• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What can WR do about Red Cards ruining games for the fans?

I'm with Rennie on this one and can see someone going home from the RWC purely because a red was issued when it shouldnt have been or because a ref bottles it and issues a yellow. Disappointed the 20min red has been binned and I'm very pro player safety. I'd have made it an orange card for 20mins and you can't come back on. With a straight red being the same as ever but only for outrageous misconduct.

And fair play to Jasper Wiese for acting upon it.

I think the rules need to be harsher but not go back to what they were. There is too much of a gulf between a yellow and a red guven it can be millimeter or milliseconds that differentiate them.

My view is the behaviour is only going to stop if coaching of tackle technique changes. At the moment it's not worth it for a coach to coach differently because if your team stops making the types of dominant tackles or clearing of jacklers that risk accidental foul play, then you lose, simple as that. Therefore the on field sanctions need to be harsher.

And People won't complain about cards ruining the game if they become more normal and even across teams.

So, any contact by head, arm, or shoulder to head is a 20 minute red card.

Bring in the black card for deliberate offences.

More generally they should attempt to remove subjectivity too, eg unsuccessful intercept that results in a knock on is automatic yellow. For scrum advantage any player in the attacking team can hold the ball over their head within the next two phases to signal they don't want the advantage, otherwise they've effectively decided to take it; same for penalty except they get 5 phases to decide. Every three penalties for same offence is a yellow. Every five penalties generally is a yellow.

I need to do more thinking on the solution for preventing dangerous clean outs in jacklers

Last edited:
unsuccessful intercept that results in a knock on is automatic yellow.
can i ask why?...we already have a "punishment" for this...the scrum resulting from the knock on...we really want people in the bin just for trying to get an intercept and failing?...do we really think allowing the other team the chance to kick points straight away and then have 10 mins of player advantage for a "knock on"

as ive said before i agree with the idea of removing subjectivity...but would go the other way and just use the tool we already have.

can i ask why?...we already have a "punishment" for this...the scrum resulting from the knock on...we really want people in the bin just for trying to get an intercept and failing?...do we really think allowing the other team the chance to kick points straight away and then have 10 mins of player advantage for a "knock on"

as ive said before i agree with the idea of removing subjectivity...but would go the other way and just use the tool we already have.
Yeah, not too bothered about the rule, just wanted to remove subjectivity . Perhaps automatic penalty is better. Yellow is too harsh on reflection but I think a scrum isn't harsh enough for a deliberate knock down. Point being that there is too much subjectivity in trying to differentiate between a deliberate knock down, a "didn't have a realistic chance of catching it" and a fumble where they did have a realistic chance

Yeah, not too bothered about the rule, just wanted to remove subjectivity . Perhaps automatic penalty is better. Yellow is too harsh on reflection but I think a scrum isn't harsh enough for a deliberate knock down. Point being that there is too much subjectivity in trying to differentiate between a deliberate knock down, a "didn't have a realistic chance of catching it" and a fumble where they did have a realistic chance
There are quite a few rules that i dont want to be subjective but this one i think is done quite well. This one has to be a little subjective IMO.
Because if a player genuinly goes for it almost catches it and fumbles it then gets a pen against him it will stop players going for it.

Leading with 1 hand, hitting downwards yellow card, just not being close enough then yes pen but getting 2 hands on the ball the fumbling or it bouncing off 2 hands that should have caught it then Scrum(or bring in 'tap and go free kick' if you want to speed up the game)

Ive heard interviews with refs where they say the rules are written to give the refs the decision based on what they see and not rigid lawes. Its a fine line tbh.

Part of the problem with rules and laws in general is that there are always exceptions. The solution is to either have more and more laws to try and cover every possible scenario or accept that there will be some subjectivity and trust the judgement of the officials.

Tbh I think those who want less subjectivity and controversy are barking up the wrong tree. You will always have that with more or less rules. What the aim should be and what players want is consistency. That way while you may disagree with the ref, at least you know it's still fair for both sides.

Part of the problem with rules and laws in general is that there are always exceptions. The solution is to either have more and more laws to try and cover every possible scenario or accept that there will be some subjectivity and trust the judgement of the officials.

Tbh I think those who want less subjectivity and controversy are barking up the wrong tree. You will always have that with more or less rules. What the aim should be and what players want is consistency. That way while you may disagree with the ref, at least you know it's still fair for both sides.
or...and i know im in the minority...just let more things go

re the "deliberate knock down"...you're allowed to try and intercept....and there is already a punishment for if you stuff up and knock it on. all the subjectivity comes from us wanting to punish people more....so if we want to remove subjectivity then remove trying to establish if the player had a realistic chance to regathering, rather than introducing more rules and subjectivity...try and get the attacking team to pass it a micro second earlier

or...and i know im in the minority...just let more things go

re the "deliberate knock down"...you're allowed to try and intercept....and there is already a punishment for if you stuff up and knock it on. all the subjectivity comes from us wanting to punish people more....so if we want to remove subjectivity then remove trying to establish if the player had a realistic chance to regathering, rather than introducing more rules and subjectivity...try and get the attacking team to pass it a micro second earlier
So what do you do about those players who stick their hand out with no hope of ever regathering it and stop an attacking opportunity? Pass earlier, well then that just gives the defenders time to readjust and tackle. The whole point of carrying to the defensive line is to commit defenders. That becomes pointless if defenders can either wait as they know you will pass earlier or can just stick their hand out to stop an attack. It would spoil the game.

So what do you do about those players who stick their hand out with no hope of ever regathering it and stop an attacking opportunity? Pass earlier, well then that just gives the defenders time to readjust and tackle. The whole point of carrying to the defensive line is to commit defenders. That becomes pointless if defenders can either wait as they know you will pass earlier or can just stick their hand out to stop an attack. It would spoil the game.
I honestly don't care about those people and think penalties and cards are a bigger blight on the flow of the game that instances like that

I honestly don't care about those people and think penalties and cards are a bigger blight on the flow of the game that instances like that
I think you'd change your mind quickly when the game constantly stops for scrums from cynical play where players just slap the ball down to stop an attack knowing they only give away a scrum.

I think you'd change your mind quickly when the game constantly stops for scrums from cynical play where players just slap the ball down to stop an attack knowing they only give away a scrum.
….they already do…that's what's the problem was…and i was a hooker so I'm cool with scrums, I consider them a much more acceptable part of rugby than penalties and cards…plus I believe attack teams will just get better, a more positive change than penalties

….they already do…that's what's the problem was…and i was a hooker so I'm cool with scrums, I consider them a much more acceptable part of rugby than penalties and cards…plus I believe attack teams will just get better, a more positive change than penalties
Well then maybe SH refs need to enforce the rules better if in Super Rugby players are always slapping the ball down and it's just a scrum. In the premiership the refs and TMO are getting better so time isn't wasted. Often the ref is accepting the TMO's judgement and only needs to review if it's not clear.

Well then maybe SH refs need to enforce the rules better if in Super Rugby players are always slapping the ball down and it's just a scrum. In the premiership the refs and TMO are getting better so time isn't wasted. Often the ref is accepting the TMO's judgement and only needs to review if it's not clear.
no, i mean they're already having brain explosions and knocking it down...and getting carded and penalised...which is having an impact on the game and not stopping them doing it...so its kind of "whats the point"

am i the only one that get tired of trying to explain this stuff to non rugby people?

"whats that for?"
"he knocked it on"
"isn't that a scrum? you said a scrum was for knocking it on"
"he was going for an intercept"
"he's not allowed to try and intercept it?
"...he is....but this time he knocked it on try to do it"
"hows that different?"
"the ref has made a decision on his intent and a judgment call on how likely he was to successfully intercept...."
".....im going to go get a beer and watch something else...."

no, i mean they're already having brain explosions and knocking it down...and getting carded and penalised...which is having an impact on the game and not stopping them doing it...so its kind of "whats the point"

am i the only one that get tired of trying to explain this stuff to non rugby people?

"whats that for?"
"he knocked it on"
"hows that different?"
"the ref has made a decision on his intent and a judgment call on how likely he was to successfully intercept...."
Similar to the reason ive always said football would always be bigger than rugby.

I small group of kids can throw down 4 jumpers to make the goals and play football without knowing the rules... the same isnt for rugby.

Yet on the deliberate knock on i still think youd constantly get players flying out the line with 1 hand knowing there is no punishment for knocking it on even if it stops try that would be scored.

'Pass it earlier then' well no because theyd go for the tackle also swinging the arm aiming for the pass incoming.

So pass it earlier... then the space is closed up.

"whats that for?"
"he knocked it on"
"hows that different?"
Yeah the intentional knock-down rule is one of the worst. They don't seem to have an issue with failed intercepts in the NRL...

"whats that for?"
"he knocked it on"
"hows that different?"
Who are you explaining rugby to?

Watching rugby with my dad who was 58 the first time he saw a match.

Dad: "whys that a penalty instead of a scrum?"
Me: "if a defender isn't in a reasonable position to catch the ball it's a penalty. Can also be a yellow card"
Dad: "gotcha, what makes it a yellow card"
Me: "if they think it's cynical"
Dad : "is a yellow card like in soccer"
Me: "it's more like hockey, off for two minutes in sevens (which we were watching). It's ten in 15s"

Yeah the intentional knock-down rule is one of the worst. They don't seem to have an issue with failed intercepts in the NRL...
There's also an artificial gap the size of the Tasman between the attacking line and defense on every play. Don't really need to worry about the defender being in your grill on the pass.

Who are you explaining rugby to?

Watching rugby with my dad who was 58 the first time he saw a match.

Dad: "whys that a penalty instead of a scrum?"
Me: "if a defender isn't in a reasonable position to catch the ball it's a penalty. Can also be a yellow card"
Dad: "gotcha, what makes it a yellow card"
Me: "if they think it's cynical"
Dad : "is a yellow card like in soccer"
Me: "it's more like hockey, off for two minutes in sevens (which we were watching). It's ten in 15s"
currently lots of aussies, but previously in the UK with football friends, League and AFL are much more free flowing
Similar to the reason ive always said football would always be bigger than rugby.

I small group of kids can throw down 4 jumpers to make the goals and play football without knowing the rules... the same isnt for rugby.

Yet on the deliberate knock on i still think youd constantly get players flying out the line with 1 hand knowing there is no punishment for knocking it on even if it stops try that would be scored.

'Pass it earlier then' well no because theyd go for the tackle also swinging the arm aiming for the pass incoming.

So pass it earlier... then the space is closed up.
and i think when they fly up and miss...theyre buggered and the attacking team is in, or if the attacking team has a dominant scrum then they can launch form that...no one will be thanking that guy then

the thing that gets me...when we played at school at lunch we did just stick to the real basics like you described for football, pass backwards, get over the line for a try etc, no one got shitty when it got knocked down...attacking team gets the ball and play on...we just seem obsessed with the idea that rules and punishments for breaking those rules will open a game up and make it exciting rather than...just opening it up

edit: id probably be less worried if we stuck to "knocked up v knocked down"...but seeing guys that have knocked it up into the air, run and even dove after it to try and regather get carded because the ref decided they didn;t have a realistic chance...it just seems like were looking for reasons to give cards

Last edited:

Latest posts