time 10 years ago it didn't matter because he smashed it. Second time about 5 years ago he was an embarrassment to be honest, Forgetting words, incoherent even by his own standards, miles away from anything resembling a melody, out of time, out of key, just awful. Accepting he's never going to give up the booze, I felt at the time it's probably about time he gave up performing though.

Great song! Never got so see them live, a bit before my time, some of the stories my dad and uncles tell of their gigs in the 80s sound mental though, real punks.
Shane's first brush with fame was when he featured in the front page of a tabloid after getting his ear slashed with a razor at a gig (possibly The Clash from memory?)
Aye it was very much a cash grab when I saw them, think it was about 2007, (December tour culminating in Fairytale with fake snow coming down from the ceiling) - but fun non-the-less
Might have been the same gig as me, Brixton Academy?

Interesting that you're a fan Alpha - I find them quite divisive among Irish people because let's be honest The Pogues are really not very Irish! Ive met Irish people who feel about them the same way Jamaicans feel about UB40, which is legit.
My Dad's a huge fan, he grew up in Northampton, the way he describes it is that at a time where there was a lot of hatred towards the Irish and a bit of shame their message was **** that, we're Irish, what are you going to do about it?! And a lot of English loved the music which only made things better.

I'd probably be the biggest fan among my friends but I haven't met anyone who rejects them as Irish, obviously they are an English-Irish band and Shane is the most Irish of them despite growing up and living in England most his life but that was the norm for a large portion of his generation of Irish people whether it was the UK, US or Australia. Their story and message definitely resonates with me though, I can't relate personally as I was born in Ireland and have lived here all my life but despite having totally Irish blood my siblings and I were the first on both sides of my family to be born in Irish ruled Ireland! It's why I don't really joke about the yank who's dog's third cousin was Irish claiming to be Irish because I've met many people who have only ever had the opportunity to visit Ireland who are better versed in our history, cultures and sometimes even our language, and have done more for the country from their other home, than people who have no family outside the free state counties. It works both ways but being forced out of a country definitely brings a lot of people closer to their roots than they ever would have been at home and the pogues' music and Shane MacGowan epitomise that!

Long answer there but you gave me the opportunity to talk about a very niche topic that I'm passionate about! :p

Shane "sang" fairytale of New York to finish the show last night and he missed cues and was really dreadful outside the first verse. A shame what he did to himself and it's definitely past the time he stopped performing.

Might have been the same gig as me, Brixton Academy?
Nah, Birmingham NEC or NIA (can't remember which but remember thinking it was a surprisingly big gig - and me and my mates were the youngest there by about 3 decades).
Support was the saw doctors,
Green and red of Mayo is a tune

Nah, Birmingham NEC or NIA (can't remember which but remember thinking it was a surprisingly big gig - and me and my mates were the youngest there by about 3 decades).
Support was the saw doctors,
Green and red of Mayo is a tune

Spoken like a man who's never met someone from Mayo!

I love N17 and Joyce Country Ceili band!

Latest posts