• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What book are you currently reading?

The Jesus You May Not Know by Dr. David Jeremiah

Awesome book!

Dune

After seeing the trailer i thought i should finally get around to it

The Peaceful Valley Crime Wave by Bill Pronzini

A crime spree hits a small Montana town in 1915, and the Sheriff is overwhelmed seeing how his town hasn't had any real crime in a decade. And now they're swamped.

I just finished a book called The Last Child by John Hart. It's a very sad but compelling true crime story. I don't want to give the plot away, so read it yourself. It's great.

I have just finished 'The Loneliness of the Black Republican' by Leah Wright Rigueur, as I take an interest in American politics. Perhaps disappointingly (as it was published in 2016), it doesn't take us up to the Trump era but goes from FDR's New Deal to the election of Ronald Reagan. Despite the ***le, it shows that there were quite a few Black Republicans in the mid-C20, including the liberal Republican Senator Edward W. Brooke (Massachusetts), of whom I had not heard but who contributed a lot to the Civil Rights movement from a moderate perspective.
Beyond the race and Civil Rights issue, the book showed that the Republicans were once a party where moderates and humanitarians could feel at home - before the rise of the 'religious right' and the current extreme form of populism.

I've finished "La Terre des morts" by Jean-Christophe Grangé and am currently reading his "Kaïken". Brilliant as usual, I love this writer. Also plan to read one more time his "Blood red rivers".
Can't fall asleep after it,can highly recommend to those who like thrillers (for example a film adaptation of "Blood red rivers": "Crimson rivers")

I'm currently reading the latest book by John Grisham. It's called A Time For Mercy, and I do believe by the time I'm finished it will be his best one yet, IMHO. :cool:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jake Brigance is back! The hero of A Time to Kill, one of the most popular novels of our time, returns in a courtroom drama that showcases #1 New York Times bestselling author John Grisham at the height of his storytelling powers.

Clanton, Mississippi. 1990. Jake Brigance finds himself embroiled in a deeply divisive trial when the court appoints him attorney for Drew Gamble, a timid sixteen-year-old boy accused of murdering a local deputy. Many in Clanton want a swift trial and the death penalty, but Brigance digs in and discovers that there is more to the story than meets the eye. Jake's fierce commitment to saving Drew from the gas chamber puts his career, his financial security, and the safety of his family on the line.
In what may be the most personal and accomplished legal thriller of John Grisham's storied career, we deepen our acquaintance with the iconic Southern town of Clanton and the vivid cast of characters that so many readers know and cherish. The result is a richly rewarding novel that is both timely and timeless, full of wit, drama, and--most of all--heart.
Bursting with all the courthouse scheming, small-town intrigue, and stunning plot twists that have become the hallmarks of the master of the legal thriller, A Time for Mercy is John Grisham's most powerful courtroom drama yet.
There is a time to kill and a time for justice. Now comes A Time for Mercy.

1613809735235.png

I'm currently reading the latest book by John Grisham. It's called A Time For Mercy, and I do believe by the time I'm finished it will be his best one yet, IMHO. :cool:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jake Brigance is back! The hero of A Time to Kill, one of the most popular novels of our time, returns in a courtroom drama that showcases #1 New York Times bestselling author John Grisham at the height of his storytelling powers.

Clanton, Mississippi. 1990. Jake Brigance finds himself embroiled in a deeply divisive trial when the court appoints him attorney for Drew Gamble, a timid sixteen-year-old boy accused of murdering a local deputy. Many in Clanton want a swift trial and the death penalty, but Brigance digs in and discovers that there is more to the story than meets the eye. Jake's fierce commitment to saving Drew from the gas chamber puts his career, his financial security, and the safety of his family on the line.
In what may be the most personal and accomplished legal thriller of John Grisham's storied career, we deepen our acquaintance with the iconic Southern town of Clanton and the vivid cast of characters that so many readers know and cherish. The result is a richly rewarding novel that is both timely and timeless, full of wit, drama, and--most of all--heart.
Bursting with all the courthouse scheming, small-town intrigue, and stunning plot twists that have become the hallmarks of the master of the legal thriller, A Time for Mercy is John Grisham's most powerful courtroom drama yet.
There is a time to kill and a time for justice. Now comes A Time for Mercy.

View attachment 9365
This sounds pretty damned good! It's topical, as well, with the death penalty in many states of the US being increasingly challenged and debated. I have read a lot of Michael Connelly but have to confess to not having read a John Grisham, which I admit is a serious oversight. Any advice about which novel would be the best starter?

This sounds pretty damned good! It's topical, as well, with the death penalty in many states of the US being increasingly challenged and debated. I have read a lot of Michael Connelly but have to confess to not having read a John Grisham, which I admit is a serious oversight. Any advice about which novel would be the best starter?
I've read all of John Grisham's books (except the Theodore Boone series, they're for kids) and I like them all. Start anywhere, you can't go wrong! https://www.jgrisham.com/

Last edited:
I'm still reading Dan Jones the templars, although I'm struggling with time to read now that I don't get the train in to work everyday. Love the book though.

I'm a big fan of Grisham, he's best known for "The Firm", "Pelican Brief" and "The Client" most of his books are standalone and he's mostly known for lawyer based novels

In all honesty just read them in chronological order and see how he develops as a writer

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Grisham

Personally I love his book "A Painted House" nothing to do with law, but the perspective of a 10 year old boy in the cotton fields in the 50's

Also a decent read "Playing for Pizza" a pansy American football player in italy

I'm a big fan of Grisham, he's best known for "The Firm", "Pelican Brief" and "The Client" most of his books are standalone and he's mostly known for lawyer based novels

In all honesty just read them in chronological order and see how he develops as a writer

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Grisham

Personally I love his book "A Painted House" nothing to do with law, but the perspective of a 10 year old boy in the cotton fields in the 50's

Also a decent read "Playing for Pizza" a pansy American football player in italy
These two ***les sound interesting: my spring and summer reading list lengthens. ...

I've read all 6 books (so far) in this series and The Breaker, the latest one is my favorite. The Peter Ash character keeps getting better & better. Kudos to author Nick Petrie.

1619606666399.png

I'm finally going to get round to reading " what a flanker" by Hask. Has anyone read it? Any good?

Dirty South , John Connelly enjoy the Charlie Parker character.
Quite dark reading but keeps you page turning.

I have bought the new Michael Connelly novel but at the moment I'm on non-fiction, 'The Philippines: A Singular and a Plural Place', by David Joel Steinberg. This is because I am learning the Tagalog language and so I wanted to get an overview of the culture and history of the country. The book is rich in detail (although only 270 pages) and depicts a complex, intricate culture with competing and overlapping Hispanic, Chinese (including 'Chinese Mestizo') and American influences, as well as a pervasive indigenous culture beneath the surface despite a strong and powerful Catholic Church. Very interesting and helps me to understand the language, which has many Spanish loan words (although they have different spellings and often slightly different meanings!).

Latest posts