• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE IRB's RULES ON NATIONAL SELECTION ?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Apr 1 2009, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My point is very very simple.

A ) As a rugby fan, i do not want to see Rugby Mercenaries playing for any country,

B ) I want to see a Team that represent my country and my country's players playing such like opposition

C ) I would like the IRB to examine this situation and make a rule that stops the flow of Southern Pacific Islanders, kiwis and Ozzies to other countries to bolster their Rugby Teams.

D ) "Granny-gate" was the most embarrassing thing to happen to the WRU.[/b]

fine, well I think the England team represent my country well, as I've explained. Let's look at the opposition:

New Zealand is a country with a huge links to the Pacific Islands. Auckland is known as the Polynesian capital of the world, with huge numbers not only of native maori but also Tongan, Samoan and other islander immigrants. Along with Australia, NZ are the major economic power in the Pacific region, which means there are inevitably huge numbers of Islanders who travel to these bigger nations for a better life in the same way that Nigerians would travel to England. So I understand that there are a few New Zealanders and Australians with dubious nationality, but the fact is they represent the pull those two countries have on the region.

I don't mind the make-up of the South African side either. SA is the major power in their region, and attract thousands of immigrants from the neighbouring countries. This is reflected, if you like, by the presence of Zimbabweans Tendai Mtawarira, Tonderai Chavhanga and Brian Mujati in recent Springbok sides.

The USA has links with the pacific isles not just through Hawaii but also through American Samoa. There are a decent number of Islanders living in the USA, and considering rugby is a minority sport amongst more 'established' Americans, I don't think they cheat by getting in a lot of Islanders for their national team... I'm thinking Palamo, Sika, Tuipulotu, Palefau to name but a few. America also has a world-renowned collegiate system, which can give young foreigners a chance to make something of their lives in the world's largest country of immigrants. So I see no problem with Takudzwa Ngwenya playing for the USA having moved there to go to college.

'Granny' players I do have issues with; Italy are the worst at this but all of the other 6N countries were guilty at some point or another, thankfully not so much now. I think of Henry Paul for England, Tony Marsh for France, and a whole bunch for the Celtic teams. Ireland are probably the best on this, all I can think of is Rob Henderson. But really, with the exception of Italy, none realy do this anymore, and Italy do so because there's such a paucity of Italian players who are up to it. England always beat them anyway so I really couldn't care less.

Fact is, Riki Flutey was an average player when he came over here... a scrum half at that. He did well for London Irish, before moving to Wasps and winning awards and ***les, and somewhere along the line, in England and at Wasps, he played inside centre. He's the form footballing 12 in the UK, and he's eligible for the Lions. I agree that the residency rule should be extended but at the same time Flutey's lived here for 3 years which is enough, made his reputation here, and deserves to tour. There's no reason in my mind why he wouldn't go.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Apr 2 2009, 12:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The USA has links with the pacific isles not just through Hawaii but also through American Samoa. There are a decent number of Islanders living in the USA, and considering rugby is a minority sport amongst more 'established' Americans, I don't think they cheat by getting in a lot of Islanders for their national team... I'm thinking Palamo, Saki, Tuipulotu, Palefau to name but a few. America also has a world-renowned collegiate system, which can give young foreigners a chance to make something of their lives in the world's largest country of immigrants. So I see no problem with Takudzwa Ngwenya playing for the USA having moved there to go to college.

'Granny' players I do have issues with; Italy are the worst at this but all of the other 6N countries were guilty at some point or another, thankfully not so much now. I think of Henry Paul for England, Tony Marsh for France, and a whole bunch for the Celtic teams. Ireland are probably the best on this, all I can think of is Rob Henderson. But really, with the exception of Italy, none realy do this anymore, and Italy do so because there's such a paucity of Italian players who are up to it. England always beat them anyway so I really couldn't care less.

Fact is, Riki Flutey was an average player when he came over here... a scrum half at that. He did well for London Irish, before moving to Wasps and winning awards and ***les, and somewhere along the line, in England and at Wasps, he played inside centre. He's the form footballing 12 in the UK, and he's eligible for the Lions. I agree that the residency rule should be extended but at the same time Flutey's lived here for 3 years which is enough, made his reputation here, and deserves to tour. There's no reason in my mind why he wouldn't go.[/b]

Just to help your point Albert Tuipulotu went to San Mateo High School and then went to Portland State University in Oregon(he also got invited to the Pittsburgh Steelers Training Camp) his Uncle was also on the USA 7s team Eric Tuipulotu. Next Thretton Palamo also went to high school in the USA where he got invited to play for U.S. (U-16) Jr. Olympics in Basketball. Salesi Sika went to BYU(one of usa college rugby big hitters) and was select into US player pool from there. Then as for Ngwenya he came to the US after high school and played for the rugby team in Plano, Texas, making the Texas select side and eventually the U-19 National Team.

And my opinion on the subject is you should have to have citizenship in the country you are trying to play for cause its to serious to change your citizenship just to play for another country(although i can see Flutey doing it) and it also gives people a reason to stay and play in there own country.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Apr 2 2009, 07:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
'Granny' players I do have issues with; Italy are the worst at this but all of the other 6N countries were guilty at some point or another, thankfully not so much now. I think of Henry Paul for England, Tony Marsh for France, and a whole bunch for the Celtic teams. Ireland are probably the best on this, all I can think of is Rob Henderson. But really, with the exception of Italy, none realy do this anymore, and Italy do so because there's such a paucity of Italian players who are up to it. England always beat them anyway so I really couldn't care less.[/b]

you disagree with what the Italians do but you see no difference between that and what the ENGLISH do ?

Please explain

Flutey and Kane Robertson are both Kiwis, who get paid more to play rugby for a club in Europe, recieve that cash for a few years then the national unions come calling and ask them to become a pom or an itai...!

Mercenaries.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Apr 2 2009, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Apr 2 2009, 07:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
'Granny' players I do have issues with; Italy are the worst at this but all of the other 6N countries were guilty at some point or another, thankfully not so much now. I think of Henry Paul for England, Tony Marsh for France, and a whole bunch for the Celtic teams. Ireland are probably the best on this, all I can think of is Rob Henderson. But really, with the exception of Italy, none realy do this anymore, and Italy do so because there's such a paucity of Italian players who are up to it. England always beat them anyway so I really couldn't care less.[/b]

you disagree with what the Italians do but you see no difference between that and what the ENGLISH do ?

Please explain

Flutey and Kane Robertson are both Kiwis, who get paid more to play rugby for a club in Europe, recieve that cash for a few years then the national unions come calling and ask them to become a pom or an itai...!

Mercenaries.
[/b][/quote]

because the Italians have granny players and England don't.

You continue to try and make this out to sound like it's a massive conspiracy by the RFU to scout the world for stars and get them picked for England. In fact there's only 1 'controversial' player and he was crap before he came here.

Anyway give it a few years and you won't have to worry about Flutey because the mighty Jordan Turner-Hall will be occupying 12. And if he isn't I'll kill Martin Johnson.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Apr 2 2009, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
the mighty Jordan Turner-Hall will be occupying 12. And if he isn't I'll kill Martin Johnson.[/b]
i know where you can buy a gun.

jordan turner-hall is the kind of player that foreigners like flutey are preventing from gaining experience

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Apr 2 2009, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Apr 2 2009, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the mighty Jordan Turner-Hall will be occupying 12. And if he isn't I'll kill Martin Johnson.[/b]

jordan turner-hall is the kind of player that foreigners like flutey are preventing from gaining experience
[/b][/quote]

Not really. JT-H is getting plenty of experience in the starting XV for Harlequins, playing outside Nick Evans. I was at the Quins game last night, and yes it was Worcester's B team, but JTH takes the crash ball brilliantly and knows how to straighten the line and offload. In a few years time he'll be made for the England 12 shirt. And by that time, Flutey will be into his 30s. Flutey's not getting in anyone's way... tbh he's England-qualified so he can't be getting in the way. Dominic Waldouck has had a lot of oppurtunities at Wasps in the centre, so he's hardly been prevented by Flutey's presence.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Apr 2 2009, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Apr 2 2009, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Apr 2 2009, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Not really. JT-H is getting plenty of experience in the starting XV for Harlequins, playing outside Nick Evans. I was at the Quins game last night, and yes it was Worcester's B team, but JTH takes the crash ball brilliantly and knows how to straighten the line and offload. In a few years time he'll be made for the England 12 shirt. And by that time, Flutey will be into his 30s. Flutey's not getting in anyone's way... tbh he's England-qualified so he can't be getting in the way. Dominic Waldouck has had a lot of oppurtunities at Wasps in the centre, so he's hardly been prevented by Flutey's presence.
[/b][/quote]

so flutey is in their way because they are not playing...!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Apr 2 2009, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Apr 2 2009, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Apr 2 2009, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

so flutey is in their way because they are not playing...!
[/b][/quote]

yeh but they're not good enough for england at the moment... :eek: plus, flutey is in their way like ellis is in care's way. The succession is inevitable, just the successor isn't quite ready. No more than that.

I think you should be allowed to play for any country you feel most connected with as long as you have the family close enough but if you play for one country you shouldn't swap to another.

I'm Welsh and was brought up there by my Welsh father and English mother but was born in England whilst on holiday visiting relatives (true story).

My Grandad is Irish and I've lived in Scotland most my life. I also have a Grandmother who was born in Kenya.

Who should I play for? ;)

Run that by me again would you. All I saw was the reference to the English mother (sorry about that mate) and I got a bit confused.....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Apr 2 2009, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Run that by me again would you. All I saw was the reference to the English mother (sorry about that mate) and I got a bit confused.....[/b]

Funnily enough, she supports Ireland ;)

She used to support Ireland to keep her Grandad happy when they went to England-Ireland games when she was young.

But anyway, the point is I can play for Wales, England, Ireland, Kenya and ... Scotland I think.

Just put an import quota on teams like clubs do. An import would include anyone who is not a citizen.

Latest posts